• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Norte with a campervan, any advice?

William Mckenzie

Time of past OR future Camino
Portugal
Looking at walking the Camino norte through the winter months, sometimes walking route in both directions, sometime s walking & getting transport back to my van, feeling not having to depend on sleeping in hostels may be a good thing during the pandemic. Any advice on walking the Camino norte Dec,Jan Feb or I'm I mad?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
On the CN now and there are plenty of VanLife folks since the coastline is a surfing paradise. So you won’t be alone at night, but I’d imagine the trail will be fairly empty in places since it can be a bit treacherous in inclement weather (heck, it’s tough in nice weather, too!). Not sure it would feel like a Camino the way you have it planned, but it certainly would be a lovely hiking holiday at the shore.

Hi William
I see you joined the Forum in 2017 - and this is your first message... welcome!
I think that's an interesting idea and could make for an intriguing but demanding and time-consuming camino. Obviously the weather will be challenging, especially - I imagine - sleeping in the van when the temperatures are around freezing. I experienced snow and a couple of unheated albergues in early April around Comillas-Colombres and really didn't like it.
On the plus side, if you're a seasoned vanner then you'll probably be able to sniff out places along the coast where overnighters are tolerated. And these might include some great coastal locations.
You also have the novel possibility of doing circular walks using the alternative or coastal path options (as per Gronze).
I'd say definitely go for it and see what happens. If you meet other pilgrims and find out that albergues are actually a viable option (and who knows what the COVID situation will be then anyway), you might want to park up and continue on foot - who knows...?
Good luck, tom

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am so glad you have asked this question. I want to do the same thing with our motorhome but looking at the responses to cyclists I decided not to. I cannot get my head around ‘only one way to be a true pilgrim’. For me it is personal and we all do what we know we can do. If you do go for it would love to hear how you find it. I think finding a stopover for the MH will be relatively easy. I have been very tentatively planning but hadn’t thought of circular routes. I was thinking of a taxi back to the MH. Was thinking early Spring for walking so hopefully wouldn’t be facing the worst weather. Good luck with your camino and look forward to reading about it.

Most read last week in this forum

I have been incredibly inspired by so many stories of loss, pain, diagnosis, or other stories that tug at my heart strings, but one pilgrim, since lost in the threads here, was an 83 year old man...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back