• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Portuges vs. Camino Ingles

J&L

Time of past OR future Camino
Ingles, Portugues, or Sanabres 2016
My wife and I are considering these two routes (CP from Tui to Santiago, CI from Ferrol) for 2016. Can anyone advise as to which one has less walking on busy/hazardous roads? Also, is one route to be preferred generally over the other? If so, why? Many thanks!

Jeff

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I don't remember any walking on hazardous roads on the Inglés, but have heard that the Portugues is flatter. Johnnie's guide might help you decide and you can also compare elevations on Gronze.

I don't remember any walking on hazardous roads on the Inglés, but have heard that the Portugues is flatter. Johnnie's guide might help you decide and you can also compare elevations on Gronze.
Depends where you start on the Portugese Tia but starting from Valença/Tui the worst part is left behind.only some nasty descendings beyond Redondela.
Indeed the Inglès has more inclinations .
I liked both caminos but after all I prefer the Portuguese more due the very friendly Portugese people you meet, the food and the wines and the common atmosphere. Can't hardly wait untill monday next to leave for Porto for another caminho Português

Btw the Portugese should be something for you and company I think !

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My wife and I are considering these two routes (CP from Tui to Santiago, CI from Ferrol) for 2016. Can anyone advise as to which one has less walking on busy/hazardous roads? Also, is one route to be preferred generally over the other? If so, why? Many thanks!

Jeff
Jeff, welcome on the forum. Just what you prefer ! The Portugese is more road walking but very doable besides that there are more Portugese caminhos.
The coastal, the central and the internal.All different.
I walked the Caminho Português central all away from Lisbon, walked the Inglès from Ferrol and start next tuesday the caminho Português coastal from Porto.
What my wife and I like is the friendly contacts with the Portugese people, we love their food and wines. The landscape We love Portugal.
But if you ever should start in Tui, you hardly will meet them because from there you'll walk in Spain-Galicia .also very kind people but a different atmosphere. What I liked too. I used to work for some years in Spain .
But we love the camino in common and the complete atmosphere with a laugh and a tear..
Read back a bit back on the Ingles forum and on the Portugese, I advise you.

And you are kindly invited to follow my travelblog which starts next tuesday (if wifi is available in the first albergue in Vairão near Porto ) the language will not be a problem. Our blog is in English and Dutch.

http://caminho-portuges-da-costa.reismee.nl/profiel/

Bom caminho

Last edited:
Jeff, welcome on the forum. Just what you prefer ! The Portugese is more road walking but very doable besides that there are more Portugese caminhos.
The coastal, the central and the internal.All different.
I walked the Caminho Português central all away from Lisbon, walked the Inglès from Ferrol and start next tuesday the caminho Português coastal from Porto.
What my wife and I like is the friendly contacts with the Portugese people, we love their food and wines. The landscape We love Portugal.
But if you ever should start in Tui, you hardly will meet them because from there you'll walk in Spain-Galicia .also very kind people but a different atmosphere. What I liked too. I used to work for some years in Spain .
But we love the camino in common and the complete atmosphere with a laugh and a tear..
Read back a bit back on the Ingles forum and on the Portugese, I advise you.

And you are kindly invited to follow my travelblog which starts next tuesday (if wifi is available in the first albergue in Vairão near Porto ) the language will not be a problem. Our blog is in English and Dutch.

http://caminho-portuges-da-costa.reismee.nl/profiel/

Bom caminho

Thank you, Albertinho! Have a great walk along the coastal route from Porto - I will definitely read your blog with interest!

Jeff

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

On one of the FB forums, someone asked about detouring to Fragas do Eume, just outside of Pontedeume, and it looks amazing. Since I'm splitting up Ferrol - Pontedeume into two days (taking the...
We lost a set of black Leki trekking poles today between Ferrol and Neda just past the Monastario de San Martino. We sat down for a rest near the top of the hill amidst the houses. The poles were...
Hi, finally plans for Camino Ingles become real, some accomodations, booked already, checking flights, etc..., starting 02june :) We are taking it slow, 8 days on the road, below are our stages...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.