• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino or AT?

biloute

Time of past OR future Camino
Chemin du Puy & Camino Francés (summer 2014), Chemin du Puy & Camino Francés (possible summer 2019)
I've walked the Camino before, starting in Le Puy. I've recently gotten married and we'd like to do a long distance hike/walk. We don't have much money and we'd like to do both the Camino and the Appalachian Trail at some point. Which would be the more "practical" choice, taking into consideration budget and time?

I would want to take 3-4 months for the Camino starting from Le Puy because we're not in the greatest shape, and I know it would take at least that long to through-walk the entire distance to Santiago from Le Puy based on my previous walk. It's a shorter time period than the AT, which takes about 6-7 months on average from what I've heard and read. But I don't know which would actually be more expensive because of the food and lodging the Camino requires, along with the plane tickets.

Has anyone here done both? Which would be your recommendation to start with?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A friend of mine has done CF twice ('15 & '16) and thru hiked AT ('14). I am confident he would be willing to assist you. PM me your direct email if you would like for me to pass along your info to him.

These are two different kinds of walks. Getting away from the practicalities for a second, what are you looking for in the walks? What are your nationalities and where do you live? (I'm thinking of the practicalities of visas here.) How about your ages and backpacking experience?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Remember that, if you are a North American, you don't have 4 months to walk from Le Puy. You can only be in the Schengen visa area (ie, western Europe not including the UK) for 90 days out of every 180 on a standard no-visa-required tourist visa.

We're American. And yes, these are two very different walks. I had thought originally that we should do the Camino first because it would be easier physically. But that might be a reason to do it later, I suppose. My husband is 40 now and I'm almost 34. We also don't have kids yet and don't want to wait to start a family. Which might make the Camino the better option because it would be easier to take kids along.

As for visas, you'd have to get one for a specific country, which isn't possible when crossing between them. Would anyone actually pitch a fit if we took longer than three months? They wouldn't even know until we went to leave at the end, and they might not pay attention then. France doesn't even always stamp the passport when you enter the country (been several times).

As for visas, you'd have to get one for a specific country, which isn't possible when crossing between them. Would anyone actually pitch a fit if we took longer than three months? They wouldn't even know until we went to leave at the end, and they might not pay attention then. France doesn't even always stamp the passport when you enter the country (been several times).

We are living in a an electronic age. Your passport might not have been stamped but that does not mean that your arrival has not been recorded. People have overstayed their 90-day visa-free period without being penalised. I do not think that is something which should be recommended on a public forum though.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
In France and Spain you will be in the Schengen zone which (simplified) means that you are in one country as far as your visa goes. As Americans you get to enter the zone without a getting a visa ahead of time and you can stay up to 90 days wherever within the zone.

These are the days of electronic passports and databases. You get scanned in and scanned out. When you leave they can tell if you have over-extended your welcome. You possibly might be fined but are not likely be be arrested. Then you may be refused entry on a return trip to any of the many countries in the Schengen zone if you do not have an explicit visa to do so ahead of time and you may have a difficult time getting that. Oh, yes; on being scanned out you may be detained for a bit and that may lead to your missing your flight home and you may have to purchase a new ticket. I doubt travel insurance will pay for it.

The latest issue of Backpacker magazine (Jan. 2017) is dedicated to long hikes in the U.S. Peg and I are backpackers who have considered doing the full Appalachian Trail but have only done some pieces. We think the hiking out West is actually easier. Maybe consider the Pacific Crest or Continetal Divide trails instead.

Google how+much+does+it+cost+to+hike+the+appalachian+trail

One of the hits from a company selling super-lightweight gear was interesting. It compared the cost of buying super-lightweight gear versus cheaper but heavier gear. Then, making the assumption that you can hike 25 miles a day instead of 15, it estimated food and lodging saved and loss of income while hiking longer, etc. to come up with a total savings of thousands of dollars. https://www.hyperlitemountaingear.com/planning-to-hike-the-appalachian-trail

How experienced are you backpacking? That will help with the practicalities of time to do the walk and food and lodging costs.

