• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Part Deux

ItAintARace

Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Octubre 2022
Decided that I was tired of rolling my ankles on the rocky and rooty trails of New England and had an epiphany...which amounted to "what the hell am I doing?". What I did was book a flight and what I will be doing is embracing the Portuguese Camino from Lisbon to Santiago starting September 5, 2019. My second Camino after an incredible Camino Frances shared with my daughter less than a year ago. Heart is full and I'm roarin' to go...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
A truly beautiful route and very different from the CF. For me, the cobblestones were trip ending. I never could find the protective combination of LT Tape, ankle braces, insoles, pole use to protect my Achilles--both were injured after 9 days Lisbon-Porto then 4 days from Porto.
I hope to do it again--but will do serious resistance training beforehand.

A truly beautiful route and very different from the CF. For me, the cobblestones were trip ending.

I was sorry to learn of your experience and I'm surprised to hear the cobblestones have the potential to test us so much. I've been alternating shoes to feel the best fit and after wearing the boots today and reading the above posts, think I've made my decision.

So wow, that was something. Portugal offered 90 plus degree heat, fires in the hills, feet eating hard pavement, and some very, very nice people. The Lisbon to Porto stretch was as everyone has described and 7 out of 10, and 10 was about the number of hikers I met between the two cities, suffered tremendous foot ailments due mostly to incredible heat, distances walked, and self imposed equipment failure. Never knew feet could swell like that. Learned quite a bit to say the least. Met wonderful pilgrims along the way. Wouldn't change a thing for the world. But ouch.

Numbers of pilgrims starting in Porto and Tui were quite surprising. Advent of "tourist pilgrims" provided opportunities to remain calm and try not to judge. Numbers of pilgrims arriving in Santiago in October was surprising as well.

Took the Central Way until the opportunity to take the Spiritual Variant presented itself. Enjoyed that very much as well as the morning boat ride. So, consider it, you'll be happy with your decision.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Wow, well done. I hope your feet are happily healing, after all that! Self-imposed equipment failure? Is it just embarrasing, or something we can all learn from?

Nothing embarrassing and seemed to be the norm. I wouldn't and haven't hiked in 90 heat in the US for long distances. Not something that ever occurred to me to be an enjoyable time. This Camino, there was no choice but to plug ahead no matter the heat or distances. As such, my footwear choice became an additional hurdle. I've hiked in the same shoes and size for years, but never in such heat. So the footwear became too small when my feet began to swell and it would continue throughout the day. Blisters and black and blue toenails are the result. The initial remedy was to trade in and out of my Chacos. Those sandals certainly helped out. Hope this helps.

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back