• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Camino Olvidado Guide created by one of our forum members

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Olvidado from Bilbao - Summer 2022

omicko

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances,
May 1999 and others.
GPS Tracks as well as previous experience of some Caminos or/and Hiking are essential for this Camino IMO.
Print the GUIDE in colour because RED INDICATES Accommodation, GREEN INDICATES Cafes, Supermarket etc.

Attachments

• CAMINO OLVIDADO FROM BILBOA SUMMER 2022.docx.pdf
    148 KB · Views: 99
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks, Omicko, always great to see updates. A few questions.

I’m assuming the Arija camping is back in the business of accepting peregrinos?

Any reason why you only listed one hostal in Cervera de Pisuerga? Google maps shows at least 6 or 7 private options. I’m asking because I remember that this spring, I think it was, someone who was walking was unable to find any place to stay in Cervera. So I’m wondering if a lot has closed. I know the albergue is closed, so sad, it was great.

In Caminayo, I have heard that several people have been able to sleep in the centro social. Did you hear anything about that? It would be a good way to break up that beautiful, but long, stage to Puente Almuhey.

Gronze says the albergue in Cistierna is only closed temporarily, did you hear anything about re-opening?

I notice that you, like most peregrinos, go straight from Congosto to Ponferrada. Ender’s guide adds information about going to Cabañas Raras (albergue) and then onto the Frances at Cacabelos, with ending in Villafranca del Bierzo.

For anyone who wants to get the “Olvidada” (the Olvidado’s equivalent of the Compostela), you can only get it, I believe, in Villafranca.

I know that there are some people walking the Olvidado as I write this, so hopefully they will see this update!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have just walked the Olvidado with friend Janet and to get the certificate in Villafranca it is at the tourist bureau ..but note ....the bureau is currently open10 to 12 in the morning only. That was on October 3 and we arrived after midday.
I agree GPS essential..on our smartphones. We used 2 apps Plus maps.me.

I have just walked the Olvidado with friend Janet and to get the certificate in Villafranca it is at the tourist bureau ..but note ....the bureau is currently open10 to 12 in the morning only. That was on October 3 and we arrived after midday.
Camping el Playa de Arija is definitely open for pilgrims. I am staying there tomorrow.

Would love to hear your impressions and tips. There is a growing group of municipal officials and camino junkies working to expand the albergue system. Did you stay in a lot of the albergues?

And I have asked Ender whether he can work on finding some other spot where the Olvidadas could be given out in the afternoon, which is when most walking peregrinos will arrive. I’ll keep you posted.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
And I have asked Ender whether he can work on finding some other spot where the Olvidadas could be given out in the afternoon, which is when most walking peregrinos will arrive. I’ll keep you posted.
Here is what I would do if wanting to walk to Villafranca and walk the Invierno; it's 22km from there to Carucedo, to pick up the Invierno before Las Medulas. You can't tell from the zoomed-out version but it looks like a lot is on tracks or small roads, in spite of big roads being nearby -
20221018_142915.jpg

Here is what I would do if wanting to walk to Villafranca and walk the Invierno; it's 22km from there to Carucedo, to pick up the Invierno before Las Medulas. You can't tell from the zoomed-out version but it looks like a lot is on tracks or small roads, in spite of big roads being nearby -
View attachment 135142
What a great idea. I think the Olvidado folks are a little disappointed that so many people (myself included, twice!) leave the Olvidado after Congosto and go straight to Ponferrada to get on the Invierno.

I suppose Ponferrada is a magnet for some, but I imagine that most Olvidado pilgrims have already walked the Francés and have been there. Picking up the Invierno before Médulas seems to solve it all!

Picking up the Invierno before Médulas seems to solve it all!
Indeed. And you see another corner of Bierzo that way. In addition to offering the full Olvidado experience, Villafranca is a favorite stop on the Frances - so it's really nice to see one can have the best of both worlds. Perhaps there could be a gentle request to Ender to scout this out on foot as an alternative (addition) for Invierno-bound pilgrims? I'm guessing most Olvidado pilgrims would prefer the Invierno to the Frances as a way to Santiago.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The mayor of Villafranca assured Ender that they will mail Olvidada certificates to people who complete the Olvidada in Villafranca. You can send a copy of your credencial and name and address to them at:
Oficina de Turismo de Villafranca del Bierzo,
Av. Díaz Ovelar, 10
24500 Villafranca del Bierzo, León, Spain

It might be much easier to try email with an attachment. Here is their email address
turismo@villafrancadelbierzo.org

Ender is going to follow up with the mayor to see if there would be some way to have a supply of them in the municipal albergue in Villafranca, and I’ll let you know. But for now, those who have completed the Olvidado and did not receive their Olvidada, here is a solution.

