Search 57,387 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store
When you walk the Camino, and suddenly a pandemic appears

Camino passport question

LindaH82

Past OR future Camino
None
Hiya!

Just one week to go, then I'm getting on a plane to Porto, and a few days later I'll be starting my Camino from Vigo! Aaaaah! Excited and scared in equal measure. I'm getting all my ducks in a row, I've got most of what I need already, with most importantly: the credential! But... I'm not sure how to fill it in! My Spanish is lousy! Help!

I got the Holy Year credential from Ivar (thanks!) which is almost entirely in Spanish. The personal details seem fairly straightforward, but how does the place for the stamps work? There're little 'boxes' for the stamps, which I understand, but there's a larger box at the top of the page. What goes in there? I actually got it stamped at the basilica in the city I live, because I figured, well, it's the place I live. But it's not the place I'm starting from, nor where I got the credential. Did I mess up? What is actually supposed to go there? Do I write anything next to it? So many questions!

Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.
Rent a house in Santiago (1 month minimum)
300m from the cathedral and around the corner from the fresh food market in Santiago. Perfect place to tele commute from (1GB symmetrical connection).
Learn Spanish for the Camino
Enhance your Camino experience by learning about the Spanish language and culture.
When you walk the Camino, and suddenly a pandemic appears
Past OR future Camino
Frances (2016), Norte (2017), Portuges (2018), Mozarabe (2019), Primitivo (2019), Via de La Plata (2
Hiya!

Just one week to go, then I'm getting on a plane to Porto, and a few days later I'll be starting my Camino from Vigo! Aaaaah! Excited and scared in equal measure. I'm getting all my ducks in a row, I've got most of what I need already, with most importantly: the credential! But... I'm not sure how to fill it in! My Spanish is lousy! Help!

I got the Holy Year credential from Ivar (thanks!) which is almost entirely in Spanish. The personal details seem fairly straightforward, but how does the place for the stamps work? There're little 'boxes' for the stamps, which I understand, but there's a larger box at the top of the page. What goes in there? I actually got it stamped at the basilica in the city I live, because I figured, well, it's the place I live. But it's not the place I'm starting from, nor where I got the credential. Did I mess up? What is actually supposed to go there? Do I write anything next to it? So many questions!
The big box that you are referring to is usually filled in by the religious office which has issued the credencial. Ivar does not fill it in. You can perfectly safely leave it blank. Your fear of Spanish is a little concerning. It is worthwhile getting some phrases and vocabulary off pat as even on the Camino you are going to meet a lot of locals with absolutely no grasp of English at all. Obviously you are going to have a lot of peregrinos to ask for help but nonetheless...... I would particularly suggest that you familiarise yourself with a dozen or so food related words. Buen Camino.

LindaH82

Past OR future Camino
None
Oh, I know the basics of Spanish, introducing myself, asking for directions, food related words, etc. But I didn't feel comfortable enough guessing at the possible meaning (and Google Translate can be unreliable) and potentially messing up the credential, so I figured I'd ask here!

Learn Spanish for the Camino
Enhance your Camino experience by learning about the Spanish language and culture.
how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.

Airfix

Past OR future Camino
Currently on the Portuguese Camino, most churches (so far) have either had their doors closed or if open no stamp for credential.
Assume it is Covid related, last Camino almost every church had a stamp.

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 101 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads