• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Point of Interest

Delynda Drury

Time of past OR future Camino
My husband and I will be enjoying the Camino de Santiago (French Way) next May 2016.
Hello
Amongst all the forums, articles and books I've read of the Camino I notice the arrangements of rocks laid in a circular pattern on the ground. I have been unable to find the significants of these. Does anyone know what the purpose or origin is?
Thank you in advance as I'm sure I'll have my answers before long from the many experienced pilgrims here.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello
Amongst all the forums, articles and books I've read of the Camino I notice the arrangements of rocks laid in a circular pattern on the ground. I have been unable to find the significants of these. Does anyone know what the purpose or origin is?
Thank you in advance as I'm sure I'll have my answers before long from the many experienced pilgrims here.

For others' comments regarding stone circles see this earlier Forum thread.

Whoever made them certainly had great patience! Here's proof on Flickr!

Last edited:
Some people just like to make "art" along the paths. I believe that is the only significance. My guess is that the majority of pilgrims would prefer that the landscape be left as nature intended.
Thank you Michael
Ok well that explains it. Since it's obvious they haven't been around for a lengthy period of time. I thought I did see someone add a stone to continue the circle while watching a video but unfortunately there are those that done have such reverence for the fragile historical value of something either.
Thank you for the clarification

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

We have arrived in San Sebastián today to start our small journey on the Camino Norte and we are just so excited. We managed to get sometime with Aussie friends of ours that we met on the Camino...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back