• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Portugal - is it becoming more popular?

Orlaith

Time of past OR future Camino
I have walked the Camino Frances (2009) all of it at once, and part of it from Pamplona to Bugros again (2011). Walked a little of the Primitivo to Santiago and beyond to Finnestere (2012). I walked in France from Le Puy to Conque (2014). Walked the Camino Portuguese from Port to Santiago (2015)
Hello All

Looking for a little advice!

Basically I have walked the Camino Frances (St Jean to Santiago) in 2009. Loved it! I went back in 2011 to walk some of the way again and did some of the old Camino another year and walked to Finnisterre.

Last year I thought I would try France and walked a little from Le Puy to Conque. I went in Oct (work got in the way and as hoped to walk in Sept) and it was fine except the way markings were very challenging (almost got lost once) and it was very very quiet. Lots of alone time...a little too much in fact. And unfortunately those I did meet, were not as friendly or open as one would expect. Walking along the Lot Valley however was so beautiful and made it all worthwhile!

Question is - Im interested in walking in Portugal for a couple of weeks (there is a 12 day walk which would be perfect!). But Ive been told that it is also very quiet. Aware its becoming more popular...so wondering can anyone out there give me an idea of HOW quiet??!! I am happy to walk alone some times but its also pleasant to have company occasionally?

Cheers
Orla

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Orla
I am on CP at present starting in Lisbon.
Walking 8 days now and have see few pilgrims

Walk alone or but ineveninggher is always 2 or 3 people about in alburgue.
It will get used after Porto I think at present I a loony the quiet time but stages are very long. 30 On my way! Most days.

Hope the helps.

Peter

12 days means that you are about to start from Porto.
Most people on the Caminho Português walk from Porto .the mi ority from Lisbon because this takes about one month
If you walkt the central route e.a Porto, São Pedro de Rates, Barcelos ,Ponte de Lima, Tui ,Redondela, Pontevedra, Caldas de Reis and Padón to Santioago you certainly will meet other pilgrims

More lonesome are the coastal caminho and the interior route.

Read a bit back on this forum and you'll find it out all
Bom caminho

Hello to Peter and Albertino

Thanks both for your replies! Very helpful.

I am planning on going from Oporto to Santiago (and in fact given that there is a lot of road leaving Oporto, I will take the bus to a better starting point I think) Pontevedra onwards I think will be fine re meeting some people...but good to know that there maybe be other walkers before this.

And yep - I will read through some of the other posts on this way...I hear its beautiful
Orla

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I advise you to read all the info on this forum about the caminho Portugues.
There is roadwalking but also off road trails, forests etc.
It is the Portuguese caminho with its attactions. The beautifull landscapes, the kind Portuguese people, the excellent food and wines.
I have walked the CP twice and my next ones will be the CP again.
Look underneath at my signature. Two vids from this year and a blog in english.

Hi Peregrina 2000.
When you return the Camino Ingles, I am tempted to making an album with my pictures of the Caminho Português do Interior (year 2012).
AMSimoes

I am in Santiago now having just finished the Coastal Portuguese Caminho.
I started alone but hooked up with a Irish couple, a German couple and an Girl from Oz.... all in low 30's and very fit. We walked the route next to the sea all the way to Vigo and the cut over to meet the central route.
I am much more than twice the age of the others but had no problems matching the pace... A bit of surprise to them when they learned my actual age.
We finished from Porto in an easy ten days

Until Vigo the route was flat... As in NO hills right along the shore. Very well marked and very good albergues available.
One of the girls had a nice small guide she picked in Porto. Very simple and accurate
I would recommend it.
There were many people when we met the central route....many more than I expected. There was room in the albergues but only because there are so many available.

The route has become very popular.

Hello Orla. Walked the Portuguse last October from Porto (coastal route) and it would not call this stretch quiet so you'll meet lots of other pilgrims. There is a lot of road walking out of Porto. It is an option to walk along the coastal path from Porto to Villa do Conde, it is app. 30 k I guess and I heard its very beautiful as you walk along the sea. ( I think you can even skip the first 8k by taking the metro) Villa do Conde is a nice little town and very much worth staying overnight. From there you can rejoin the central path, its another 30 k to Barcelos I guess. Bom caminho!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My husband and I just walked from Oporto to Santiago a month ago and met lots and lots of people! There were three other pilgrims even along the supposedly quiet coast walk between Matosinhos and Vila Cha.

We took the #500 bus out of Porto to Matosinhos, so that we could enjoy the river estuary and the coastal walk as far as Matosinhos. I think it's probably a bit slower than the Metro, but well worth it.

