• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino playlist post

vwzoo

Time of past OR future Camino
I thought it would be fun to read other responses to this because I love listening to music and learning of new music. I will start this and hopefully get some great replies and new music to listen to.
I didn't listen to music all the time but I did listen a lot and I absolutely started my walk every morning with this song. My walk in 2018 was my dark night of the soul journey of faith basically. I truly felt led so this is the song I started mornings with:
Leonard Cohen
I also will say I had the sound track to the movie "The Way".

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm trying to learn Portuguese so I have light Portuguese music with me. It kills the earbugs and helps me learn.

I didn't listen to music too frequently on Camino. When I did it was mostly pop music, gangsta rap or a Spanish 'disco' playlist. There were a few times when I felt my music was inappropriate Camino lol. On those occasions I switched to a Japanese Buddhist chant playlist and specifically this piece, Heart Sutra which is one of the most beautiful things to exist.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Great choice, and I also had The Way soundtrack 👍
I’ll come in with a few I listened to

Proclaimer…I’m gonna be (500miles)…it was almost like it was written for the Camino 🤣
Donnie McLean…Caledonia
Mudhoney…In N Out Of Grace
The Who…Behind blue eyes
Willy Mason…Oxygen
Willie Nelson…On the road again
Lou Reed…Perfect Day
ELO…Mr Blue Sky

I don’t listen to a lot of music but these are just a few of my walking favourites when I need a wee boost

I preferred to hear the music of where I was. So I listened to cowbells, birdsong, and cuckoos.
I too NEVER listen to music when I am walking on the Camino. No podcasts, no telephone, nada! I want to feel the earth and wind, the wind against my face, hear the sounds around me, even if it is a highway and the smells even if it is cows**t fertilizer.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I haven't listened to a lot of music on the camino, but one time I was listening on a particularly long flat stretch alongside a quiet highway that Brierly called a "soulless senda". (Not that I felt it was soulless.) This song came up in my shuffle rotation and it was such a thrill. I'd gotten it from somewhere and hadn't really paid attention to it before but it sure got my attention when the words "Hay tantos caminos por andar" came up. That means "There are so many caminos to walk." The name of the song is "Andar Conmigo", "Walk with Me."

I highly recommend Julieta Venegas, a Mexican singer. She has some wonderful songs.

I thought it would be fun to read other responses to this because I love listening to music and learning of new music. I will start this and hopefully get some great replies and new music to listen to.
I didn't listen to music all the time but I did listen a lot and I absolutely started my walk every morning with this song. My walk in 2018 was my dark night of the soul journey of faith basically. I truly felt led so this is the song I started mornings with:
Leonard Cohen
I didn't listen to music while I walked but if I had it would have been "This too shall pass " by Tyler Stenson, and "Never give up" by Olivia Newton John.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Leonard Cohen
I love this song.

I’m doing my first Camino in September and I guarantee that when I put in my headphones, if I put in my headphones, it will be the interstellar soundtrack

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Though I am not a big listener while actually walking, I know many do enjoy it. I've always thought that Andreas Vollenweider's music would be very pleasant to walk to, such as tracks from his "Down to the Moon" album. "White Winds" too is wonderful.

Leonard Cohen
I love this! Going to add it to my Spotify. Thanks for sharing 😊

Leonard Cohen
What a lovely song. Thank you for sharing! I will be adding this to my play list.
Music is such a huge part of my and my family's life that when I start walking in 4 weeks, I have asked the dear ones in my life to give me 5 songs for my camino playlist. I plan to think of each person with love and gratitude as I listen to their songs. So far, they range wildly in style- from classic rock, Mozart, Italian crooners to a 15 year old boy's techno Phong. They all make me smile.
I don't plan on listing to music all the time, but I anticipate moments where I will enjoy it.
Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
While walking my various caminos, I listened to the music of everyday - the people, the places around me.
I have since enjoyed a lot of music based on (the) Camino to Santiago, for example:
Dum Pater Familias, by John Eliot Gardiner. I like to imagine bands of pilgrims of ancient times tramping along, with the rhythm of it keeping them going...
Elmear Quinn with Carlos Nuñez singing and playing Yann Derrien - a story of a young man urged on to Santiago by the spirit of his mother, to pray for her soul there...
And how could I omit the Chieftains, Santiago.
and now I add a link to something I kept since the start of the year, just rediscovered it - Did I find it here? Never mind! Hope you like it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Leonard Cohen
I'm working on a playlist myself. I saw Leonard Cohen in concert 12 or so years ago - he was 74. Many of his songs are (I accidentally posted at this point, EDITED TO ADD: so many of his songs would be apprpriate to the Camino; he was a very spiritual person, a seeker, for instance, "Anthem":

