• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino numero 4

Roger Hogstrom

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2001 and 2006, Via de la plata 2007,2010,2017,2019. CdM 3 times Ruta de la lana (2021
Started camino de Madrid 29/6 and finished 13/7 2022. Fantastic 13 days . Started out 5-6 in the morning with nice temperature, 15-18 Celcius. Stopped walking around one oclock because of the heat. Sat in the shade with vine when the real heat arrived, 30+. Open albergues from Alcazaren and forward to Sahagun. Before that no problem finding somewhere to sleep. Manzanares el real has a very nice hostal/albergue and casa Rurales in other places. Casa Paca in Coca was a fantastic place. 25 Euros/person with breakfast. Washingmachine for free.
Met 4 other peregrinos in 13 days. This year I walked with my son and we left Madrid yesterday and they had 41 degrees in the afternoon. Picture are coming from this amazing trip, my fourth Camino de Madrid.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi Roger thanks for posting about the Madrid. I am going in September, hopefully, but according to Gronze the Albergue at Santa Maria de Real de Nieva is closed? Did you stay in this town?
Also I enquired in Coca about Casa la Paca but there is no availability and the Albergue there is also closed?
Any chance you could post the stops you had and the accommodation? I think because of no affordable accommodation in Coca, I might need to change my plan. But perhaps others have a;ternative suggestions?
thanks in advance

Hi Roger thanks for posting about the Madrid. I am going in September, hopefully, but according to Gronze the Albergue at Santa Maria de Real de Nieva is closed? Did you stay in this town?
Also I enquired in Coca about Casa la Paca but there is no availability and the Albergue there is also closed?
Any chance you could post the stops you had and the accommodation? I think because of no affordable accommodation in Co:ca, I might need to change my plan. But perhaps others have a;ternative suggestions?
thanks in advance
We staid at Hostal Avanto 1.5 km outside town. You dont have to walk into town just take a road in Pinilla de Ambros to the hostal. Nice place with food and fantastic owners. Made us breakfast in the morning.
The owner of Casa Paca told us that he cant be on Booking because he of chanses of doublebooking. When we arrived he had 5 rooms and at night we were 3 people there. In Booking it looked as it it was full.
Good luck, Roger

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks. No spoke direct to Casa de Paca and she definitely doesn't have availability for my date. Think the only option is to walk a further 6.7k to Villeguillo where there looks to be an Albergue?
Did you find any other Albergues closed on the Madrid?

At coca I stayed at la rocanda apartments. Pricey but worth it.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Started camino de Madrid 29/6 and finished 13/7 2022. Fantastic 13 days . Started out 5-6 in the morning with nice temperature, 15-18 Celcius. Stopped walking around one oclock because of the heat. Sat in the shade with vine when the real heat arrived, 30+. Open albergues from Alcazaren and forward to Sahagun. Before that no problem finding somewhere to sleep. Manzanares el real has a very nice hostal/albergue and casa Rurales in other places. Casa Paca in Coca was a fantastic place. 25 Euros/person with breakfast. Washingmachine for free.
Met 4 other peregrinos in 13 days. This year I walked with my son and we left Madrid yesterday and they had 41 degrees in the afternoon. Picture are coming from this amazing trip, my fourth Camino de Madrid.
How wonderful for you! I started from Madrid on 1 June and had a superb time. I loved the albergues in Alcazaren, Villeguillo and Penaflor- such great stops. Some of the farm stretches did go on a bit ! It’s such a great option for those that don’t want a party Camino and prefer quiet walking and some alone time. Glad you had a great time 💪

How wonderful for you! I started from Madrid on 1 June and had a superb time. I loved the albergues in Alcazaren, Villeguillo and Penaflor- such great stops. Some of the farm stretches did go on a bit ! It’s such a great option for those that don’t want a party Camino and prefer quiet walking and some alone time. Glad you had a great time 💪
Thanks Skevin for confirming there is an albergue at Villeguillo as there is no available accommodation in Coca :)

Thanks Skevin for confirming there is an albergue at Villeguillo as there is no available accommodation in Coca :)
Yep - key at the bar. The lady there is really lovely. Please make sure you have enough food I can’t recall any supermarkets for about a week from there.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
yes, so you can get a meal at the bar?
Yes, light meals _ but def not late. I think they had meals at 7pm if you asked them at check in a bit earlier - was the kind of place that had such few people . I think I saw 2 others entire time I was there. The lady was super nice I remember her well. Albergue had a small kitchen and microwave plus a lot of beds ( I was only one as usual on the Camino de Madrid !). Are you walking now ?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks again. No not starting to start of September. I just like to plan ahead!
Thanks again. No not starting to start of September. I just like to plan ahead!
How wonderful. I wish you a fantastic Camino. It’s a wonderful route . Please send a direct message if needed I’m happy to answer any questions. Go well .

Thanks. No spoke direct to Casa de Paca and she definitely doesn't have availability for my date. Think the only option is to walk a further 6.7k to Villeguillo where there looks to be an Albergue?
Did you find any other Albergues closed on the Madrid?
Santa Maria la real de Nieva and Coca where the 2 Albergues we found closed 😊😊

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm stopping at the albergue in Ane tomorrow, making for a shorter walking day compared to Cercedilla to Segovia. But no food and no bar, are they crazy? I guess I'll have to bring my beer and food from Segovia.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Question about terrain on Madrid. I am hearing there is a combination of road, sand and a couple of steep rocky descents along with normal paths/ascents etc.. Would trail runners or boots be better? I know a couple of experienced walkers including @peregrina2000 are trail runners fans and I have bought a pair but just can't make up my mind what to take!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Caroline! Hi! My friend from Friol! Which way will you be going once you get to Sahagún? So many good choices.

Buen camino, Laurie
Hi Laurie,
How are you?!
From Sahagún I will walk or take the train to Léon. Depends on how many time I have. From León I wil walk the San Salvador to Oviedo, and then walk the Primitivo (again :)) to Santiago the Compostelle.

Question about terrain on Madrid. I am hearing there is a combination of road, sand and a couple of steep rocky descents along with normal paths/ascents etc.. Would trail runners or boots be better? I know a couple of experienced walkers including @peregrina2000 are trail runners fans and I have bought a pair but just can't make up my mind what to take!!
You don’t need boots @laineylainey

Do you use walking poles? Good for support

Buen camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I walked the Camino de Madrid in Trail Runners in June and they were perfect!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello I am in the planning phase of the Camino de Madrid. Hoping to start walking in late May. The Confraternity of James' guidebook in out of print and no longer available, so I have been basing...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.