Last edited:
The DR is IN: I have hiked both the AT (96' thru-hike) and various Caminos starting in 2008 to present. There in is the story. On the AT there is little support between logical stopping points. Few that start the AT in company with a significant other, friend or group of friends finish together. With the exception of large shelters (twenty-plus hikers)at major trailheads, shelters can be as small as a four-hiker. Most Thru-hikers start in Georgia and finish in Maine on Mt Katahdin. I started on 1 March and finished on August 5th. For much of the time, I hiked alone and slept in shelters, or in my tent. I averaged 13 miles a day and carried an average of 2.5 lbs/1.1 kg of food for each day between trailheads (overall pack weight average: 55 lbs/25 kg). After walking off the trail a mile or two to a "scenic overlook" you tend to realize you've just added an extra mile, or two just to return to the starting point. It's at this point, adding just an extra half mile to the hike seems counterintuitive.
On the CF especially, there are pilgrims aplenty should you desire company, beautiful vistas (even on the Meseta), vino, food, water, vino, meds (including crutches). Did I mention vino?:rolleyes: :rolleyes: My pack weighs: 22 lbs/ 10kg. The Camino is as familiar, or as fresh as one can want and you will return time and time again.
Buen Camino,
Arn

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I looked again at the itinerary I came up with using the Godesalco site, and even with taking it slow at first I have 75 walking days. This does not include rest days, but unless we're just being lazy, Schengen should not be a problem at all.

We want to do both the Camino and the AT. We haven't considered the PCT or CDT because the AT is the iconic one that we've wanted to do. My question is, which would be better to do first? We'd have to save a lot to be able to do either one.

Better? Completely subjective!
Easier? Definitely the Camino Frances. The infrastructure on the camino provides everything you will need. On the AT you must carry your food (and arrange food drops) and shelter, and you will not get a shower everyday.

The AT is a long endurance hike. If you do not have any experience backpacking, I suggest you get (rent/buy/borrow) the necessary gear (backpack, tent, tent poles & stakes, sleeping pads, sleeping bags, stove, cookpot, cup, dehydrated food, water filtration system, water storage bags/bottles, dry bags, hanging food sacks, rain gear, warm outer gear, hiking boots/shoes, hiking poles, toilet trowel, maps & compass (and learn how to use them), guidebook or electronic app, etc.) and go out for several long weekends and 5-7 day training trips to see how you like hiking & camping. It's not for everyone. I've not done a long-distance hike such as the PCT or the AT but I did hike the JMT in 17 days, a 211 miles through the mountainous Sierra Nevadas, and I've been on 4 Caminos. The caminos offer warm, dry beds at night, hot food, historic sites, culture, and civilization. The AT all about walking in the woods.

As far as budget goes, plan on $1000 each for quality, lightweight gear (that's not even ultra-light weight), and past hikers on the PCT averaged about $1000 per month while on trail. I'd probably budget more for the AT as towns are more frequently accessed from the trail. The camino in Spain is probably 25-30e each a day, more in France.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Because you are not in the greatest shape, I would advise the Camino as you don't have to carry tent, camping gear, food and water for many days. The Camino Frances is very easy compared with the American long distance trails where you will not find albergues, gites, and coffee bars every 5 kilometer. AT and CF are in two total different leagues. The AT is about nature and wildlife, the CF is more a social event with a lot of culture, while the landscape plays a minor role, There are other long distance paths in Europe with more mountains and nature experiences like GR10 (Pyrenees) or GR5 (North Sea - Mediterranean) but they lack the infrastructure of cheap albergues which makes walking in Spain possible for so many people.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Asking if you should walk the Camino Frances or the Appalachian Trail is very like asking someone if they prefer Elvis Presley or spaghetti bolognese: they are so far removed from each other in character that the question almost becomes meaningless.

Some of the long-running and involved debates here on the forum on equipment, training and the like may occasionally give the impression that walking the Camino Frances is the equivalent of climbing Everest without oxygen or trekking to the South Pole unsupported. Nonsense. The Camino Frances is perhaps the most straightforward, comfortable and least technically challenging long-distance walking route on the planet. It is long and it can be hot and dry. But with the exception of a very few steep and rocky sections where extra care is needed the walking is entirely straightforward. Unless you walk in winter no technical skill or equipment is needed: no boulders to scramble over, no narrow ledges, no rivers to ford. There is no real risk of harm from wild animals. The walker is never more than a few km from human habitation and rarely more than a few minutes from help in the form of other walkers. Signposting is so clear that it can be walked from end to end without maps or guides. I've often read people posting that "it's not a walk in the park". True - but for those with the budget and the inclination it can be reduced to nothing more challenging than a long series of country strolls. The frequency of accommodation, food supplies and luggage transport services mean that if you so wish you can walk in stages no more than 20km per day while carrying little more than a water bottle. If you reverse almost every one of those statements then you will have a rough approximation of the conditions on the Appalachian Trail. I think you need to be far more clear in your own mind of the type of experience you wish to have, and of your own preparedness for it, before you begin.

Asking if you should walk the Camino Frances or the Appalachian Trail is very like asking someone if they prefer Elvis Presley or spaghetti bolognese: they are so far removed from each other in character that the question almost becomes meaningless.

Some of the long-running and involved debates here on the forum on equipment, training and the like may occasionally give the impression that walking the Camino Frances is the equivalent of climbing Everest without oxygen or trekking to the South Pole unsupported. Nonsense. The Camino Frances is perhaps the most straightforward, comfortable and least technically challenging long-distance walking route on the planet. It is long and it can be hot and dry. But with the exception of a very few steep and rocky sections where extra care is needed the walking is entirely straightforward. Unless you walk in winter no technical skill or equipment is needed: no boulders to scramble over, no narrow ledges, no rivers to ford. There is no real risk of harm from wild animals. The walker is never more than a few km from human habitation and rarely more than a few minutes from help in the form of other walkers. Signposting is so clear that it can be walked from end to end without maps or guides. I've often read people posting that "it's not a walk in the park". True - but for those with the budget and the inclination it can be reduced to nothing more challenging than a long series of country strolls. The frequency of accommodation, food supplies and luggage transport services mean that if you so wish you can walk in stages no more than 20km per day while carrying little more than a water bottle. If you reverse almost every one of those statements then you will have a rough approximation of the conditions on the Appalachian Trail. I think you need to be far more clear in your own mind of the type of experience you wish to have, and of your own preparedness for it, before you begin.

Exactly what I wanted to say.

I think some people did not take the time to read my original post. As I stated before, I have already walked the Camino, starting from Le Puy. That is the route I would take again. I am well aware of the terrain and lack of skill needed, as well as the availability of resources. I am also well aware that the AT is an entirely different experience.

My question was not which one to walk, or what is involved in walking them, but which one to plan to walk FIRST. I plan to do both of them eventually. A lot of this has to do with budget. But, as Kitsambler and Carel5 pointed out above, the reasons for choosing one over the other can vary due to what shape my husband and I are in and how much time we could reasonably expect to be able to do either trail.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My question was not which one to walk, or what is involved in walking them, but which one to plan to walk FIRST. I plan to do both of them eventually. A lot of this has to do with budget. But, as Kitsambler and Carel5 pointed out above, the reasons for choosing one over the other can vary due to what shape my husband and I are in and how much time we could reasonably expect to be able to do either trail.
Well, you have already walked the Camino, first. As you said, the reasons for choosing one over the other for the next time depend on your fitness, available time, and budget - unfortunately, we can't help you assess any of those factors!o_O:)

My question was not which one to walk, or what is involved in walking them, but which one to plan to walk FIRST.
Here is a suggestion. Make the AT your first walk. You will be younger and likely in better shape to complete it. And, not to sound mean-hearted, if you find that the wilderness walk is not what you like you could shift your vacation time to walk the camino in the remaining time you have left in your sabbatical.

Here is a suggestion. Make the AT your first walk. You will be younger and likely in better shape to complete it. And, not to sound mean-hearted, if you find that the wilderness walk is not what you like you could shift your vacation time to walk the camino in the remaining time you have left in your sabbatical.
I like that idea. :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Holy crap!! I am hugely claustrophobic so I hope there is a detour around that when I go LOL!!
Nope. That is Mahoosic Notch just before reaching Maine. Very narrow valley with a mile of rock piles to go over, under and around. I was there in August (years ago) and there was still ice down there. Steep getting down into it and steep getting out and even steeper getting down from Old Spec. I mentioned that Peg and I liked the easy hiking out West. BTW, at the top of Old Spec is where I decided that ponchos were terrible for hiking in the mountains.

