• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Passport Rules

Julia Mumford

Adventure Geek
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2016, 2017, 2018, 2019)
Camino Ingles (2018)
I have a quick question about the Camino Passport.

In 2016, I walked from St Jean to Carrion with my best friend and my 14-year-old daughter. We had our passports stamped along the way. We are looking to walk from Carrion to Santiago in June 2018 - and collect our Compostela.

I feel the Camino calling me, so I am looking at walking the first week again on my own this October. Unfortunately, my daughter has exams and my best mate is unable to walk with me due to commitments, but we will all walk together next year to finish the route. (I don't want to do that last bit on my own and I promised them we would do it together).

Question: Do I buy another passport and start again, or do I collect stamps in my current passport, even though I will probably going to the same places?.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have a quick question about the Camino Passport.

In 2016, I walked from St Jean to Carrion with my best friend and my 14-year-old daughter. We had our passports stamped along the way. We are looking to walk from Carrion to Santiago in June 2018 - and collect our Compostela.

I feel the Camino calling me, so I am looking at walking the first week again on my own this October. Unfortunately, my daughter has exams and my best mate is unable to walk with me due to commitments, but we will all walk together next year to finish the route. (I don't want to do that last bit on my own and I promised them we would do it together).

Question: Do I buy another passport and start again, or do I collect stamps in my current passport, even though I will probably going to the same places?.
Hi Julia - I took a part complete passport from 2005 to complete my Camino in 2016 - so it was 11 years old but I continued where I left off. No probblems at all. I even stuck photocopied sections to it for extra space for the stamps - which, as it turned ou, I did need. Buen Camino :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Definitely use the same one for continuing on from where you stopped last time. But if I understand your question you are looking at an additional short walk by yourself which will cover parts you have already walked? If so, for that trip I'd get a new credencial and just use it for that walk. Then when you restart from Carrion with your daughter and friend, use your original one and continue to fill it up from there. Hope that makes sense and I haven't misunderstood your plans. Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yep, carry on with the same credencial -- it's the same pilgrimage, just temporarily interrupted.
But the OP is talking about re-walking a section for which she has already used that credencial. She would continue on with the same credencial when continuing the Camino next year from where she left off, but not I think for this interim trip when she wants to re-walk the first week of her earlier Camino?

If you want to get a Compostela, the only thing the pilgrims office really cares about is that you have 2 stamps/day on the last 100km (on foot pilgrims) and that you do the pilgrimage for religious/spiritual reasons. Buen Camino and yes, use your existing Credencial, SY

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
but not I think for this interim trip when she wants to re-walk the first week of her earlier Camino?

I'm the "purist", and that makes no sense to me -- there's no law stating that you cannot walk the same section twice in the same pilgrimage !!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I'm the "purist", and that makes no sense to me -- there's no law stating that you cannot walk the same section twice in the same pilgrimage !!
Of course not, but the question was about using (and collecting stamps in) the same or a different credencial. Most seem to have taken the OP's question as the usual one about using the same credencial when continuing on with an interrupted pilgrimage from the place it stopped, whereas the question was about whether to use the same one when going back to do a few days already walked earlier, while there is also a plan to continue from where they stopped last time next year. Sounds potentially confusing to use the same credencial for all of it, especially as later stamps will show a gap from wherever she gets to on this short repeat section and where she later "restarts" in Carrion, even though earlier stamps will have covered that section (unless of course she doesn't get the credencial stamped on the repeat section). Obviously no law against it, possibly just bit of head-scratching in the Pilgrim's Office if she eventually asks for a Distance Certificate.

Sounds potentially confusing to use the same credencial for all of it

Confusing to whom ?

Confusing how ?

If a pilgrim were to be taken ill and need to return back to the nearest city for treatment and hospital, and then after getting better were to proceed again from that city, do you really think he'd need a new credencial for the repeat section ? Or what, do you think he'd be somehow required to be transported back to the exact same spot where he was taken ill, or something ?

Sorry, but you're making a fuss out of nothing. Either that, or you're trying to make a rule out of thin air for credenciales.

It's not a card-punching exercise.

And really, all you might achieve is to confuse the OP, whereas in fact and in practicality no new credencial is needed in such a situation.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Confusing to whom ?

Confusing how ?

If a pilgrim were to be taken ill and need to return back to the nearest city for treatment and hospital, and then after getting better were to proceed again from that city, do you really think he'd need a new credencial for the repeat section ? Or what, do you think he'd be somehow required to be transported back to the exact same spot where he was taken ill, or something ?

Sorry, but you're making a fuss out of nothing. Either that, or you're trying to make a rule out of thin air for credenciales.

It's not a card-punching exercise.

And really, all you might achieve is to confuse the OP, whereas in fact and in practicality no new credencial is needed in such a situation.

Err... What fuss? The OP asked a question. I gave an answer to that specific part of her question to the best of my (clearly inadequate) knowledge. Not the only answer (obviously!), just my answer. With which you disagree, as is your right. No fuss here. Really. And most certainly not wanting to get into an argument. The good thing about this forum is that we can all have opinions and try to answer questions. Isn't that great! :) Taking deep breath and moving on...:)

Of course not, but the question was about using (and collecting stamps in) the same or a different credencial. Most seem to have taken the OP's question as the usual one about using the same credencial when continuing on with an interrupted pilgrimage from the place it stopped, whereas the question was about whether to use the same one when going back to do a few days already walked earlier, while there is also a plan to continue from where they stopped last time next year. Sounds potentially confusing to use the same credencial for all of it, especially as later stamps will show a gap from wherever she gets to on this short repeat section and where she later "restarts" in Carrion, even though earlier stamps will have covered that section (unless of course she doesn't get the credencial stamped on the repeat section). Obviously no law against it, possibly just bit of head-scratching in the Pilgrim's Office if she eventually asks for a Distance Certificate.
This will be no problem the only thing they will need is atleast 2 stamps a day from Sarria till Santiago.

Wish you well,Peter.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back