A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Camino places to visit in Paris?

Anamya

Keeping it simple
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2015)
Portugues (2017)
Lebaniego (2019)
Hi everyone. I may have the chance to be in Paris for a few days later this year and would love to visit some Camino-ey places. Unfortunately no time for walking any route. Would you have any suggestions? It will be my first time in the city :)

Camino(s) past & future
Camino de Santiago, St Jean to Santuago, 2015
Camino Portuguese, 2018
Hi everyone. I may have the chance to be in Paris for a few days later this year and would love to visit some Camino-ey places. Unfortunately no time for walking any route. Would you have any suggestions? It will be my first time in the city :)
Just a head’s up on holidays - in 2015 I arrived on May 1, having forgotten this is a holiday in Europe. I think there may have been strikes involved somewhere also. Schedules were completely “off” so I spent a good deal of time hanging about before finally getting to SJPDP. Do check the holiday schedule for all the countries you’ll be be in.

Anamya

Keeping it simple
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2015)
Portugues (2017)
Lebaniego (2019)
Do check the holiday schedule for all the countries you’ll be be in.
I always do! It will probably be around Easter, so the city will be full of tourists and probably still with strikes :p

My idea is to try to find a central place and do most things walking. And take a camino approach to it relating to closures and strikes... it is just part of the journey. :)

The Tour de Saint Jacques seems like the PERFECT place, now I just need to find accomodation. Marais is a bit expensive, but at the same time, allows me to walk anywhere!

SenorJacques

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francés (May-June 2020)
The Tour de Saint Jacques seems like the PERFECT place, now I just need to find accomodation. Marais is a bit expensive, but at the same time, allows me to walk anywhere!
I will be spending a few days in Paris before my Camino this May and after learning about the Tour St. Jacques and its historical significance as a traditional starting point it became the first thing on my to-visit list once I get there. I remember reading somewhere that you can even get your pilgrim passport stamped in a building on the park grounds, which (if still true) is pretty darn cool.

As for accommodations, you might want to consider looking around Montparnasse as well - also very walkable, and in my experience less expensive than the Marais.

Last edited:

CWBuff

Camino(s) past & future
in Planning stage: Frances (SJPdP --> SdC) & Finisterre "2021" ... (GOD WILLING!)
My last time in Paris I stayed at Timhotel Montmartre 11 Rue Ravignan, Place Emile Goudeau
the very next door was Picasso's house 🙂
you'd be surprized what places you can actually walk to within 15 mins
2 Metro stops (Abbesses & Pigalle) are also very close by
RER B & D are 1km away at Gare du Nord
They also serve breakfast for extra fee but there are enough of cafes around and then tons of various stores on Rue Lepic.....

NorthernLight

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Le Puy to Santiago via the Frances 2012-2013. EPW2015
Aragonese & Frances 2016
Burgos to Muxia 2017
There are yellow arrows you can follow across Paris. I once took the metro to St Denis, a suburb to the north that used to be its own village, with a cathedral that houses the burial spots of many of the French royal family. Lots of treasures there in the sacristy (costs € to view). There are yellow arrows outside the door (actually pointing in two directions), and the one set leads to downtown Paris. I walked it and it is rather bleak, so not a great use of limited Paris time.

You could follow the arrows from the Tour de Saint Jacques, south across the river and for a few km.

The Louvre has a medieval art collection.

There are some macabre options: the torture museum, the tour of the catacombs.

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Camino Conversations

Camino Conversations

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

Most downloaded Resources

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 55 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 196 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 325 24.8%
  • June

Votes: 95 7.3%
  • July

Votes: 24 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 379 29.0%
  • October

Votes: 158 12.1%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 7 0.5%

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock