• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Portuges Central from Lisbon

Rosway

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2019, CP 2021, Primitivo 2022, Del Norte 2023
My friend and I will begin the full Portuguese Camino (Central) from Lisbon on Sept 27th. We are checking out accommodation in order to book ahead some private accommodation. We may use albergues at some points along the way. We would appreciate any up to date comments about accommodation availability or other comments on what's happening on the Camino. I will check out Gronze.com which I presume is the best resource. Are there likely to be many on the Camino at that time? Presumably the Lisbon-Oporto section will be less busy. Thanks.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My friend and I will begin the full Portuguese Camino (Central) from Lisbon on Sept 27th. We are checking out accommodation in order to book ahead some private accommodation. We may use albergues at some points along the way. We would appreciate any up to date comments about accommodation availability or other comments on what's happening on the Camino. I will check out Gronze.com which I presume is the best resource. Are there likely to be many on the Camino at that time? Presumably the Lisbon-Oporto section will be less busy. Thanks.
Gronze does do a good job of keeping up to date on openings/closings of albergues. I would also download the CP apps for Wise Pilgrim/Buen Camino and finally the Camino Ninja app. I have heard they also do an excellent job of keeping up on open/closed albergues. I will use it when I walk the VDLP in October. If you can please call ahead to make reservations directly. You will be surprised how many people can speak English in Portugal especially in private accommodations. Owners need all the euros they can get and booking through a third party cuts into their profits. You can often get better rates that way. It is less crowded until you get closer to Porto. I would also recommend taking the Spiritual Variant near the end of the Camino. It is supposed to be absolutely beautiful. There is lots of information here about it.
Have fun, have a hat and sunscreen. I also started around the same time and there is alot of open area especially from Lisbon that does not give you any protection from the sun. I think that whole camino we had about 8 drops of rain, literally and almost every day there was barely a cloud in the sky until we got close to Tui. But who knows how it will be this year. You will love the people of Portugal too.

View attachment 107857
Here is my itinerary from September 2020 from Lisbon to Coimbra. Most albergues were closed so I booked in advance using my guidebook (Village to Village Map Guide “Camino Portugues”) and Booking.com
All went according to plan except more mud and flies than expected in the first few days.
Thanks very much for your itinerary..very helpful.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Gronze does do a good job of keeping up to date on openings/closings of albergues. I would also download the CP apps for Wise Pilgrim/Buen Camino and finally the Camino Ninja app. I have heard they also do an excellent job of keeping up on open/closed albergues. I will use it when I walk the VDLP in October. If you can please call ahead to make reservations directly. You will be surprised how many people can speak English in Portugal especially in private accommodations. Owners need all the euros they can get and booking through a third party cuts into their profits. You can often get better rates that way. It is less crowded until you get closer to Porto. I would also recommend taking the Spiritual Variant near the end of the Camino. It is supposed to be absolutely beautiful. There is lots of information here about it.
Have fun, have a hat and sunscreen. I also started around the same time and there is alot of open area especially from Lisbon that does not give you any protection from the sun. I think that whole camino we had about 8 drops of rain, literally and almost every day there was barely a cloud in the sky until we got close to Tui. But who knows how it will be this year. You will love the people of Portugal too.

Didn't know about those apps and thanks for your suggestions. Yes I am looking forward to it..a little concerned about availability of accommodation in these times..but I am sure it will be fine.

Hi Rosway, I'm leaving Lisbon the day before you. I will also be doing the Central Way. I expect that you'll soon catch up to me, I'm not a fast walker. I'll be the grey haired peregrino with the green backpack.
Buen Camino

I do not think you have to book in advance on the first part from Lisbon to Porto.
first of all it is not very busy on that track and secondly there are plenty places to stay.

you can start in Lisbon Lisbon is allways busy but when, take the train for a couple of minutes to Parque de Nações -the former World Exhibition place from 1998- there is a youth hostal If I where you check in there. Have a nice stay with all restaurants around and when you start your caminho take the train back to Santa Apalonia station and walk to the church nearby , the Sé cathedral in the Alfáma area where your caminho starts and walk back 8 kms to Parque the Nações for another night and an easy start .you even can do that without backpack .
On our way we stayed in hotels, hostals, at the Tomar firebrigade , at a Highschool in Cernache , at the Nuns retraitehouse in Albergaría a Velha Lovely experiences
after Porto if you are on the Central route don’t forget to stay at Casa da Fernanda in the village of Vitorino dos Piães between Barcelos and Ponte de Lima .(to be adviced to call Fernanda ahead it can be full. A once in a life experience!)
and between Redondela and Pontevedra in Cessantes where you find o Refúxio de la Jérezana , a nice albergue .

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Roseway my wife and I did the Portuguese Camino from Lisbon in April 2018. From Porto we took the road along the ocean to the Spanish border. From Lisbon to Porto the road is the same and the ocean road splits from the center road at Porto.

