• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Phrases and Titles

rector

ONE HALF
Time of past OR future Camino
SJ-Sdc MAY (2011)
SJ-Sdc MAY (2014)
Sar-Sdc Oct (2015)
Pon-Sdc Ju (2016)
SJ-Log (2018)
It may be my age, it may be the damage that I have absorbed during my time on this earth, but I sometimes get annoyed! Some of the random titles applied and phrases used about the Camino really annoy me. I here include a few for your honest appraisal.

My Camino Family!!!!!!!
The Camino will provide!!!!!
Camino Angels!!!!!!

I will await with baited breath your honest and sincere reply

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@rector, Pilgrims who say the three things you have listed I believe are being sincere and not trite. What better place to express such phrases than while walking these amazing pilgrimages. They most likely have...
1. Had a "camino family" they walked with and gotten to know, thus enriching their personal experience
2. Had the "camino provide" for them in a small way, possibly as small as some chocolate given to them when they'd run out of food
3. Have had some person come to their aid in a helpful and sincere fashion, thus becoming a "camino angel" to them. (There is a "David" on this forum who is literally a walking first aid kit to anyone who needs assistance. I would call him a camino angel.)

My honest appraisal is that I personally am not annoyed by these phrases.

@rector, Pilgrims who say the three things you have listed I believe are being sincere and not trite. What better place to express such phrases than while walking these amazing pilgrimages. They most likely have...
1. Had a "camino family" they walked with and gotten to know, thus enriching their personal experience
2. Had the "camino provide" for them in a small way, possibly as small as some chocolate given to them when they'd run out of food
3. Have had some person come to their aid in a helpful and sincere fashion, thus becoming a "camino angel" to them. (There is a "David" on this forum who is literally a walking first aid kit to anyone who needs assistance. I would call him a camino angel.)

Well said Chris

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery
"Buen Camino". Although well intentioned, I quickly grew fatigued with constantly hearing it. I guess it is because it is almost thrown out willy-nilly as if it is the required faddish kit of being on pilgrimage; sort of like the notion that one must have trekking poles -- regardless of knowing how they are used -- because THAT is what a REAL pilgrim has and says.

After the billionth time hearing it, I would smile pleasantly and wish the greeter a "good walk" or "good journey" or "Ultreya".

I have to admit that I'm with Camino Chris and none of those phrases irk me - and I quite like a "Buen Camino" thrown my way, which is why I like to offer it (although my preference is really Ultreia).

If I had to pick a phrase that bothers me it would be "a real pilgrim", as in "you're not a real pilgrim unless...".

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Ah, @rector, one of my pet secular peeves! Writers who cannot tell the difference between holding their breath in anticipation and filling their mouths with what might be attractive baubles in a vain attempt to attract an audience. I see you defer to the latter.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Ah, @rector, one of my pet secular peeves! Writers who cannot tell the difference between holding their breath in anticipation and filling their mouths with what might be attractive baubles in a vain attempt to attract an audience. I see you defer to the latter.
Are you by any chance a fan of Which Tyler, the leader of the Pedants' Revolt?

@Glenshiro "OK, I give in - just how can you (mis)pronounce Pamplona?"

An "a" in Spanish (Castellano) is pronounced like a crisp "ah". In Texan, pronounce the a like in the name Pam, but drag it out nice and slow like a cowboy.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
On the forum, we can’t see each other. We can’t hear each other. We have different educational backgrounds. We have many first languages. Last year ! I made a big mistake and corrected someone, although meant without harshness, where I assumed the poster was a native English speaker. I re-learned something that day that I already knew, I was not being sensitive to the poster. I am posting this in the hope it will be taken as it is meant: just a reminder to native English speakers that there is no entrance exam in English spelling on the camino, or on the Forum!
5AF83E92-E13D-4CA8-AD8C-131EBFAE2BEA.jpeg

On the forum, we can’t see each other. We can’t hear each other. We have different educational backgrounds. We have many first languages. Last year ! I made a big mistake and corrected someone, although meant without harshness, where I assumed the poster was a native English speaker. I re-learned something that day that I already knew, I was not being sensitive to the poster. I am posting this in the hope it will be taken as it is meant: just a reminder to native English speakers that there is no entrance exam in English spelling on the camino, or on the Forum!
View attachment 50317
You are absolutely right! My perspective comes from being a teacher and encouraging students to get it right, and also from being a student of languages and sometimes struggling followed by a feeling of success. In my original comment I should have used the word amuse rather than annoy.

