• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Camino Olvidado Guide created by one of our forum members

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Camino Olvidado - 2019 Guide in English

peregrinorog

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2005/11/13, Norte 2007, Portuguese 2011, ViaDP 2013, Primitivo 2015/17, Madrid 2017, El Salv
In April/May this year I walked the Camino Olvidado, via Vegacervera after extracting as much information from the various threads in the Forum and Ender's Guide kindly posted by Peregrina 2000. I can vouch for its beauty, except perhaps the initial 50ks from Bilbao, as well as its capability to test your fitness. However, I found Ender's Guide, in several places, inaccurate and confusing, also the marking varied greatly. As a consequence I have written a detailed Guide in English and given it to the CSJ. The basic information may be found on their website under routes in Spain. The Guide is available by emailing CSJ.

As

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
In April/May this year I walked the Camino Olvidado, via Vegacervera after extracting as much information from the various threads in the Forum and Ender's Guide kindly posted by Peregrina 2000. I can vouch for its beauty, except perhaps the initial 50ks from Bilbao, as well as its capability to test your fitness. However, I found Ender's Guide, in several places, inaccurate and confusing, also the marking varied greatly. As a consequence I have written a detailed Guide in English and given it to the CSJ. The basic information may be found on their website under routes in Spain. The Guide is available by emailing CSJ.

As
Thank you As. I plan to set off on 10 Or 11 July. Any chance you could post a copy here? CSJ are not always the quickest at replying. Thanks. Andrew

Thank you As. I plan to set off on 10 Or 11 July. Any chance you could post a copy here? CSJ are not always the quickest at replying. Thanks. Andrew
Yes, I sent an email off to the CSJ yesterday, however received automatic reply that they are away for a few weeks.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Freddy of CSJ is away until 28th June. If you email, orders@csj.org.uk, this address will be covered by staff on Tues 25 and Sat 29 June between 10.30 and 17.00. Otherwise tel 0207 928 9988. At present the Guide is available on a donativo basis and at present I believe it is in booklet form. However, if you request an email copy to be sent to you, they will probably do this. If there is sufficient demand CSJ will print the guide in their normal format.
Enjoy the Olvidado!

Hi! I'm also leaving the 10th from Bilbao. :) Do you know if many people walk/cycle the Olvidado?

Hi! I'm also leaving the 10th from Bilbao. :) Do you know if many people walk/cycle the Olvidado?

I have a flight tomorrow night into Santander.
Was hoping to get a blablacar direct, but they keep "rejecting my requests" 😂😂😂. My "Google translate Spanish" must be brutal. I really do not want to sleep in Santander.. always walk through it.

Hopefully will arrive to Bilbao Wednesday ... And may walk out a bit and train back first day, as nursing a sprained ankle. Then repeat
train out next morning...
I hope to go slower than normal, so may be passed out at some stage.😂

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have a flight tomorrow night into Santander.
Was hoping to get a blablacar direct, but they keep "rejecting my requests" 😂😂😂. My "Google translate Spanish" must be brutal. I really do not want to sleep in Santander.. always walk through it.

Hopefully will arrive to Bilbao Wednesday ... And may walk out a bit and train back first day, as nursing a sprained ankle. Then repeat
train out next morning...
I hope to go slower than normal, so may be passed out at some stage.😂
Courageous to start out with a sprained ankle :) Bursitis in my big toe has made me change my plans from walking into cycling the camino. But I cant find anything online about cycling the Olvidado! But yes, we might meet! :)

Courageous to start out with a sprained ankle :) Bursitis in my big toe has made me change my plans from walking into cycling the camino. But I cant find anything online about cycling the Olvidado! But yes, we might meet! :)

Well I've given ankle a month to mend. I'll walk 20km and then see how it is the following day. I have no knowledge of taking a bike. I know I was considering north Camino by bike because of injury a few years back, but thankfully dropped that idea, as it would only have worked for me if I stayed on the main roads.

The Olvidado is a recently resurrected route and consequently is unknown, although I am confident this will change in coming years. In 18 days in April and May I saw only 2 other walkers and about 4 cyclists. However, much of the marked walking route is unsuitable for bikes, which is probably why I did not see many cyclists. You would have to find your own route via carreteras or small roads.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The Olvidado is a recently resurrected route and consequently is unknown, although I am confident this will change in coming years. In 18 days in April and May I saw only 2 other walkers and about 4 cyclists. However, much of the marked walking route is unsuitable for bikes, which is probably why I did not see many cyclists. You would have to find your own route via carreteras or small roads.
Thank you! I don't mind making my own routes but I do fear being alone on the bike for 2 weeks.