"Ring the bell that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in ..."
I didn't listen to music while I walked but if I had it would have been "This too shall pass " by Tyler Stenson, and "Never give up" by Olivia Newton John.
I was also thinking about Tyler Stenson's "Best Laid Plans," which ends the wonderful film, "Walking the Camino: Six Ways to Santiago."

Last edited:
Leonard Cohen
I remember one final day where I was walking for ever and ended up alone that day. I had only to get up one more hill which was only 2kms more, but, by that time, with blistered feet and a disheartened spirit it was all I could do to carry on. It was 2016 so I still just had a mini mp3 player with me, and then the song "I see your true colours" came on. It was a moment where I felt as if the Divine was speaking these words to me. "You with the sad eyes, don't be discouraged... I see your true colours shining through." I put that on repeat. I cried my way up that hill.

I have made a spotify playlist recently. I hope that I can share in my playlist songs that might show up at just the right moment for pilgrims on the journey. Believe me, it is not an easy journey, and there are times you may be disheartened, but know that you walk with all that have come before and all that are on the journey. Once on the camino, you are always on the camino.
Buen Camino

I am especially enjoying tracks by Rob Riccardo. I wonder if he has walked the camino?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I remember one final day where I was walking for ever and ended up alone that day. I had only to get up one more hill which was only 2kms more, but, by that time, with blistered feet and a disheartened spirit it was all I could do to carry on. It was 2016 so I still just had a mini mp3 player with me, and then the song "I see your true colours" came on. It was a moment where I felt as if the Divine was speaking these words to me. "You with the sad eyes, don't be discouraged... I see your true colours shining through." I put that on repeat. I cried my way up that hill.

I have made a spotify playlist recently. I hope that I can share in my playlist songs that might show up at just the right moment for pilgrims on the journey. Believe me, it is not an easy journey, and there are times you may be disheartened, but know that you walk with all that have come before and all that are on the journey. Once on the camino, you are always on the camino.
Buen Camino

I am especially enjoying tracks by Rob Riccardo. I wonder if he has walked the camino?
"Once on the camino, you are always on the camino." Yes.

I am enjoying this thread, and taking notes. It's pretty clear that there is no one fits all playlist. Sometimes the perfect playlist is wherever you are, listening to whatever is available at the time. There will be moments when, ever after, you will remember a song associated with a place, no matter how incongruous. Example: I met my partner on what was for both of us our first camino, in 2007. We listened to music on the less interesting stretches, and when we needed a boost toward the end of a long day of walking. Sometimes we would switch devices/earphones. He had a playlist that was largely compiled of suggestions from friends... and his three teenage sons. His own selections were Dutch folk songs. I didn't speak a word of Dutch. We were falling in love, and it was all wonderful. We have walked many camino together since then. Mostly the sounds and the silence around us is enough. Sometimes music helps us through a challenging period when we are really tired, and with music I find my energy restored, even dancing along the way, hiking poles in the air. So, what's on your playlist? Be open to whatever presents itself to you, and don't forget to dance.

Great thread! So when I walked the Camino Frances I only listened to an hour of music a day - usually late in the afternoon when I really needed the distraction from how sore my feet were. But the song that most reminds me most of the Camino is “Send Me on My Way” by Rusted Root. It just somehow encompasses the joy and feed on of the Camino. Check it out below.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back