Are you by any chance a fan of Which Tyler, the leader of the Pedants' Revolt?

I must have done too much New Year celebrating, I nearly bit on this one.

Personally I love the Buen Caminoing and other terminology that grows up around the camino, it's all part of that culture where familiarity isn't just tolerated, it's encuraged, and having spent a great deal of my life in London where greeting a stranger is received with suspicion I regard it as a very welcome breath of fresh air.

As for the phrases in the OP I'm totally fine with all of them, well actually I must admit depending on context "the camino will provide" can be problematic. For instance when it comes to people with a faux hippie "I can just sponge off everyone else" attitude.

Are there alternative phrases you'd be happier with @rector ?

I should have used the word amuse rather than annoy.
Don't force yourself to feel amused when you feel annoyed - it won't make you happier. :cool:

I'm actually annoyed - ok let's say non-plussed - when someone tries too hard to pronounce a word from a foreign language as pronounced in that foreign language while speaking say English and not as usually pronounced in English. Brand names of cars are a good example. Personal names, too. Geographical names are another one. After all, we don't say Rrrroma [ˈroːma] (listen)), we pronounce it as Rome. I tend to pronounce Pamplona slightly differently, depending on whether I (try to) speak English, Spanish or German, and will say Pampelune in French 🤓.

I'm a non-native speaker of English and make plenty of mistakes. I appreciate being corrected, certainly when it's about something worthwhile and done in an entertaining way (like earlier in this thread for example - I learnt something new about Shakespeare and about a person called Wat Tyler and grinned about a clever pun). I still fondly remember my wayward shrines, @Bradypus 😊.

And don't get me started on Camino Angel.

Last edited:
Don't force yourself to feel amused when you feel annoyed - it won't make you happier. :cool:

I'm actually annoyed - ok let's say non-plussed - when someone tries too hard to pronounce a word from a foreign language as pronounced in that foreign language while speaking say English and not as usually pronounced in English.

Me too but I admit it depends on the context - and I can’t always explain why. For example: staying at an albergue = not annoying. Going to España = annoying.

I'm actually annoyed - ok let's say non-plussed - when someone tries too hard to pronounce a word from a foreign language as pronounced in that foreign language while speaking say English and not as usually pronounced in English. Brand names of cars are a good example. Personal names, too. Geographical names are another one. After all, we don't say Rrrroma [ˈroːma] (listen)), we pronounce it as Rome. I tend to pronounce Pamplona slightly differently, depending on whether I (try to) speak English, Spanish or German, and will say Pampelune in French 🤓.

As the late, great Richard Feynman said;

“You can know the name of that bird in all the languages of the world, but when you're finished, you'll know absolutely nothing whatever about the bird. You'll only know about humans in different places, and what they call the bird. ... I learned very early the difference between knowing the name of something and knowing something.”

If I may paraphrase Dr King, people should be judged by the sincerity behind what they say, not the words themselves. Buen Camino is a phrase that can be used no matter how much/little you know of other languages. Everyone who said it to me said it with a smile and I thank them for that (often just passing) interaction. Do we do the Camino as an island or part of the "family" .......

The camino will provide.

Not always well received.
I used it once here on the forum, as a tongue-in-cheek comment, when I considered that someone was over planning.
As a result I was barred from the thread by a moderator.
My comment was considered offensive. Go figure...