That's why I was thinking of going from Oviedo and taking detours for example to Cadavedo/Ribadeo (on the Del Norte) and then back to Tineo on the Primitivo. Do you think I could meet some people to cycle with along the way? Sorry for the off-topic.

Freddy of CSJ is away until 28th June. If you email, orders@csj.org.uk, this address will be covered by staff on Tues 25 and Sat 29 June between 10.30 and 17.00. Otherwise tel 0207 928 9988. At present the Guide is available on a donativo basis and at present I believe it is in booklet form. However, if you request an email copy to be sent to you, they will probably do this. If there is sufficient demand CSJ will print the guide in their normal format.
Enjoy the Olvidado!
Thank you so much. Freddy just emailed the document. I'm literally on the bus to Dublin for Santander, and have the first few pages read. Super work, easy to read and informative. I appreciate all your insight and effort and memory. Aisling.

Rodger,
In vegacervega tonight..had the exact same running around on the green plateau part as the first yellow arrow for sure points forward but eventually away from the actual path. It does however bring you eventually to a fountain for cattle.. and the top of a hill at 1590. After that ...I crossed a fence and transfered through the big green bushes to the other side and a dirt road and another fountain with arrow.

May I say your guide has been most helpful..every day I say I must remember to tl you 'this and that'.. for example Nava is excellent..and new Alberge will open by Alfonso..but you can sleep there now.. retiilio was amazing alternative hike, although you did need a route on GPS track to get off the other side...
In olea, we ran into some strange business with Miquel, who put us in a house of a friend..and we ended up leaving the house (shocking dirty, sheets covered in strange marks and hair everywhere, dead flies by the 1000, poor guy who was taking the €20 was not cut out for 'hospitality', and walking around smoking in every room..another room had wires and plumping pipes instead of Light switches etc).
We decided to walk back 2 or 3km from the middle of nowhere to Olea and stay in Los Eros or something which was amazing.
GPS TRACK necessary for sure..
Now to decide where to go tomorrow.. Buiza just seems to close.. and was there before on San Salvador.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Aisling,
Thanks for your kind comments. Can you clarify that there is albergue accommodation at present in Nava run by Adolfo and the tel. number included in the guide is correct. Also what facilities are there, eg no of bunks/beds, kitchen etc. Any idea when the new albergue will open?
Really pleased to hear you tried the Arroyo-Retortillo option - so it does work! You say GPS is needed at the Retortillo end - does this mean the route is not marked all the way, also where does it meet the Camino?
Sorry to hear about the Olea experience, unfortunately this is one section where there is not a lot of accommodation options.
Please keep the comments coming as this way the guide information will be improved.
Buen Camino, Roger

Hi Aisling,
Thanks for your kind comments. Can you clarify that there is albergue accommodation at present in Nava run by Adolfo and the tel. number included in the guide is correct. Also what facilities are there, eg no of bunks/beds, kitchen etc. Any idea when the new albergue will open?
Really pleased to hear you tried the Arroyo-Retortillo option - so it does work! You say GPS is needed at the Retortillo end - does this mean the route is not marked all the way, also where does it meet the Camino?
Sorry to hear about the Olea experience, unfortunately this is one section where there is not a lot of accommodation options.
Please keep the comments coming as this way the guide information will be improved.
Buen Camino, Roger
Hello Roger, look at my Camino Olvidado Guide from Bilbao - May 2018.
Adolfo is still waiting for the licence for the newly built Albergue. Cheers Mick.

Hi Mick.
Thanks for the info. Can you confirm that Adolfo has an albergue in the old school open at present that peregrinos can stay in. Also is the tel. number in your Guide still valid. The reason I ask is that Ender, in his Guide of 2019, has stated there is no accommodation in Nava. Thanks again. R.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Mick.
Thanks for the info. Can you confirm that Adolfo has an albergue in the old school open at present that peregrinos can stay in. Also is the tel. number in your Guide still valid. The reason I ask is that Ender, in his Guide of 2019, has stated there is no accommodation in Nava. Thanks again. R.
The old school is not an Albergue. It it is used as a community centre for the small village. I stayed there on a very comfortable sofa and was glad of it. Pilgrims will be allowed to stay there until the Albergue opens.The telephone number is still valid.Cheers Mick.