View attachment 135142
Ender will take a look at the route, but also saya that there is a good bus schedule from Villafranca to Ponferrada. He suggests the 5 pm bus after a good lunch in Villafranca.

I know there are those who don’t want to get on a bus while walking, so your suggestion is a good workaround. But I’m not sure he will go to the effort of marking it or publicizing it. I’ll let you know.

Yeah. I sure wouldn't want to take the bus.
And I can see why he wouldn't want to mark it. But easy enough to navigate by oneself - it's only 22kms!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Sitkapilgrim, what was your experience at Camping el Playa? Mick.
Fine. Once the elderly man understood I was happy to pay 30 euros for a bunk in a bungalow consisting of 2 bunk beds, one light, one electrical outlet, one window and one door, and that the bathroom facilities were a 2 minute walk from the bungalow, we got along just fine. He was quite sweet. It was a very quiet place and the night sky was bright of stars. If I understood him correctly, the price for 1 or 2 pilgrims was the same.

I’m assuming the Arija camping is back in the business of accepting peregrinos?
Well Laurie better late than never.The story, reported by @LTfit, was about CAMPING EL PLAYA DE ARIJA not allowing pilgrims to stay there in the cabins.I wrote this in the forum ”The reason Is because the pilgrims complained about the distance from their cabins to the shower block.
🤪
No this is not a sketch from Monty Pythons, the owner told me this. For a couple of minutes I had to suck up to him then he changed his mind and let me stay there.Whether they will change their nonsensical policy I don’t know but it’s worth giving it a try even if you can’t speak any Spanish by acting tired and being very calm with your passport and €15 in your hand. I have a feeling he won’t turn down the €15.”
@AshireGal a few weeks later stayed there although it was in a dearer Caravan and not in the very basic cabin.
I’ve just finished speaking to the owner but I think we were at cross purposes.He said they don’t want the business but that could be because I mentioned there was over 30,000 members on the forum.I have now sent them a simple email and I will take it from there.
Also the number that I had in my phone for the CAMPING is correct and the one in my 2022 GUIDE Is for the FAX.The one in the guide the last three numbers should be 300.Cheers,Mick.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Any reason why you only listed one hostal in Cervera de Pisuerga? Google maps shows at least 6 or 7 private options. I’m asking because I remember that this spring, I think it was, someone who was walking was unable to find any place to stay in Cervera. So I’m wondering if a lot has closed. I know the albergue is closed, so sad, it was great.
Laurie, I was walking at the time of the extreme heat with daily temperatures of 39°C.This on top of some of the longer than normal stages made my days extremely long with the heat taking my energy away.I was just glad that the first hostel I came to was open, the Hostal Pineda. There was another one opposite, Hostal El Resbalon, which later in the evening I went to but nobody was there.In the morning I went again but nobody was there also.
In Caminayo, I have heard that several people have been able to sleep in the centro social. Did you hear anything about that? It would be a good way to break up that beautiful, but long, stage to Puente Almuhey.
I did the shorter route to Puente Almuhey due to the extreme temperatures et cetera.Although I have done them both before in 2018 and 2019. When I was in Caminayo before the Mayor provided cakes and coffee for me in the central social. Cheers, Mick.

Gronze says the albergue in Cistierna is only closed temporarily, did you hear anything about re-opening?

Laurie, The Albergue in Cistierna was not available for pilgrims, when I was there in June, because it was being used to house refugees from the Ukraine.
I notice that you, like most peregrinos, go straight from Congosto to Ponferrada. Ender’s guide adds information about going to Cabañas Raras (albergue) and then onto the Frances at Cacabelos, with ending in Villafranca del Bierzo.
Time constraints only allowed me to do the Camino Olvidado by going to Ponferrada and finishing there.
I did the Camino Invierno 6 or 7 years ago from Ponferrada.If I had more time I would’ve gone to Villafranca del Bierzo then Carucedo to continue on the Camino Invierno. I can understand that some people might like to get the ‘Olvidada’. Cheers, Mick.

Laurie, The Albergue in Cistierna was not available for pilgrims, when I was there in June, because it was being used to house refugees from the Ukraine.
Time constraints only allowed me to do the Camino Olvidado by going to Ponferrada and finishing there.
I did the Camino Invierno 6 or 7 years ago from Ponferrada.If I had more time I would’ve gone to Villafranca del Bierzo then Carucedo to continue on the Camino Invierno. I can understand that some people might like to get the ‘Olvidada’. Cheers, Mick.

€83,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.