You can read more on our block at: https://wetanddustyroads.com/category/caminos/camino-portuguese-april-2018/

Didn't know about those apps and thanks for your suggestions. Yes I am looking forward to it..a little concerned about availability of accommodation in these times..but I am sure it will be fine.
That is why I suggested so many apps to you. They are all free and no one app has all accommodations listed. More apps better chance of finding something. Buen Camino

We did the Central Way in 2018. Check out Casa's in addition to albergues. They are smaller but offer a home atmosphere. We stayed at several and enjoyed them.

Buen Camino Bob

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Roseway my wife and I did the Portuguese Camino from Lisbon in April 2018. From Porto we took the road along the ocean to the Spanish border. From Lisbon to Porto the road is the same and the ocean road splits from the center road at Porto.

You can read more on our block at: https://wetanddustyroads.com/category/caminos/camino-portuguese-april-2018/
That link was really helpful...very well presented. Great photos and description to guide me on early stages. Many thanks.

Thanks for all the replies...good support like this is so useful..makes the planning much easier.

I got some very helpful replies recently on the forum about accommodation for which I am very grateful

I just have a few more questions and some experienced members maybe able to help.

My friend and I have booked private accommodation for quite a bit of the route-as far as Oporto so far.
Of course any update on current demand for accommodation beyond Oporto would be welcome.

I am wondering about facilities for washing clothes along the Camino. When I did the Camino Frances I stayed in albergues so there was no problem getting one's clothes washed.
I am sure there will be places available but after a long days walk I would prefer not to have to search for a launderette etc.

Also another issue is getting the pilgrim passport stamped. Does one have to go to an albergue or restaurant.
On first night, I will be staying in a small hotel in Lisbon, not too far from the Cathedral and will set out on following day.
I notice the Cathedral office doesn't open until 9.30am. I would like get walking earlier on first day-20 miles to do. Perhaps there is somewhere nearby that I can get passport stamped
I have emailed hotel for advice but no reply.

Thanking you

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Also another issue is getting the pilgrim passport stamped. Does one have to go to an albergue or restaurant.
On first night, I will be staying in a small hotel in Lisbon, not too far from the Cathedral and will set out on following day.
I notice the Cathedral office doesn't open until 9.30am. I would like get walking earlier on first day-20 miles to do.
The stamp doesn't have to come from an albergue or a restaurant, it can be from any establishment. Almost all hotels in Portugal have a stamp with the restaurant name and possibly address for business purposes. So even though it's not a stamp intended for pilgrim use, it is still valid.

An early start on the first day is definitely recommended so you can get your stamp elsewhere and/or have your passport stamped at the cathedral the afternoon before if you arrive in time.

Bom caminho!

Last edited:
The stamp doesn't have to come from an albergue or a restaurant, it can be from any establishment. Almost all hotels in Portugal have a stamp with the restaurant name and possibly address for business purposes. So even though it's not a stamp intended for pilgrim use, it is still valid.

An early start on the first day is definitely recommended so you can get your stamp elsewhere and/or have your passport stamped at the cathedral the afternoon before if you arrive in time.

Bom caminho!
Thanks for that...I will arrive in Lisbon late next Sunday evening and start early on Monday morning.
It would great if I could get the stamp at the hotel...otherwise hopefully some cafe/restaurant will be open early.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I always hand wash my clothes every night. Let them soak first while you are in the shower.
I did the same on the Camino Frances. There was always either a machine or a sink for hand washing in the albergues... this Camino will be different. I will bring some more basic clothing items just in case

I did the same on the Camino Frances. There was always either a machine or a sink for hand washing in the albergues... this Camino will be different. I will bring some more basic clothing items just in case
Will you be staying in private rooms with en-suites? There's your sink.
I would bring extra underwear and socks, but not any other extra clothes. And if you use merino wool shirts, they can go for several days without washing without getting stinky.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Rosway, It was a delight yesterday when we realized that you had indeed caught up with me in the cafe in Soianda or was it Calvinos, a short walk from Tomar. You and Frankie are very fast I hope we meet again.

Rosway, It was a delight yesterday when we realized that you had indeed caught up with me in the cafe in Soianda or was it Calvinos, a short walk from Tomar. You and Frankie are very fast I hope we meet again.
I hope we do meet again Bruce. Maybe we will meet in Santiago. Enjoy your Camino. I hope we continue to be lucky with the weather.

Hi John, I think I may have seen Frankie in the plaza in Coimbra two nights ago.
I’m in Agreda tonight, I’m sure you are days ahead.
Been Camino!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi John, I think I may have seen Frankie in the plaza in Coimbra two nights ago.
I’m in Agreda tonight, I’m sure you are days ahead.
Been Camino!
We are in Agueda tonight staying in Agueda Hostel and Friends. You are doing very well.

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back