• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Passport

Jerri Kerley

Time of past OR future Camino
09/2017-11/2017
This is addressed to those who have gone before:

Is it better to order my passport prior to leaving for the Camino, or is it part of the "Camino Experience" to get it when I arrive in SJPP?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It is up to you...but if you have time enough in SJPP, waiting in the line of the Pilgrim's bureau with many anxious and enthusiasts "pilgrims-to-be" from around the world, being welcomed by the volunteers, and receiving your credential and first sello, is priceless.
And, besides, they give you some leaflets with maps and list of albergues, and, if needed, advice about weather (not a problem in summer, but a serious issue in other seasons).
Buen camino!

It is up to you...but if you have time enough in SJPP, waiting in the line of the Pilgrim's bureau with many anxious and enthusiasts "pilgrims-to-be" from around the world, being welcomed by the volunteers, and receiving your credential and first sello, is priceless.
And, besides, they give you some leaflets with maps and list of albergues, and, if needed, advice about weather (not a problem in summer, but a serious issue in other seasons).
Buen camino!
Regardless of whether or not you already have your credential, you'll have to go to the Pilgrim's office in St Jean to get your first stamp,along with the maps, list of albergues, etc.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There is nothing particularly ceremonial about the acquisition of the credential. If you have it in advance, you will hand it to the person in the Office to get your stamp along with other pieces of paper and advice. The one you can order from Ivar is in Spanish. I think the one you would get in SJPP will be in French. The one I could order from my national organization has a different style, colour, etc.

Regardless of whether or not you already have your credential, you'll have to go to the Pilgrim's office in St Jean to get your first stamp,along with the maps, list of albergues, etc.
Not so. Noone HAS to go to the SJPP volunteer office. You can get your first stamp at home, or in Roncesvalles, or anywhere else on the Camino. And while I walked my first Camino making full use of the elevation map and the list of albergues they give you these are nuce to have tools but nkt must haves. So in case you arrive in SJPP when the PO is closed, or there's a huge line, don't worry, it is not some sort of check in point you must visit, sign in or register.

I wiuld suggest you buy your credencial here, from the Forum's shop, or your local Camino Association, and head out to SJPP knowing you are ready to go.

And supporting your local Polgrim Association by buying its credencial is a nicw thing to do, and having a different credencial is always a good tool to start a conversation.

Not so. Noone HAS to go to the SJPP volunteer office. You can get your first stamp at home, or in Roncesvalles, or anywhere else on the Camino. And while I walked my first Camino making full use of the elevation map and the list of albergues they give you these are nuce to have tools but nkt must haves. So in case you arrive in SJPP when the PO is closed, or there's a huge line, don't worry, it is not some sort of check in point you must visit, sign in or register.

I wiuld suggest you buy your credencial here, from the Forum's shop, or your local Camino Association, and head out to SJPP knowing you are ready to go.

And supporting your local Polgrim Association by buying its credencial is a nicw thing to do, and having a different credencial is always a good tool to start a conversation.
You are absolutely correct. I shouldn't have said that you have to go to the Pilgrim's Office.
I should have said that if you want a stamp from the Pilgrim's Office in St Jean to commemorate the beginning of your Camino you don't have to get your credential there, you can bring one with you.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I've always gotten my credential (pilgrim's passport) at the pilgrim's office in SJPdP and gotten my first stamp there. I've never had to wait in line to get it. Never really saw it all that busy there. It's a nice credential to have. Made of thick card stock type paper. Also the gracious volunteers there give you an elevation chart of the CF, a map of the Napoleon and ValCarlos routes as well as a current list of albergues along the entire Camino Frances with information and contact phone numbers for them. They also have the current weather conditions on the Pyrenees for the first day and will advise you of any route closures. To me, getting my credential there is part of the Camino experience, but that's just me.

You can also get a credential at the tourists office there at SJPdP. I did in 2014 and filled it up as well as the one I got at the pilgrim's office. It was the same credential you can order from this forum and they stamp it.
and as said already, you can order credentials here on this forum...