Last edited:
Nope. That is Mahoosic Notch just before reaching Maine. Very narrow valley with a mile of rock piles to go over, under and around. I was there in August (years ago) and there was still ice down there. Steep getting down into it and steep getting out and even steeper getting down from Old Spec. I mentioned that Peg and I liked the easy hiking out West. BTW, at the top of Old Spec is where I decided that ponchos were terrible for hiking in the mountains.

Yeah maybe I will stick with the West Coast and Central US - and Caminos (of course!)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
As a Camino-repeater, I have several times had US friends ask me when I intended to do the Appalachian trail. As soon as I realized that there were no plazas where one could sit, the stones about still warm from the day's sun, and sipping on a vermut artisinal while watching the sky turn indigo, I told them that I would leave it for them. As others have pointed out, they are very different activities. If you like what the AT has to offer, then prepare yourself, and go for it.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I've walked the Camino before, starting in Le Puy. I've recently gotten married and we'd like to do a long distance hike/walk. We don't have much money and we'd like to do both the Camino and the Appalachian Trail at some point. Which would be the more "practical" choice, taking into consideration budget and time?

I would want to take 3-4 months for the Camino starting from Le Puy because we're not in the greatest shape, and I know it would take at least that long to through-walk the entire distance to Santiago from Le Puy based on my previous walk. It's a shorter time period than the AT, which takes about 6-7 months on average from what I've heard and read. But I don't know which would actually be more expensive because of the food and lodging the Camino requires, along with the plane tickets.

I have walked two Caminos and thru-hiked the AT. The AT is definitely more difficult and challenges your inner strength and endurance. The Camino is probably less expensive though frankly, no less challenging. I have found you spend what you can afford and according to your desired comforts. Each can be done for reasonably little or if you like to take your time with hotels and restaurants, the cost goes up. You will be isolated in the woods on the AT for days at a time. Not so on the Camino. Both will change your life. They did mine. It's really a matter of choice. Do your homework and you'll enjoy whichever one you choose.

Hello!

I walked the Appalachian Trail in 2014 for four months from Georgia to Connecticut. I did not finish the trail, because I only had one month left in my leave of absence from work. I knew I did not have time to comfortably walk from Connecticut to Maine in a month. For the last month, I flew to Europe and walked the Camino Frances instead.

The Appalachian Trail is considerably more difficult that being on a Camino. The terrain is rough and the constant elevation changes makes walking much slower. On the Camino, you get a big morale boost with nightly hot shower, warm beds and easy access to food.

Once I "got my trail legs" I could comfortably walk 25+ km daily with a full pack on the Appalachian Trail. When I went over to the Camino, I was fine with 40 km days with a small pack, on the easier terrain.

The Appalachian Trail takes more skill to deal with navigation, bad weather and wild animals.

Money goes much further on the Appalachian Trail if you willing to share town accommodations with other hikers. My some of my AT trail friends on a tight budgets spend only $100 us dollars a week on their food and occasional town stops. The southern half of the trail is less expensive, and has lots of "trail magic". Trail angels volunteer their time and resources to assist the long-distance hiking community. A fantastic day on trail is when you get to a road crossing and get surprised by a free hiker barbecue with cold drinks! The generosity of the trail angels was amazing and some even opened their homes for me to stay overnight.

Both experiences were phenomenal, but being on the AT felt more rewarding because it was more challenging.

Try to do both in you lifetime!

Hi and great question! I have done both. I did the AT in 2000 and the CdS last summer (2016). By FAR the Camino is easier! Since one of your concerns is cost, I will it cost me a bit more to do the AT (even with inflation) for a few reasons. The AT will take you longer, probably 6X longer. You will need to stay in town (at least the vast majority of people do) about once/week, sometimes more if you have bad weather. And, then you pay US prices. On the Camino you are paying between 5 and 11 euros/night, depending on the type of accommodation. You will undoubtedly replace gear along the way and will buy new and lighter equipment. (Everyone I know does!)

Another issue is the type of walking. The AT is constant up and down. Depending on your fitness level, it could hurt. On the other hand, the C is a lot of walking on hard surfaces and your feet will hurt.

