• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino novice question no.2

Mary O Connor

Time of past OR future Camino
French way May 2017
Hello,

I am starting on Sunday and I just want to know do I need a sleeping bag? I have a sleeping bag liner and I was just going to use that. Will I be warm enough do you think?

Some of the alburgue's I hope to stay in provide duvets/blankets.....

Just trying to lessen the load but be sensible also...all advice appreciated.
Thank you
Mary

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
There are hundreds of posts on the forum on this topic. Conclusion: You will not know until you are there whether you "need" a sleeping bag. Half the people will say "yes" and half will say "no." You have to decide whether you prefer to carry it and maybe not need it, or not carry it and maybe be cold a few nights. ;)

As I was walking in August/September last year I didn't want to take a complete sleeping bag, so I hedged my bets by taking a very small, very lightweight down blanket. It only added 7 ounces to my pack, and I didn't need it's warmth very often, but I was happy to have it. On the hot, sticky nights I put it underneath my silk liner to add insulation between me and the plastic covered mattress.
The blankets in the some of the albergues looked nice, but others were pretty sketchy.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You will not die if you don't have a sleeping bag.

You are allowed to be uncomfortable. Some might argue that suffering is an integral part of a pilgrimage.

So, no, you don't ... need .... a sleeping bag.

You might consider sleeping in a cold place to determine if your sleeping bag liner is enough, a place with room temperature around 10 Celcius. Then you'll know.

After the constrictions of a sleeping bag I tried using the blankets provided and had a great nights sleep.
A liner will probably suffice at this time of year.

Hi Mary
I just got back from the VDLP. About a third of the time I revelled in albergues that provided full bedding. Mmmm lovely. Another third of the time I used my liner with the albergue's slightly iffy looking blankets. No problema. Another third of the time it was boiling so I just used the liner. BUT.... one night was freeeeeezing: I needed my sleeping bag and the blankets. I am the kind of person who will be utterly miserable and grouchy after even one night of being too cold, so I carry a light (500g) sleeping bag and a liner (and a pillowcase). Now May is hotter than April, but there is always the odd chilly albergue. It also depends where you live, how tolerant you are of being cold. Me I hate it, so for me carrying 500g on 16 days I didn't need it, for the sake of 1 night I did is well worth it.

Just don't take a big heavy sleeping bag.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello,

I am starting on Sunday and I just want to know do I need a sleeping bag? I have a sleeping bag liner and I was just going to use that. Will I be warm enough do you think?

Thank you
Mary
Hi Mary
I just got back from the VDLP. About a third of the time I revelled in albergues that provided full bedding. Mmmm lovely. Another third of the time I used my liner with the albergue's slightly iffy looking blankets. No problema. Another third of the time it was boiling so I just used the liner. BUT.... one night was freeeeeezing: I needed my sleeping bag and the blankets. I am the kind of person who will be utterly miserable and grouchy after even one night of being too cold, so I carry a light (500g) sleeping bag and a liner (and a pillowcase). Now May is hotter than April, but there is always the odd chilly albergue. It also depends where you live, how tolerant you are of being cold. Me I hate it, so for me carrying 500g on 16 days I didn't need it, for the sake of 1 night I did is well worth it.

Hi Mary

Hi Mary,
Best of luck on your Camino. I did it last year from June to end of.The weather was very hot in the day,rain in Galicia which is common and despite the warm days it was chilly at night. Some of the albergues do not offer blankets or any utensils, especially the xunta ones.So maybe a very cheap light sleeping bag or blanket is handier than the compact travel one I got.it weighed about 7 0z's .The one my friend had was bulkier but so light,was a cheap version from Heatons I think.
Hope this helps,
All the best ,
Anna from Ireland.

There is another option. Bring the sleep system you have and don't worry about needing a heavier bag for a night or two. Just wear your fleece, down jacket or rain coat to bed. A windbreaker acts like a vapor barrier and keeps me warm if it gets cold. And don't forget to wear a hat.
Everything in your pack should have multiple uses. I am a long distance hiker that sleeps under a tarp for months at a time and some nights I wear everything in my pack. My sleep system for the Camino is a silk liner, a neoair pillow and a breathable emergency bivi sack made by SOL. Yes a down bag is more cozy but my 12 ounce total weight sleep system fits in a gallon Ziploc and my feet thank me every day.
But to each their own. Buen Camino

As I was walking in August/September last year I didn't want to take a complete sleeping bag, so I hedged my bets by taking a very small, very lightweight down blanket. It only added 7 ounces to my pack, and I didn't need it's warmth very often, but I was happy to have it. On the hot, sticky nights I put it underneath my silk liner to add insulation between me and the plastic covered mattress.
The blankets in the some of the albergues looked nice, but others were pretty sketchy.
great idea. what kind of shop would you find a very lightweight down blanket? i'm in London

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I plan to walk into Santiago tomorrow. Began in SJPP on 15 April so today is Day 32. I have only a liner. The only albergues that I experienced without blankets were Roncevalles and O'Cebreiro. I slept in my base layer (top and bottom) and did not get cold.

This is an "ask 10 people get 11 answers" type question. I took a 1 season snugpak rectangular sleeping bag with me in July 2015. The advantage of being rectangular was that you could open it up so it became like a light blanket. Some of the nights I needed it, others (like in the new build Albergue in Larrasoana) I definitely didn't. I already have the same sleeping bag packed for this July.

Hello,

Thank you
Mary
great idea. what kind of shop would you find a very lightweight down blanket? i'm in London
How about a sleeping bag for indoor with liner? How about troubles on bed bugs or lice?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
A liner was fine for me and I walk in May or September. If I was ever cold I'd throw on my fleece or ask for a blanket.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back