We took the #500 bus out of Porto to Matosinhos, so that we could enjoy the river estuary and the coastal walk as far as Matosinhos. I think it's probably a bit slower than the Metro, but well worth it.
We took the sidewalk out of Porto to Matosinhos, so that we could enjoy the river estuary and the coastal walk as far as Matosinhos. I think it's probably a bit slower than the bus or Metro, but well worth it.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello Orla. Walked the Portuguse last October from Porto (coastal route) and it would not call this stretch quiet so you'll meet lots of other pilgrims. There is a lot of road walking out of Porto. It is an option to walk along the coastal path from Porto to Villa do Conde, it is app. 30 k I guess and I heard its very beautiful as you walk along the sea. ( I think you can even skip the first 8k by taking the metro) Villa do Conde is a nice little town and very much worth staying overnight. From there you can rejoin the central path, its another 30 k to Barcelos I guess. Bom caminho!

Hello Marc

Thanks for this reply and its good to hear that there will be others walking.

And for the advice on walking along the coast to avoid the road out of Porto. Sound beautiful...so thanks to all who have responded and all I need to do now is book a flight over.

Bom Caminho!!
Orla

I am in Santiago now having just finished the Coastal Portuguese Caminho.
I started alone but hooked up with a Irish couple, a German couple and an Girl from Oz.... all in low 30's and very fit. We walked the route next to the sea all the way to Vigo and the cut over to meet the central route.
I am much more than twice the age of the others but had no problems matching the pace... A bit of surprise to them when they learned my actual age.
We finished from Porto in an easy ten days

Until Vigo the route was flat... As in NO hills right along the shore. Very well marked and very good albergues available.
One of the girls had a nice small guide she picked in Porto. Very simple and accurate
I would recommend it.
There were many people when we met the central route....many more than I expected. There was room in the albergues but only because there are so many available.

The route has become very popular.

Thank you for this info! I start the coastal route next week. You mentioned that one of the girls you walked with had a small guide that she found in Porto. Do you know where she picked it up?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
She said she got it in a book store.
It was fairly small and light colored.. Maybe white with a picture of a shell on the cover.
It had a hole punched in the cover.
I recall she said she paid about 10 euro for it.
It is worth hunting for.

She said she got it in a book store.
It was fairly small and light colored.. Maybe white with a picture of a shell on the cover.
It had a hole punched in the cover.
I recall she said she paid about 10 euro for it.
It is worth hunting for.
Thank you!

I have walked the coastal/ littoral routes twice (both on the Portuguese side and on the Spanish side of the river Minho) and the central/ interior once.
Love walking on the all 3 routes :)

My next camino will start from Santarem June, 2016.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
ALBERTINHO....

I think we all agree that s guide is not needed on any route for finding the way

The guide I recommended is useful for a simple description of the location of albergues, etc.
it is very small and does not go into great detail about the actual walking route.
Some of us do like to have an idea of what is ahead and where we might find an albergue or other sleeping facilities.

I agree with @grayland .
Most of us want some information on the next village, the next albergue and especially because we do not book ahead. Some days we walk more and some days we walk less. We let the camino decide and do not plan too much ahead. But we want to know the possible different options where to find an albergue.

Without a guide I would have missed the lovely lonely mountains between As Mariñas and Baiona with a gorgeous view over the Atlantic ocean on a lovely day on the coastal CP on the Spanish ground. I also needed the guide for finding the way when it was not so well marked.

Albertinho...
Your name should also be in bold. :)

There is, in fact, a new guide available in the book stores in Porto and maybe elsewhere

It covers the coastal route all the way to Vigo .. always by the sea.
Simple information and worth having for those who (like Annie and myself) who like a little information on the area we are in.
Nothing at all like Brierley.
It is new... I just walked with a girl from Oz who had picked it up in Porto before starting on 11 July.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Orlaith,

I walked the CP at the end of May/begining of June this year and must admit if it's well marked through Portugal some of the arrows must have been hiding from me.

We loaded our GPS with the routes from Luis Frexio http://www.caminador.es/?page_id=117 but still had a few problems.

Catch the metro out of Porto to Matosinosh!

Be prepared for a lot of walking on granite block surfaces - SO hard on the feet. Walking into Vigo was tiring to say the least.

You'll have a lot more company from Redondela onwards where route merge.

The ferry out of Caminha to Spain only runs at the weekend - there's a problem with the channel silting up, we even ran aground 50 metres out of Caminha!

There are far fewer bars/cafes than on the CF once you leave the coast.

On the upside Portugal is lovely and the Portuguese very friendly and helpful. As for Galicia . . . :)

For what it's worth I kept a blog running while away

https://caminolitoral.wordpress.com/

Which may help (or not)

Either way have a great Camino

regards

Jeffrey

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I must be the only one who walked and will be walking out of Porto. Along the river to the Atlantic Ocean and to Matosinhos and past Matosinhos.