Last edited:
Ender does know Adolfo and knows about the informal arrangement. He was waiting until it became more formalized to put it in the guide. There are a couple of other places where similar informal “acogida” may be available, and I think it’s a tough decision, because you may wind up giving people false assurances. Anyway, I know others who have stayed with Adolfo, so it seems pretty secure. I met Adolfo back in 2015 when he walked with me and Susanna for several hours from Nava. He is a very nce guy and very dedicated to the Olvidado!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Aisling,
Buen Camino, Roger

Hi Roger,
Quiet reply on Nava first.
Yes, the info in your guide is correct on Adolfo.
The day I wanted to leave was really hot... And I was already struggling and hadn't left Bilboa.
I went to tourist office and Feve office and tried to figure out train times for one of the stops outside the city that you mentioned in your guide. I convinced tourist office lady to speak on my behalf to Adolfo. He recommended I get off train at la Balmaseda because of the heat and he was so right. In fact I passed a lot of time in the town hoping temperature would drop but know now that the heat tends to stay and even continue to rise until 6pm.
The walk to Nava was basically just follow arrows...lots of fountains and shade. I got there and Adolfo was so nice considering I have very little Spanish. His son Ivan turned up and was dragged into translating for me.
Basically, according to son, his dad loves walking... Loves pilgrims, loves the Camino, and loves working so when he retired recently his new project was to turn the 'old stable' part of his house in Alberge. Prior to this you could sleep in school across from his house.
The building he had 3 weeks back was still been worked on.. but he had 2 blowup beds and blankets ready for pilgrims.
This hostel when finished will be amazing. In a beautiful setting just by river and was so nice to sit on weir and watch evening go by.
The bar in town is also excellent and friendly and accommodating. (I'm veggie).
Adolfo is on committee of Bilboa Camino association. He is doing all the work himself and to a really good standard, but also practical. He understands what people want. He will have perhaps 4 separate cubicle /rooms with 1 bunk beds in each. The kitchen is small and compact but has industrial unit gone in... Wow.
Big living space and a big space at the back that possible could be more beds.. 4 toilets and 2 showers, but why shower when you can go to fab river with picturesque weir and picnic tables and shade etc.
He even has little stickers made for the Alberge creditential. I wish I could have spoken in Spanish with this man ... Amazing. He also organised that I stay in villasante the next day with Isabell, who is another incredible lady and opens her home to pilgrims. The route from Nava to Villasante... was complicated.. I'm not sure if that is because there are problems or if because a man who was also walking on that day, didn't have a GPS track and was following the advice of locals... And so we did some ridiculous road walking... And didn't go on paths which had arrows and matched my GPS. Lesson learnt for me.

Hello Roger, look at my Camino Olvidado Guide from Bilbao - May 2018.
Adolfo is still waiting for the licence for the newly built Albergue. Cheers Mick.
Mick.. Adolfo mentioned you with a big smile. That he doesn't forget people.

Where is Nava on the camino olvidado?

Take a look at the towns and distances in Ender’s Spanish guide. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LV...Do1GO9jT9twmOt3uVtGFZ5f4wFA2B3bO77TqiZGUl0VKc

It is a good second stage if you stop the first day in Güeñes. We walked on to Villasana because we wanted to visit the romanesque churches in Siones and Vallejo. They are exceptional, but I think I remember that you are not a fan. Apparently, histsorical records show that those two towns were definitely on the camino, but I don’t know if anyone is going to try to re-route it now.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Take a look at the towns and distances in Ender’s Spanish guide. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LV...Do1GO9jT9twmOt3uVtGFZ5f4wFA2B3bO77TqiZGUl0VKc

It is a good second stage if you stop the first day in Güeñes. We walked on to Villasana because we wanted to visit the romanesque churches in Siones and Vallejo. They are exceptional, but I think I remember that you are not a fan. Apparently, histsorical records show that those two towns were definitely on the camino, but I don’t know if anyone is going to try to re-route it now.
Thank you. It would have been easy to find on google if i had known previously it was not called Nava but Nava de Ordunte!

I did not have Nava listed on my spreadsheet for the Olvidado and wondered if i had missed a place. I understand why now as I plan to walk to Balmesada the first day and then on to Espinosa de los Monteros.