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
It's the inflationary use of these terms - camino family, camino angel and even buen camino - that makes me personally feel averse to them. I hadn't read the books, watched the movies, studied the blogs, consumed the videos when I arrived in SJPP and had therefore never heard of any of these terms and I consider myself lucky. When an Australian who had just arrived in Europe wished us a buen camino shortly after we had passed the gate in SJPP, I turned to my companion in surprise and said: "Are we already in Spain"? And when, a few days later, I overheard someone saying to their neighbour: "She [meaning me] is our camino angel" I was taken aback and thought it was hyperbole. I still think that.

I fully understand that others perceive things differently.

Totally with you here.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
One is entitled to be annoyed or not....to simply go with the flow, or not. Whatever... As others have correctly stated, it is your Camino. The only thing you do NOT have any standing or right to do is to denigrate another's experience or expression. This is a corollary of Camino Rule #1 - Everyone walks their own Camino.

As regards the Camino-centric phrases above, all are actually correct IMHO. You are free to disagree:

'Buen Camino' means "good walk" literally translated. Colloquially it means something akin to "have a nice day" while on Camino...

'The Camino DOES provide!' Most every pilgrim will have had at least one serendipitous incident where something that ought not to have occurred does happen, and in a manner positive to that pilgrim's experience.

A 'Camino Angel' is someone who appears from the background and does a pilgrim a service that goes above and beyond what is accepted as commonplace. It is analogous to a Good Samaritan. But the comparison is apt. So, an angel is someone who treats another pilgrims blisters, carries their load when they are having difficulty. Loans or gives money to a pilgrim who has lost their funds, gives a hat or other item of gear to someone who needs one, etc., and so forth.

The film 'The Way,' is simply a translation of 'El Camino,' "The Way." NO surprise there.

On a separate tangent, mispronunciation of foreign words is just rude, IMHO. Before you travel ANYWHERE, you should take the time to listen to key phrases spoken over the internet.

We invest so much time and effort in planning pour travel and pilgrimage. Not learning a few keys phrases or place names, properly pronounced is, I believe, just culturally insensitive and rude.

Even though I was born, raised and schooled in the US, I still encounter place names even in my native land that are not pronounced like they are spelled. For example:
  • Can YOU correctly pronounce Schuykll, as in Schuykll River, adjacent to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania? Seriously, you can?
  • Do you know the correct, local pronunciation for the City of Amarillo in west Texas?
  • How about Albuquerque, New Mexico? (hint, similar to the correct sound of 'albergue')
I could go on, but y'all get the general idea...

Hope this helps the dialog

Last edited:
It's the inflationary use of these terms - camino family, camino angel and even buen camino - that makes me personally feel averse to them.

I agree. Some phrases and the concepts behind them seem to be becoming almost mandatory and canonical in discussion about the Caminos. As a solitary by preference I have a particular aversion to the phrase "camino family". It very often seems to be linked to a belief that the only true Camino is one which is a social and collective experience. I've sometimes read people stating that the Camino is "all about" meeting other people and sharing the journey with them. In the most extreme example I've seen a couple of years ago I read a post from a young woman about to start from SJPDP who asked if you were allowed to choose your own camino family or if you were assigned to one on departure :rolleyes:

It may be my age, it may be the damage that I have absorbed during my time on this earth, but I sometimes get annoyed! Some of the random titles applied and phrases used about the Camino really annoy me. I here include a few for your honest appraisal.

My Camino Family!!!!!!!
Camino Angels!!!!!!

"alburge" "alberge" "alberque" "aubergue" etc

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have walked the caminos with my own family members or personal friends. I do not prefer being solitary, but neither do I prefer to form a camino family, yet have walked for a few delightful hours here and there with others I've met and keep in touch with several. I fall somewhere in the middle of both extremes.
I am happy for those who express that they love meeting lots of people and form camino families, but also understand those who prefer a solitary walk. I have sometimes wondered if I would be able to be as independent as they are; willing to walk all alone on obscure trails and seeing no one else. I admire that.

I walked with a friend from Korea. She would/could not say "Buen Camino" the entire journey, even after being bombarded with the phrase all day every day, and even after I encouraged her to say it sometimes. Another thought: I prefer to walk without being surrounded by a "Camino family" and do get annoyed when these Camino families take over the path and the kitchen/living spaces. I just want some peace and a bit of space.

There have been forum members, walking alone, who have mentioned that they've felt excluded by 'camino families' encountered on the trail and in albergues. I experienced this myself (feeling excluded) in an albergue kitchen one morning. Fortunately, I was walking with two cousins; I left the albergue with them and I didn't dwell on it. But I have to wonder how the solo (perhaps introverted) peregrino feels when he finds himself among camino families who are not inclusive.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
.....I prefer to walk without being surrounded by a "Camino family" and do get annoyed when these Camino families take over the path and the kitchen/living spaces. I just want some peace and a bit of space.
I agree wholeheartedly about your wanting some peace and a bit of space. How do we balance that with the feeling of being excluded? ☹️ Perhaps the only solution is to get out walking as soon as possible. 😊😊

Ah you have caught me out baited was put in there for a reason, but look at the fun so many people have had. I am just sorry that I had to work last night and missed the fun

I'm a solitary walker, Chris, and, like you, I'm not annoyed at all by the standard Camino expressions. Sometimes they serve to shake me from a reverie that has taken me in a different direction than the one intended. :) I'm known for going off the beaten path, so one of the first things I learned on the Camino was to be able to ask for the Flechas amarillas (yellow arrows)...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I say this with a chuckle, because humans are complicated and we all have days where people irritate us. I wonder if there's a forum for the Spaniards who live along or by the any of the routes. "If I hear another pilgrim asking for café con leche...." or "those damn poles that go tap, tap tap" or "pilgrims that wake us up as they walk down the street at 7:00 talking about some guy in their albergue who woke them up early".

I say this with a chuckle, because humans are complicated and we all have days where people irritate us. I wonder if there's a forum for the Spaniards who live along or by the any of the routes. "If I hear another pilgrim asking for café con leche...." or "those damn poles that go tap, tap tap" or "pilgrims that wake us up as they walk down the street at 7:00 talking about some guy in their albergue who woke them up early".
Now the poles get to me too, but they do come in handy sometimes

"Buen Camino". Although well intentioned, I quickly grew fatigued with constantly hearing it. I guess it is because it is almost thrown out willy-nilly as if it is the required faddish kit of being on pilgrimage; sort of like the notion that one must have trekking poles -- regardless of knowing how they are used -- because THAT is what a REAL pilgrim has and says.

After the billionth time hearing it, I would smile pleasantly and wish the greeter a "good walk" or "good journey" or "Ultreya".

On the less popular caminos, I LOVE hearing the locals say it. On our recent Via Augusta, my son and I calculated that we heard it about once per ten km...

The solution to the "click clack" of unsheathed walking sticks is to buy and hand out inexpensive rubber tips (gomas de bastones). I usually carry a half-dozen spares for this purpose, and to replace the one that is usually always sacrificed to the 'mud god' on each of my Caminos so far...never fails.

In most China Bazars and outdoor stores in Spain, you can usually find them near the cash register, in a bowl and CHEAP, like a euro or so each. Compare that to 2 for maybe USD 10 at REI.

The size is fairly standard, 12 mm inner diameter IIRC. So, anyone can use them. The very few times that the tips have been too large, I recommend a turn or two of Duck tape to fill the gap. Works every time...

WHAT, you don't carry a small roll of Duck tape or Gorilla Tape? Get thee to thy nearest DIY or office supply store! You can find a variant of duck tape in 1 inch or less widths. I was able to get 1/2 inch Duck Brand tape at a office supply store. My DIY stores typically do not have less than 1" widths. It is all good. There is no end to the clever stuff you can do with this tape.

You might do this out of simple consideration for others. If picking up other folks rubbish is considered a good thing, then giving out noise-pollution silencing rubber tips is as good, at least IMHO.