I walked the river and coast from Porto Se and loved it.

I followed the first arrow in front of the cathedral, got to a street, heard what sounded like a street market or fair, followed the sounds down hill, found the river and turned right. I found old men fishing, a family heading out kayaking, views of the port warehouses on the south side of the river, a sailing class, fishing boats, a surfing class, a schooner, and an arbor just by looking left.

I will gladly do it again just to see what I missed on the right side of the walk.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello All

Basically I have walked the Camino Frances (St Jean to Santiago) in 2009. Loved it! I went back in 2011 to walk some of the way again and did some of the old Camino another year and walked to Finnisterre.

Last year I thought I would try France and walked a little from Le Puy to Conque. I went in Oct (work got in the way and as hoped to walk in Sept) and it was fine except the way markings were very challenging (almost got lost once) and it was very very quiet. Lots of alone time...a little too much in fact. And unfortunately those I did meet, were not as friendly or open as one would expect. Walking along the Lot Valley however was so beautiful and made it all worthwhile!

Question is - Im interested in walking in Portugal for a couple of weeks (there is a 12 day walk which would be perfect!). But Ive been told that it is also very quiet. Aware its becoming more popular...so wondering can anyone out there give me an idea of HOW quiet??!! I am happy to walk alone some times but its also pleasant to have company occasionally?

Cheers
Orla
I walked the CP last year with my dad.. We met many wonderful people along the way. Some places were quiet some were busy. It was a great walk. I urge you to do this one. It was very beautiful.

Hello All

Cheers
Orla

Hi @Orlaith,

I walked from Valença in April and although it was very quiet but I never felt alone. I saw the same people along the way over and over. We were all walking at different paces but would meet and greet in bars, restaurants and coffee shops along the way. For two days I walked with a father and daughter and we had dinner together in Pontevedra. I believe, just my opinion of course, you'll find company specially if you walk during the warmer months.

Now that I look back, one of the reasons I think I walked alone for five days was I didn't stay in any of the public albergues. If you do, it may be easier to find company.

Hello All

Cheers
Orla
Hello All

Cheers
Orla

Hi,

I have just come back from walking the Portuguese Camino ,I started from Lisbon,the first half to Porto I barely saw a sole,from Porto onwards I met more walkers,I would say it was not the social event I had experienced the previous year on the Frances.

That is more than compensated for by the wonderful views and the lovely Portuguese people , you will also note that everything is much cheaper and the food is superb.

We ended up walking in a group of 10 and I can honestly say we had a great time staying in some great accommodation .

I did a daily blog if you would like to see it let me know.

I think you will love it, if you start from Porto I would advise you spending a couple of days in that beautiful city.

Going to do the Madrid next year.

Good luck and have fun

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi,

Yes, please post a link to your blog. We are walking from Lisbon next year and I would love to read it.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Hello, I am interested in your blog, especially for the part from Lisbon to Porto as I am starting around 21st August.
How can I have acces to It ?

Hi, I am starting my walk in Oia on the coast on August 25th. As I have never done anything on my own and didn't know what to expect I have booked through Follow the Camino and have pre booked all my hotels. My luggage will be transfered each day and I will walk with a day pack :). I start at Oia, then to Baiona, Vigo, Redondela, Ponteverda, Calas de Rei, Padron then Santiago. I am hoping to meet some pilgrims to chat with but am also happy on my own, I guess there will always time to talk with pilgrims at meal times... Good luck with which ever way you choose. Buen camino.

Hello All

Cheers
Orla
Porto to Santiago, I walked it last year. You can't go wrong and the Portuguese people were fantastic. Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thanks for this link. We're starting from Lisbon on the 9th September, but walking at a slower pace than most. Expect to take about 5 weeks - average 20km per day.

Hi,

I have just come back from walking the Portuguese Camino ,I started from Lisbon,the first half to Porto I barely saw a sole,from Porto onwards I met more walkers,I would say it was not the social event I had experienced the previous year on the Frances.

That is more than compensated for by the wonderful views and the lovely Portuguese people , you will also note that everything is much cheaper and the food is superb.

We ended up walking in a group of 10 and I can honestly say we had a great time staying in some great accommodation .

I think you will love it, if you start from Porto I would advise you spending a couple of days in that beautiful city.

Good luck and have fun
I would like to see your blog. I leave Sept. 1 from Lisbon.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi,

Good luck and have fun
Hi,

Good luck and have fun

Hello

Thank you so much for this advice. Flight booked today to Porto via Spain and now really looking forward to it. Fly in in 5th Sept and will stay a couple of nights in Porto as you suggest. It seems to be a beautiful city.

Would love to read your blog if you are happy to share.
Thanks again
Orla

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back