• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Portugese from Lisbon: How challenging is it?

Finnie

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances April 2015 Camino Portugese (April 2016)
I am planning to walk this route from Lisbon to Santiago in the spring of 2016. I have heard that the stage from Lisbon to Porto is poorly signed and largely through industrial areas. Does anyone have up to date info on this route?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I had some trouble with the signage at places between Lisbon & Porto last year but it's not that bad in most places. Also, I would not ever consider that section as "largely through industrial areas". I remember only a very few short bits in industrial areas unless you count farm land as industrial.

Overall, the part from Lisbon to Porto can be challenging physically but the longer stretches can be shortened with a little work. That section also has what I consider the best parts of the Caminho, i.e., Lisbon, Coimbra, Tomar and Santarem. These places are not to be missed, IMHO. There are fewer pilgrims before Porto but it helps in forming closer friendships with those who are there and you certainly appreciate more the pilgrims who start in Porto. If it helps, feel free to have a look at my blog below. I tell the good and the bad. I recommend walking from Lisbon if you have the time and resources.

Last edited:
Thanks for this encouraging reply, Michael. I will certainly read your blog.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I agree with @MichaelSG. I walked from Lisbon last year. There is a lot of beautiful scenery to walk through - many woodlands and farmland and an incredible amount of wild flowers in spring time. You can lessen the effect of the industrial areas by planning to walk through them at the weekend when they are practically deserted.

I would recommend that you give the soles of your feet some good protection against the cobble stones you will enciunter. And if you find the length of some stages a bit daunting, look in the resources section of this forum where you will find a document listing various ways to break up the longer distances.

I thoroughly enjoyed this camino last year. Give yourself an extra day or two in Lisbon if you can - it is a beautiful city, and as @MichaelSG says, there are some really interesting places to discover along the way.

I also blogged about my experience, posting every day live from the camino. If you would like to take a look, see the link below.
Bom caminho

Do either of you have an approximate cost of walking this route from Lisbon?
I'm mostly interested in lodging costs?
Thanks.

[/QUOTE] If it helps, feel free to have a look at my blog below. I tell the good and the bad. I recommend walking from Lisbon if you have the time and resources.[/QUOTE]

Can't wait to read this! I had anticipated doing yet another Camino, very possibly the CP. Thank you!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I agree with @MichaelSG. I walked from Lisbon last year. There is a lot of beautiful scenery to walk through - many woodlands and farmland and an incredible amount of wild flowers in spring time. You can lessen the effect of the industrial areas by planning to walk through them at the weekend when they are practically deserted.

I would recommend that you give the soles of your feet some good protection against the cobble stones you will enciunter. And if you find the length of some stages a bit daunting, look in the resources section of this forum where you will find a document listing various ways to break up the longer distances.

I thoroughly enjoyed this camino last year. Give yourself an extra day or two in Lisbon if you can - it is a beautiful city, and as @MichaelSG says, there are some really interesting places to discover along the way.

I also blogged about my experience, posting every day live from the camino. If you would like to take a look, see the link below.
Bom caminho
Thanks, Magwood. I'll read your blog if only to find out how to protect my feet from the cobble stones. My feet resembled hamburger after finishing the Camino Frances.

Thanks.
My wife and I chose to spend most of our nights in pensions / B&Bs / casa rurals / cheap hotels where the usual cost was about 40€ per night. In one or two places we stopped, we had to spend as much as 70€ but we could have planned to avoid those places if needed. Porto definitely needs planning or advance reservations. You would faint if you heard what we paid there. The albergues where we stayed had a normal cost of 10€ per bed so we usually paid double for the luxury of a private room and bath. Albergues are not always an option south of Porto but frequent to the north.

Thanks.

Hi Annie,

I just stumbled across this thread and thought I might be able to help with the costs from my experience in June 2014. I stayed in albergues/hostels wherever possible and my total for accommodation was about 230 Euros (including donativos):

Vilafranca de Xira: Pensao Ribatejana (€10 for a 4 bed dorm)
Azambuja: Flor da Primavera, (€20 for a private room)
Santarem: Santarem Hostel, €15 for a female dorm
Golega: Solo Duro (€10 euros, dorm)
Tomar: Hostel Tomar 2300 (€15 in a female dorm)
Alvaiazere: Albergaria Pinheiro, €10 euros for a private room and shared shower
Rabacal: Casa de Turismo do Rabacal, €15 for a private room
Coimbra: Hotel Larbelo, €25 for a double bed
Mealhada: Albergue Hilario (€10 for a mixed dorm)
Agueda: Albergue Residencial Celeste (€10 for a dorm)
Oliveira de Azemeis: Bombeiros, €5
Grijo: Grijo Albergue (€5 for a dorm)
Porto: Yes! Porto Hostel (€19 for a dorm)
Vilarinho: Casa Laura, €10 for a dorm
Barcelos: Albergue Cidade de Barcelos, donativo
Ponte de Lima: Albergue Casa do Arnado Municipal (€5 for a dorm)
Valenca: Albergue de Sao Teotonio Municipal, €5
Mos: Albergue Casa Blanca, €8
Pontevedra: Municipal Albergue, €5
Caldas de Reis: Municipal Albergue Posada Dona Urraca, €6
Herbon: Convento de Herbon Albergue, donativo

I found Portugal to be slightly cheaper for eating out than in Spain (except in Tourist towns like Valenca), but as there aren't many albergue options between Lisbon to Porto, the accommodation for this stretch is more expensive.

I hope this helps.

Kat

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back