Well it would have been easy to find if i had known previously it was not called Nava but Nava de Ordunte!

I did not have Nava listed on my spreadsheet for the Olvidado and wondered if i had missed a place. I understand why now as I plan to walk to Balmesada the first day.
Well, since we’re being particular about the names of places on your spreadsheet, it’s Balmaseda, not Balmesada. 😄 We also walked the first day to Balmaseda and stayed in the hotel. Where are you going to go the second day?

:). I plan to stay at Hotel Convento San Roque (30 euros + iva for pilgrims!) in Balmaseda (sp!) and then walk to Espinosa de los Monteros the next day and staying in Hotel La Casa del Montero (35 euros). I like to know where I am staying for the first 2 nights as I settle into my routines.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello fellow pilgrims,

I'm new to the forums but have found it so helpful while planning my camino. :)

I'm currently on the Camino Frances in Nareja . I started in Arles ( end of May) walking mainly via Tolosana to Somport (I walked around to Lourdes from Marbourget and then connected to Oloron through via piemont). I finished the Camino Aragones section last (beautiful! Still swooning) and have been on the Frances for a few days. I'm looking to high tale it up Vitoria and hoping to connect to the Olvidado. Any help connecting via foot to the Olvidado from Vitoria or will I need to make it all the way to Bilbao?

Perigrino Rog, I sent an email to CSJ to find your guide as per advice. Thank you- I hope to hear back from them soon.

Peregrina, I believe you have a guide somewhere to download on the site but having a tough time finding it.

Hope everyone walking is having a buen camino right now. 😊

Hello fellow pilgrims,

I'm new to the forums but have found it so helpful while planning my camino. :)

I'm currently on the Camino Frances in Nareja . I started in Arles ( end of May) walking mainly via Tolosana to Somport (I walked around to Lourdes from Marbourget and then connected to Oloron through via piemont). I finished the Camino Aragones section last (beautiful! Still swooning) and have been on the Frances for a few days. I'm looking to high tale it up Vitoria and hoping to connect to the Olvidado. Any help connecting via foot to the Olvidado from Vitoria or will I need to make it all the way to Bilbao?

Perigrino Rog, I sent an email to CSJ to find your guide as per advice. Thank you- I hope to hear back from them soon.

Peregrina, I believe you have a guide somewhere to download on the site but having a tough time finding it.

Hope everyone walking is having a buen camino right now. 😊
Hi, pariksha,

Wow, you have covered a lot of ground! I think the Olvidado is a great camino to change to. And I highly recommend the mountain alternatives, they are all magnificent!

I have posted Ender's guide in Spanish. Ender is the person who coordinated all the markings and has been very involved in forming the association, getting albergues up and running, etc.

I have translated it into English, and he is working on the finishing touches, but it should be posted soon.

If you speak Spanish, you can find it here. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/hot-off-the-presses-—-guide-2019.60662/

As far as connecting to the Olvidado on foot from Vitoria (which is on the Camino Vasco, as you may know, which is also a beautiful camino), that could be difficult. Vitoria is southeast of Bilbao, and the Olvidado goes southwest from Bilbao. Look at google maps for Vitoria to Balmaseda, for instance, that's about 35 km from Bilbao on the Olvidado. I would just go to Bilbao if I were you and start there. Though the first day is virtually 100% asphalt, just a heads up. Buen camino, and let us know what you decide to do, Laurie

If you walk from Vitoria to Puebla de Arlanzon and Miranda de Ebro on the Via de Bayona, there's way to get to the Olvidado from there. Info here:

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If you walk from Vitoria to Puebla de Arlanzon and Miranda de Ebro on the Via de Bayona, there's way to get to the Olvidado from there. Info here:
Ah, yes, that’s the route we had been dreaming about earlier this year, VN!

Looking at caminka’s stages, she proposes two days on the Vasco (to Miranda de Ebro), and then from there it’s about 200 km (?) till you would connect to the Olvidado in Aguilar de Campoo. I do think Aguilar is a great place to start the Olvidado, because it is well before all of the nice mountain stages on the Olviddo and after all the asphalt walking out of Bilbao. The only correction I would make to Caminka’s great information is that she walked before the mountain alternatives from Guardo and from Boñar, both of which are described in the guide and are fabulous!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back