You can also get a set of credentials from a Confraternity/Association such as American Pilgrims on the Camino.

Lots of choices, huh? ha ha

Last edited by a moderator:
Most countries have a Camino society. I ordered one from the Irish society before I left and it was nice to have a little bit of home with you!

Most countries have a Camino society. I ordered one from the Irish society before I left and it was nice to have a little bit of home with you!

Some of the national associations will only issue to credencials to paid-up members. Here in the UK the CSJ states "If you chose not to become a member of the Confraternity please do not apply to us." They do then go on to give helpful information on other ways and places to acquire one.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Is it better to order my passport prior to leaving for the Camino, or is it part of the "Camino Experience" to get it when I arrive in SJPP?
You can get one free from the American Pilgrims on the Camino without joining. The cover is different from the one you will get in SJPdP, which is different (usually) from the one you get from the Pilgrim Office in Santiago. Buen camino.

Whether you obtain your Credential/Pilgrim Passport before leaving home or plan to get it in
SJPdP do stop there at the Pilgrim Office which is located on the camino at 39 rue de La Citadelle.

The office is open every day and in season from early in the morning until late at night ie after the arrival of the last bus/train. The helpful multi-lingual volunteers can provide you with a Credential and stamp if needed, as well as a list of major albergues and current weather/ trail conditions. They can also help locate your bed/bunk for the night. Most importantly the office is a great spot to meet/ greet other pilgrims.
...Do plan to stop and chat!

Last edited:
On my first Camino Frances there was no pilgrim office. Instead I tried to get a credencial from the legendary Mme Debril, the local contact for the Amis de Saint-Jacques, at her home in the Rue de la Citadelle. In my ignorance I made two bad mistakes. The first was to disturb her at lunchtime - a cardinal sin in France. The second was to mention a very tenuous connection with a man called Kosti Simons - another camino luminary at the time but a name she clearly regarded with distaste. In very short order I was told to go away and ask in Roncesvalles :) I'm very glad to say that in my subsequent visits to St Jean the welcome has been much warmer. Do call in to the pilgrim office. A friendly and helpful place.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You can get one free from the American Pilgrims on the Camino without joining. The cover is different from the one you will get in SJPdP, which is different (usually) from the one you get from the Pilgrim Office in Santiago. Buen camino.

Just a small clarification or quibble here: One can indeed *request* a credential from American Pilgrims for a *donation*. They are not *free*. Just like a donativo albergue is not free. Peregrinos might as well get into that mindset before leaving. Also might as well get used to using the word "request". americanpilgrims.org and click on "Credential Request" near the top center.

Only once did I not get one ahead of time and then I couldn't find one until the second day. That was on the Inglés route. I like getting it ahead of time as it is one less thing for me to worry about. (Yes I am a worrier.)

On my first Camino Frances there was no pilgrim office. Instead I tried to get a credencial from the legendary Mme Debril, the local contact for the Amis de Saint-Jacques, at her home in the Rue de la Citadelle. In my ignorance I made two bad mistakes. The first was to disturb her at lunchtime - a cardinal sin in France. The second was to mention a very tenuous connection with a man called Kosti Simons - another camino luminary at the time but a name she clearly regarded with distaste. In very short order I was told to go away and ask in Roncesvalles :) I'm very glad to say that in my subsequent visits to St Jean the welcome has been much warmer. Do call in to the pilgrim office. A friendly and helpful place.

Your story is priceless! Thank you for sharing:)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Just a small clarification or quibble here: One can indeed *request* a credential from American Pilgrims for a *donation*. They are not *free*. Just like a donativo albergue is not free. Peregrinos might as well get into that mindset before leaving. Also might as well get used to using the word "request". americanpilgrims.org and click on "Credential Request" near the top center.
I got mine from the American Pilgrim office and it was free. I just received it today.

I was so excited last year about the Camino that I ordered my Credential from Ivar. This year, I'm bringing a friend, and wanted to present one to her as we do our planning. :)

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back