• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino of a Different Color

RumAndChupacabras

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Jul-Sept 2019: Six weeks in Northern Spain.
Apr 2018 Asturias
May 2016 CP: Portuguese
We're taking six weeks (Lord WIlling) to scout all over Northern Spain, for a place to buy. Hoping to find a place with an extra bedroom (or two) and 2 or more bathrooms and...very close to a Camino route because, the ability to take in Peregrinos (but, not as in a full blown albergue) appeals to us greatly.

Business and Camino don't exactly go hand-in-hand for most people I'm guessing but, how can I go to Spain and not Camino?! Impossible for this Gal. So, I've been working very hard on trying to resurrect a long dead Lebaniego route, leading to Santo Toribio which, you can read about here, if you like.

In any event, Spain is just around the corner. We'll even be meeting up with several lovely Forum Members who have moved to and now work in Spain and, that's very exciting. So, no matter which Camino we walk...on top of it all, it will all be a blessing! ;)

Be gone, racked brain!
1563991260446.png

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Amazing idea with your small albergue. Good luck!!!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We're taking six weeks (Lord WIlling) to scout all over Northern Spain, for a place to buy. Hoping to find a place with an extra bedroom (or two) and 2 or more bathrooms and...very close to a Camino route because, the ability to take in Peregrinos (but, not as in a full blown albergue) appeals to us greatly.

Business and Camino don't exactly go hand-in-hand for most people I'm guessing but, how can I go to Spain and not Camino?! Impossible for this Gal. So, I've been working very hard on trying to resurrect a long dead Lebaniego route, leading to Santo Toribio which, you can read about here, if you like.

In any event, Spain is just around the corner. We'll even be meeting up with several lovely Forum Members who have moved to and now work in Spain and, that's very exciting. So, no matter which Camino we walk...on top of it all, it will all be a blessing! ;)

Be gone, racked brain!
View attachment 61617
There's not much chance we would meet at your safe haven because I'm not really fan of Northern Caminos (too much ups/downs and constantly changing weather) but I sincerely wish you a lot of luck in your upcoming endeavour :)
Keep the faith!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Could be an interesting thread to hear from people who have decided to settle in Spain pursuant to a Camino walk. I wish I could talk my significant other into it, but she has been pretty resistant so far.

There's not much chance we would meet at your safe haven because I'm not really fan of Northern Caminos (too much ups/downs and constantly changing weather) but I sincerely wish you a lot of luck in your upcoming endeavour :)
Keep the faith!
Kinky, which northern caminos do you speak of besides I assume the Norte? Have you already walked the routes once, but they do not appeal to you? Just curious.

ice
Kinky, which northern caminos do you speak of besides I assume the Norte? Have you already walked the routes once, but they do not appeal to you? Just curious.
As northern Caminos I understand all of those that start/end north of CF. I walked only two of them (Bayona, Salvador) and that was quite enough for me because of the reasons I posted above. I have had my share of mountains in my early life as a climber but once I discovered Meseta and Tierra de Campos I immediately knew where my spiritual home is. Views from mountain tops could be amazing but you have to work so hard to get there and also I kind of feel trapped being in mountains. In plains I feel free as a bird. Triple Crown definitely isn't for me but I wouldn't think very long about walking across Australia for example if there would be some service every 30kms or so :D

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I get what you are saying, Kinky. Although mountain views are beautiful, their vastness makes me feel insignificant and a little "lonely" for lack of a better word. I've seen many beautiful mountains in our national parks in the western United States, so have no need to travel far and wide to other countries to see more of them, prefering to walk Caminos and experience different cultures.

Last edited:
There's another Camino route that's being resurrected. It's sometimes known as the Primitivo Frances. It was the route from France previous to the full Northern Reconquista when the current Camino Frances was non-existent or too dangerous from the perils of Mores attacks to travel along. About 6 or seven years ago they found tombs of pilgrims, recognisable because of the items they were buried with, like shells.

It goes along the old Roman road, via 34, that joined Bordeaux in France with Astorga in the province of Leon. There's a strong initiative to reinstate this route but I believe it lacks albergues and places to stay other than regular small hotels. The picture attached is the monastery of Zamartze in Uharte Araki, Northern Navarra, on the route.

Good luck with your endeavour and I'm sure you'll find the perfect place.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2019-09-12 at 11.05.42.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2019-09-12 at 11.05.42.jpeg
    212.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Be gone, racked brain!
View attachment 61617
So have I missed any updates on how your quest is going? The last I remember (I think) —you had some foot problems in Oviedo? Hope all is well. Buen camino, Laurie

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi pilgrims , last year i had some spare days and i walked from Irun to Santander , so my plan for this year was to start in Bilbao and walk to Santiago in 24 days . It turned out that i can...
Hi, ive been training for my CDN in two weeks time and thought i'd get some UK coastline under my belt (Scarborough to Robin hoods Bay). I have to say i was just not prepared for the amount for...
hello We plan to walk from Irún to San Sebastián first day in Mid May and looking for feedback on how long it takes. Think we are up to it but will be our first day. Thanks for your thoughts and...
Please, am I mad to contemplate the following combo: Norte: Biarritz-Bayonne-Irun-Santander (via Bayonne to get my legs going) Santander - train to Leon San Salvador - Leon to Oviedo Primitivo -...
I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
What is the most beautiful seven day section on the Camino del Norte? I have a good friend who cannot come with me for the entire walk. She is only available for a week. I start from Irun. She...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back