• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino on a Wheelchair

Dna

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to do the Portuguese Camino
Do you have any advices for the Coast Portuguese Camino on a wheelchair? Is it "possible"? Do you know any wheelchair adapted albergues? I am doing with a friend on a wheelchair next month, starting in Baiona. If you have any tips I will be very appreciate. Thank you. Regards

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Welcome to the forum, and I wish you and your friend bom caminho. I have no advice to offer, I am sorry, as I have no experience of the route you hope to take. Someone will surely comment who has the experience.

Do you have any advices for the Coast Portuguese Camino on a wheelchair? Is it "possible"? Do you know any wheelchair adapted albergues? I am doing with a friend on a wheelchair next month, starting in Baiona. If you have any tips I will be very appreciate. Thank you. Regards
I don't know about the Portuguese but some of the albergues on the Frances advertise their accessible facilities. I couldn't tell you which ones as it's not top of my agenda.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi and buen camino. I do not know if any of the sites such as Gronze.com or the apps or books mention albergues that are wheelchair accessible. I have not walked the coastal camino so I can not say for sure. But looking at some of the photos on Gronze it does not appear that way. I have walked 5 caminos and I can't remember ever seeing a wheelchair accessible albergue off the top of my head. I would tend to doubt there are many. So many albergues are on multiple levels, never have elevators, have cramped quarters, etc.
I did check on Booking.com and you can sort by "facilities for disabled guests", "wheelchair accessible" and "entire unit wheelchair accessable". This may be your best option but of course the most expensive one also.
I couldn't find anything either on a brief Google search but found this article with a few very good tips.

Good luck

Hi and buen camino. I do not know if any of the sites such as Gronze.com or the apps or books mention albergues that are wheelchair accessible. I have not walked the coastal camino so I can not say for sure. But looking at some of the photos on Gronze it does not appear that way. I have walked 5 caminos and I can't remember ever seeing a wheelchair accessible albergue off the top of my head. I would tend to doubt there are many. So many albergues are on multiple levels, never have elevators, have cramped quarters, etc.
I did check on Booking.com and you can sort by "facilities for disabled guests", "wheelchair accessible" and "entire unit wheelchair accessable". This may be your best option but of course the most expensive one also.
I couldn't find anything either on a brief Google search but found this article with a few very good tips.

Good luck
This is the site I've been using.

You can't search for facilities but if you read the descriptions/lists of facilities some do say they have accessible facilities.

Oh my! Good luck to you and your friend. I have no experience with wheelchairs on the Coastal Route, but I DO have experience on the Central Route. We met up with a young woman in a wheelchair a day out of Porto, in Vilarinho. We stayed with her for many days, and it took a team of men to get her through. Often she would just map out her own route along the highways, but several times we took turns pushing/pulling her through sections that she would not have chosen, had we not volunteered to bring her with us. You can read our story, starting on our day sixteen. I think the info will be useful. She was able to do very short distance walking, so she could stay anywhere, fortunately.

I have also walked the Coastal/Senda Litoral, but without a wheelchair person. There are lots of boardwalks to make it easier, albeit a bit rattly. You can see the many photos, starting here to get an idea of each of our day's journey and what the terrain looked like. I particularly recall on our day twenty, having to climb up and over a mountain pass, but that could be avoided by continuing on the road to Baiona. Oops, I see you are starting in Baiona so that won't matter!

You would have to look at each day's route and determine what would be best, based on how much you had to assist the person in the chair. We also found that many, many fellow pilgrims were willing to help push our friend if/when we got in a jam!

Good luck to you and buen camino! ~ Elle

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello again @Dna. After cruising through my photos, there will be some off-road sections that will be tricky for a person in a chair, especially on our day twenty-two, just after Arcade. Steep section on old Roman roads may require a look for an alternative!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I walked Baiona to SdC last September. Most of the route was wheelchair possible. There is a forest path about 13Km from Baiona which could prove difficult. From memory the Vinotel 7 uevas in Nigran would be wheelchair friendly. It is 200m from the Camino. I would contact the (very helpful) Tourist Office in Baiona for advice - and other tourist offices along the route for advice. Everyone on the route was friendly and helpful and fellow pilgrims are sure to help push the wheelchair up hills.

Welcome to the forum, and I wish you and your friend bom caminho. I have no advice to offer, I am sorry, as I have no experience of the route you hope to take. Someone will surely comment who has the experience.
Thank you very much. ;)

A part of the trail after Arcade is going uphill on large boulders which would be very difficult to maneuver with a wheelchair. I personally didn't encounter anyone on a wheelchair during my Camino but I did encounter a man pulling/pushing a cart with camping equipment. Pilgrims were very helpful lending him a hand.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I would stick to the Coastal. It will be flatter. Where are you starting?

My advice comes not from walking the coastal route but from being part of a team pushing/pulling a young man in a special trekking chair on the Camino Frances. Whatever the route you take, you will need a team and/or a committed Camino family. This is certainly a rewarding and wonderful experience that I will be repeating this summer. However, it will be difficult for one person. If you intend to get help along the way, I would probably go on the central route with more pilgrims and more potential volunteers. Be sure to take ropes to help with pulling uphill and to keep the chair from running away on the downhill. Also be prepared with a contingency plan for any chair repairs and/or injuries from the pusher. THIS IS POSSIBLE AND AWESOME with some planning.

Luis O'Freixo's website http://www.caminador.es/ shows paths that are wheelchair accessible, mainly the Senda Litoral from Porto north. The website is only in Spanish and I find it a bit hard to navigate, but eventually you can find .pdf's of the whole route in great detail. I've attached a screenshot of the first day out of Porto...Senda Day 1 from Porto.jpg

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The group who made the film I'll Push You are organizing a group wheelchair Camino.

Thanks for this link. My niece is in a wheelchair and loves to travel. I will send the info to her. This year is already committed, but if they offer this again I will strongly encourage her to go. Who knows, maybe I could accompany her.

Perhaps consider checking out the available Camino biking maps and apps?
There are a few very tough to walk sections that the bikers already found a route for that may be a solution for you?

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back