Camino Places - Camino Places Website now in beta | Camino de Santiago Forum
Camino Forum App now available
Camino Forum Android APP Camino Forum iOS APP
Search 30 000 Camino Questions right here... your question might have been asked before
Camino Guides (for sale) | Camino Guides made by pilgrims
By Signing up to the forum (free) you will be able to:

-- Ask any Camino related question you might have
-- Participate in the camino conversation on this forum
-- Get an weekly e-mail (Saturdays) with the most popular topics from the last 7 days
-- Be able to download pdf's and other Camino Resources
Sign

Weekly forum email Daily forum email Luggage Storage in Santiago de Compostela
  1. Find places along the Camino de Santiago recommended by other Camino Forum members
    on the Camino Places website
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have a question you would like to ask? Here is how you do it!

Camino Places Camino Places Website now in beta

Discussion in '"Camino Places" - Help forum' started by ivar, May 12, 2016.

1. ivar

ivar Administrator Staff Member Donating Member

Dear all,

The Camino Places website is now available here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/camino-places/
    ...it still have some issues that I am working out, but it is good enough that I think we can start to use it.

Screen Shot 2016-05-12 at 09.43.27.png
    What is it?
    -- It is a place where we can share "places" along the various Caminos. Pin it to a map, so that when you are walking or sitting at home planning, you can look at the map and see where these various places are located.

How do I use it?
    -- Just go here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/camino-places/
    ...it might take a few seconds to load (this is one of the things we are working on to improve the load time).

To zoom in on the computer, just double click on the map... on a mobile device, just double tap with your finger. As you zoom in you will see that more places will appear.

What is the difference between the map on the home page and the map of the various Caminos in men header menu?
    -- The map on the home page shows all the places we have collected so far related to lodging (albergues, Hotels, pensions, ...). In the top menu you can click on for example the "Camino Frances" and you will see another map with more places. This is because this map also include restaurants, cafes and other types of places.The map for each camino also include a track of this camino on the map, so you can see if a certain place is far from the actual camino.

Please note: The maps in the top header menu load quite slowly and (as of now) does not work on mobile devices. If you are on mobile, please use the map on the front page for now. Also, we are working on speeding things up, so please have some patience :)

Can I add a place to the map?
    -- Only donating forum members can add a new place to the map. This has cost me some money to develop, and this is the way I try to get some money back, but only having donating members get the ability to add new places. If you are a donating member, you can log in to the map site here and log in with our Forum Login. Once you are in, you should see a "Add Site" link in the top menu (all the way to the top right).

Please note that it might take a few hours before a new place appears on the map. I am manually approving these places just to avoid having duplicate places appear on the map.

What is the difference between this map and the Camino Places iOS app?
    -- The Camino Places App for iOS is now free. All places created in the app will appear on the Camino Places map.

No comments are synced over, just the place and the photo (if any). This is for purely technical reasons, I know it would be good to have all the information synced over, but it got very complicated. Due to the same technical reasons, any new place created on the Camino Places Map will not be synced to the app.

Please note that this new map is still under development and that we are still working to make it better. Please post any feedback in the Camino Places forum here.

Happy planning!
    Ivar

Last edited: May 12, 2016
    musicagl, MickMac, KerrieG and 11 others like this.
  2. Ants

Ants Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    camino frances(2006) camino del norte(2010)camino portugues(2015)camino via de la plata(2017)
    Thank you Ivar..Camino places beta looks good

3. Wokabaut_Meri

Wokabaut_Meri merely labeled

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances SJPdP - Santiago (April/May 2015)
    Thanks, Ivar. Map loaded relatively quickly ie less than a minute for all data to appear, looks good and scales well. Did lose all data at 20m though - perhaps there is a limit to enlarging.

Easy to read and follow. Love the Keep It Simple principle...

Look forward to reviewing its progress and adding to its data. Showing the routes is a great assistance in planning lodging.

ivar likes this.
  4. Juanajoanna

Juanajoanna Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Planning to bike spring 2017
    I just opened it on my IPhone and the map loaded in seconds.
    Very easy to use.
    Is This only for accommodations? Or will there also be places to stop and visit along the way?

5. ivar

ivar Administrator Staff Member Donating Member

It could be for any type of place really... These are the types of places that I have added so far:
    Screen Shot 2016-05-12 at 19.13.33.png

...but (for now) the map on the front page only show lodging. To see the rest of the places you need to use the links at the top of the page (the various Caminos). These links at the top does not work well on mobile right now (working on it).

KerrieG and Peter Fransiscus like this.
  6. soozansings

soozansings Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    June 2nd (2016)
    Thank you, Ivar and all others who have helped. A great resource and I will definitely download it.

Peter Fransiscus and ivar like this.
  7. Angie94

Angie94 Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances - 2016 www.angie-carter.com/camino
    https://youtu.be/PtE_hvREZc4
    Awesome! I will look forward to using it starting next week.
    Thanks to all for the efforts on this project.

8. Peter Fransiscus

Peter Fransiscus Veteran Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    All that we are is the result of what we have thought.
    It's great and it is easy to use so far.
    Thank you for putting all the efforts in making it.
    Wish you well, Peter.

ivar likes this.