• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Pinhole Photography Exhibition in Ottawa!

msuze

Hello All,

I just wanted to pass on information about my upcoming exhibition. If you are close to Ottawa, please do come by - you'll be treated to some wonderful photographs of places you'll recognise, places you imagine...

To everyone I photographed, I'm sending your copies by email and regular mail as promised. Thank you for helping me make such a moving and wonderful exhibition - it's the best and most personal work I've ever done. The preview has garnered wonderful feedback so far.

In the spirit,

Melinda

Here's the press release below:

A great art night out in the city!

La Petite Mort Gallery gets a jump-start on Festival X Photography Festival with an exhibition of pinhole photographs “Small is Beautiful” by Melinda Mollineaux on Friday, September 5th 2008.

Following from her successful One Night Stand ”Beauty is Really Good” last October, “Small is Beautiful” sees Mollineaux continue her work with discarded and used cameras to convey a timeless sense of place. Recently returned from an 800 km walk on the Camino de Santiago in Spain, this exhibition features her trademark poetic and abstract landscapes taken along the journey of refugio gardens, monastery courtyards, and ancient doors with hints of pilgrims and locals walking in front of them. The main series in the show however is a grouping of moody black and white photographs of feet.

“I photographed the soles of pilgrims' feet in the Plaza de Obradoiro as we arrived in Santiago, the final destination of the pilgrimage. These photos were very special to take; they were like prayers as I knelt in front of each person, with a kind of joy, waiting as the light reflected off their feet into my camera. I spent those few seconds in awe of the fullness of a life's journey in each person - beautiful, tired and radiant - in front of me. If only we could daily approach everyone we meet like that”

Deeply personal portraits, the photos are a meditation on the fragility and strength of the human body, our connection to the earth, and a testament to our ability to commit to long and uncertain journeys.

Quietly among the Camino photographs you will also find a small grouping of tropical graveyard images. This is the family plot in Trinidad where Mollineaux’s grandmother was recently buried. “I felt the presence of both my mother and grandmother along the Camino,” she says, “so it seemed right to include these images in the show. I want this work to embrace mortality as fundamental to an earthy and sensual celebration of nature and human experience.”

Melinda Mollineaux is a visual artist who has been involved with various arts organisations and communities on Canada’s West Coast. She has exhibited her work in group and solo shows across Canada including exhibitions at Artspeak Gallery; Presentation House Gallery, the Vancouver Art Gallery and most recently at Gallery La Petite Mort. Her artist pages have appeared in Diaspora, FUSE, West Coast Line, Front Magazine, and MIX Magazine.

More stories and images of Mollineaux’s Camino can be found on her blog at http://www.beautyisreallygood.blogspot.com

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back