• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino numbers for 2008

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
as someone planning their camino for 2010 i tend to be view the increasing numbers with dread ( july 20,000) wondering if the camino is reaching saturation point,
but then my partner points out that in july and august 1999 the numbers were 35000 and 45000,while the numbers for the whole year in 1998 were only 32000.
so i now resolve not to worry about how many people will be sharing my camino,but on how many public toilets there are ( any figures?) or should i welcome that ticker tape welcome of tissue paper the will adorn my route?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I walked through June, and finished in Snatiago at the beginning of July, and had no problems getting accommodation. As the numbers have grown, so too have the available beds. If you walk in July and August, or around the time of the various May public holidays, you can probably expect demand to outstrip supply.

There don't tend to be 'public toilets' in Spain: you use the local bars, which are very common. I didn't see much toilet paper adorning the route.

I did get myself a bit hyper-ventilated by the numbers walking between Sarria and Portomarin, but I guess that's what happens close to Santiago....
Margaret

The biggest crowds will be the last 100kms - starting at Sarria.
I think, if I was walking the camino Frances again, I would get a bus from Sarria to Lugo then to Ferrol and do the last 100kms from there.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
how much toilet paper is "lots," when it´s left along the road?

I am seeing what I´d consider a LOT of toilet paper along the trails... some of it is right on the trail itself! Litter is not so onerous to clean up, but some things even I won´t touch.

I can´t see many solutions. I wish they made TP in more nature-friendly colors. Meantime, an attitude of resignation is about all you can do.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Rebekah Scott said:
how much toilet paper is "lots," when it´s left along the road?

I am seeing what I´d consider a LOT of toilet paper along the trails... some of it is right on the trail itself! Litter is not so onerous to clean up, but some things even I won´t touch.

I can´t see many solutions. I wish they made TP in more nature-friendly colors. Meantime, an attitude of resignation is about all you can do.

I recall reading some very down-to-earth advice (see below), either here or on another forum. I think we should be promoting these sensible guidelines:
1. Nobody needs use paper for a wee/pee/whatever your euphemism is. If you're a woman worrying about drips, you can use pantie liners. (This has the advantage that you can make a pair of pants do more than one day, so save on washing.)
This would reduce the litter enormously.
2. If you HAVE to do a poo en route, dig/scrape a little hole and bury the actual 'offering'. But keep old plastic bags in your pocket (like dog walkers) and put the dirty paper in a bag, tie it up and put it in the next bin you come to.

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back