This is a great icebreaker at a rest stop too. If you follow someone who does the 'clicky-clacky' thing, just introduce yourself and give them tips. It is a win-win. You meet someone new. They might buy you a beer. That could balance out your original investment...

Pay it forward pilgrims...

Last edited:
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Why focus on the negative and dislikes? Why not start out the year with a fresh new outlook, perhaps more optimism and positivity in your life? Your listed phrases lift my spirits every time I hear or read them, and personally, I don't find them annoying at all. FYI - it's "bated" breath, not "baited." Thanks.

Why focus on the negative and dislikes?
Who says that we are focussing on it? And where does it appear that we don't have enough optimism and positivity in our lives? A long time ago, I came across a book entitled Smile or Die and while I remember little of what I read I'm really glad that it taught me that all this forced positive thinking and talking isn't as healthy as it is made out to be. 😎

FYI - it's "bated" breath, not "baited."
You didn't read the thread! You missed the best parts.

Just my opinion of course. 😊

Why focus on the negative and dislikes? Why not start out the year with a fresh new outlook, perhaps more optimism and positivity in your life? Your listed phrases lift my spirits every time I hear or read them, and personally, I don't find them annoying at all. FYI - it's "bated" breath, not "baited." Thanks.
Dear Jeff Why focus on the negative Start the new year with a more positive attitude
and accepted that we are all different with different perspectives i.e. Baited as in ideas proceeding from my mouth which may construed to attract those of a lighter disposition who appear in this darkest of seasons to have had too much fun on this little bit of silliness

My Camino Family!!!!!!!
Camino Angels!!!!!!

Oh dear not the best way to start 2019. I hope you are walking sometime this year and try to put all these negative thoughts behind you.

I do hope you are happy with 'Buen Camino'

Oh dear not the best way to start 2019. I hope you are walking sometime this year and try to put all these negative thoughts behind you.

It is never off my lips
Ps I did not start 2019 this way I finished 2018 this way

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

I don't see this so much as having negative thoughts; it seems to be more along the lines of how some folks are sensitive to --- and cringe at --- the sound of nails screeching across a blackboard whereas others do not. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
As I wrote on another thread:

Buen Camino can get pretty annoying when you are traveling at a pace that allows the 10,000 peregrinos who have started after you to greet you as they pass.

I agree!!! Was a nice greeting between passing pilgrims in the first couple of days, but I found myself becoming increasingly selective with its use as the camino progressed, to the point that I found it quite irritating, particularly after Sarria, when is seemed the (well intentioned, I hope) new pilgrims would throw it out at every other pilgrim overtaken, even cow, and possibly every power pole... To make matters worse, most of it seemed to come from the cyclist pilgrims who insisted on trying to use the footpath, despite a multitude of much slower pedestrian pilgrims...

My saving grace? "this too will pass..."

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
There have been forum members, walking alone, who have mentioned that they've felt excluded by 'camino families' encountered on the trail and in albergues. I experienced this myself (feeling excluded) in an albergue kitchen one morning. Fortunately, I was walking with two cousins; I left the albergue with them and I didn't dwell on it. But I have to wonder how the solo (perhaps introverted) peregrino feels when he finds himself among camino families who are not inclusive.
Comfortable!

Camino Francis. It's not a Frank, it's French!
Exactly!
Also:
- PamploMa,
- PrimAtivo,
- FinEsterre/FinisterrA,
- mixing Via de Bayona and Camino Vasco del Interior (although they overlapse from Irun to Estavillo, similar as Levante and Sureste on few more legs),
- turning left in Granja de Moreruela isn't Via de la Plata, it's Camino Sanabres which is branch of the VdlP (VdlP goes straight north to Astorga).

€60,-
I always walk on my own, in the evening I see the same groups of people frequently doing their thing. I think exclusion can be a blessing, I met some many groups that just chat about nothing consistently that I often stop and let then pass, sometimes it’s hard to get peace in the albergues and on the trail..