The C has daily opportunities for breaks. You eat in small hole-in-the-wall places, nice restaurants, bars and/or you can cook in many albergues and hostels. On the AT you cook out. If you need a rest day or a short day, it is available every day on the C. You can always rest on the AT but you may need to walk a half day to get somewhere.

You carry a lot more weight on the AT. I am into lightweight backpacking and have bought good and lightweight equipment. Even being pretty radical about it, my core pack weight is 20 lb, then I add 2 lb/day for food and carry water. Heading out of town I am at 30 lb + or -. On the CdS you do not carry tent, full sleeping bad (depending on the time of year), pad, cooking gear, as much emergency stuff, water filter, etc. So, my pack for the C was about 15 lb. That could be a consideration if you are concerned about conditioning.

On the AT you sleep in a lean-to shelter or in your tent or (in my case) under a tarp every night, with about a night per week in a motel. On the C you sleep in a bed every night. Snoring can be an issue in both. At least on the AT you can more your tent away from others if needed. :)

I hiked the AT in 2000 the summer I turned 48 and the CdS in 2016 and began the day after I turned 64. I am in pretty good shape, a marathon runner, etc. I did not feel like I was pushing on either hike but I do like to keep moving. The AT took me 5 months and 3 weeks and the CdS took me 26 days. I just say that for comparison and as a point of reference.

Both were spiritually rich for me, both were extremely satisfying. I remain interested in doing both again and maybe throwing in the PCT as a retirement bonus.

You will not regret either! I wish you the best.

Loren

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Two wonderful and very different trips. I would rate both of them mediocre from a quality of walking standpoint though.

Sort of like asking should I go skiing in Colorado or tour art museums in Paris? Figure out what you want out of the trip and you'll find the answer.

Since you'd have to carry your kitchen and bedroom on your back on the AT and you say you're not in that great a shape, perhaps the Camino, where you don't have to carry tent, sleeping bag, a week's worth of food, and cooking equipment, would be more reasonable? I'd love to hike the AT or CT, but back's not up to it. It was a thrill to be able to do a long hike with a load I was capable of carrying.

Traveling to other countries without correct documentation, especially with a casual attitude, is a bad idea!
I agree. I also think we should have RESPECT for other countries...which include not just their customs, but their LAWS as well! Those laws are put into place for the benefit and even protection of the the citizens and residents of those countries.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

I have walked the Camino from Holland (which took me 109 days) but have not done the Appalachian Trail. However I did meet Paul Stutzman on the Camino Frances and he has done both and written the book "Hiking Through". There is one big difference between the 2 in that everything you need is available on the Camino whereas you need a much bigger pack and supply drops along AT. Thus from reading Paul's book I would expect the AT to be considerably more expensive than the Camino which should cost you less than 50Euros per day - everything included. Buen Camino

We're American. And yes, these are two very different walks. I had thought originally that we should do the Camino first because it would be easier physically. But that might be a reason to do it later, I suppose. My husband is 40 now and I'm almost 34. We also don't have kids yet and don't want to wait to start a family. Which might make the Camino the better option because it would be easier to take kids along.

I don't think it would be "easy to take kids along" on the Camino. Do it before the kids, is my input here.

Hello everyone.
I walked the Appalachians Trail. From Amicalola Falls GA to Harpers Ferry WV.
It does not have any resemblance to the Caminp.
AT. Are mountains. - Weather (cold, heat, humidity, snow, etc.) Go up, go dawn.
You will be several days sleeping in a shelter or in your tent, eating the food that you take, not showers, many days I wet without being able to put on dry clothes. And above all a lot of weight. You can spend a week without seeing a small town where you can have a shower, do laundry. Eat something well cooked and rest in a bed. Ah! And if you are lucky drink a beer. LOL.
But do not hesitate, it will be your most wonderful adventure.
I look forward to returning to the States to finish it.

Have a good Trail.
Buen Camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I will ask this very quietly, and with the utmost respect. Why is no-one here mentioning the 'P' word. The Camino is a pilgrimage route very definitely not an adventure trail, the difference being much like Bradypus' analogy of trying to choose between Elvis Presley and spaghetti bolognese. Buen camino!

Most read last week in this forum

For those who will walk something different , https://www.jejuolle.org/trail_en#/...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back