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
This thread started with a comment about certain phrases. Though Camino Angel and “the Camino will Provide” are less understood and many times misused they have great meaning to those who have experienced them. As for Buen Camino, I personally love to hear it from a Local. It makes me feel as though they do like having us invade their lives and they do wish us safety and success.as for other pilgrims using it, if we didn’t say that we my just walk by our fellow pilgrims and ignore them. That’s what we so often do in real life and that’s a sad statement.
And lastly, when I hear the Camino referred to as The Way. I don’t think about the movie I remember that this whole pilgrimage was started to honor a Man, an apostle, of The Lord Jesus Christ who in the Bible said He was The Way. That give me joy and peace.

My Camino Family!!!!!!!
Camino Angels!!!!!!

hmmmmm, well IMO people do sometimes overemphasise their "Camino Families" to the detriment of the pilgrimage as such, but to each his own, people can and do have their own purposes on the Camino that won't be in line with my own ideas. No probs.

The second is not wrong, but it's VERY frequently both misunderstood and misused -- it refers to those sorts of weird occurrences where things that you absolutely need just appear to come together for or on a Camino of their own volition, as if spontaneously or through some Hand of God. It does NOT refer to completely mundane and ordinary stuff like getting the last bed in the albergue hours after several people told you it was completely full !!

Again, the third is not wrong, but it's also VERY frequently both misunderstood and misused -- it refers to those other strange occurrences when likely the ONLY person who can help you in some sudden and unexpected distress, for miles and miles around, just pops up seemingly out of the blue at the exact right instant and with the exact right equipment or disposition to provide the exact assistance you need. If it's not seriously weird in that manner, then it's not a "Camino Angel" -- it's just a simple, ordinary, helpful person ....

It's your camino

Yeah, this one seriously annoys me --- just for starters, because no it isn't ; It's our Camino.

But mostly because it's become the trite go-to "excuse" for those wanting to "do the Camino", but without necessary patience to pure and simple walk the Camino.

People who call the Camino "the way" after the film. No reason, it is the direct translation I guess, but it just annoys me.

This one's wrong, sorry -- I've alternately used "the Way" since LONG before that film was ever released, alongside such other expressions as "the Camino", "the Way of Saint James", "the Francès", and so on and so forth ... it's NOT just the title of a certain film.

"the El Camino" :rolleyes:
Or in extreme cases "the El Camino trail" :rolleyes::mad:

That one actually amuses me rather than annoys, and I've a lot of forbearance with it, after all not everyone has a knack for foreign languages, and some people can have great difficulties with them through no fault of their own, so one should sympathise and perhaps kindly correct their mistake, with a smile and good will.

If I had to pick a phrase that bothers me it would be "a real pilgrim", as in "you're not a real pilgrim unless...".

Yeah, this is another one of those that's VERY frequently both misunderstood and misused (spoiler alert, there's a FAR larger number of "real pilgrims" than most people realise) -- to be a bit tongue-in-cheek though, could I suggest that you're not a real pilgrim unless you've rid yourself of that sort of judgmentalism ? :cool: (which doesn't prevent jokes about busgrinos and taxigrinos and tourigrinos etc)

Last edited:
Regarding the title of the thread..
The OP knows fully well what he is doing!!!
He’s a teaser of “biblical” proportions and puts enough “contentious” material in his questions to ensure lively and humorous (and intelligent) debate!
I recognise his “modus operandi”....
In my books...he’s a little “scally”! With a tongue firmly in cheek!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
People who call the Camino "the way" after the film. No reason, it is the direct translation I guess, but it just annoys me.
Using the way or the camino in English often reminds me of a term that is missing and has largely disappeared from common parlance in this context: Saint James. Very few people refer to Saint James' Way in English, while German speakers or French speakers use the apostle's name in connection with the ways leading to Santiago more often: Jakobsweg and chemin de Saint Jacques.

And my impression from my albeit limited reading of medieval pilgrimage reports is that they didn't refer to the way or the camino at all, they said that they were going to Saint James in Galicia.

I also find it distinctly odd when posters refer to Jimmy when they mean Saint James.

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back