• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Portugese warning

Status
Not open for further replies.

luckitravel

Time of past OR future Camino
portugese Coastal may 2015
I would like to post a warning to any solo female traveler considering walking from Porto to Santiago along the coastal Portugese camino route . While walking from Vila do Conde to Esposende on May 6 th 2015 , in a very remote , isolated area , I was subject to an attempted sexual assault by a local , who had been following me by bike . He jumped out from bushes , grabbed me and dragged me into bushes and attempted to rape me . I had picked up a large stick earlier and luckily was able to fight him off . It was a totally unexpected ,violent assault . When I reported the incident in the tourist office in Esposende , the incident was totally dismissed by the agent in the tourist office , even though I asked him to report it , he refused to take a description of the guy or where the incident had occurred , leaving fellow walkers vulnerable to attack by a sexual predator . I have traveled the world and this is the first time I have ever had an experience like this .

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I would like to post a warning to any solo female traveler considering walking from Porto to Santiago along the coastal Portugese camino route . While walking from Vila do Conde to Esposende on May 6 th 2015 , in a very remote , isolated area , I was subject to an attempted sexual assault by a local , who had been following me by bike . He jumped out from bushes , grabbed me and dragged me into bushes and attempted to rape me . I had picked up a large stick earlier and luckily was able to fight him off . It was a totally unexpected ,violent assault . When I reported the incident in the tourist office in Esposende , the incident was totally dismissed by the agent in the tourist office , even though I asked him to report it , he refused to take a description of the guy or where the incident had occurred , leaving fellow walkers vulnerable to attack by a sexual predator . I have traveled the world and this is the first time I have ever had an experience like this .
i am very very sorry to hear about this -
are you 'alright' now (i.e. in a safe place? able to find a police officer to report? getting some rest and hopefully assistance?)
grateful that you were indeed able to fight the perp off and were able to provide a discription - hopefully to the police eventually.
(the behaviour of the tourist office agent is shameful. he has a supervisor - and might like to hear about this too. - if you feel so inclined. - this is NOT a way to deal with a report of that nature)
sending good thoughts and prayers to you!
C

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I agree that this incident should not go by unnoticed - perhaps report it to the police direct? As there have been some other episodes where lone women have been attacked, this is now becoming a serious issue. That said, I would still do the Camino rather than, say, a similar route here in the UK, or in many other parts of the world. There are going to be perverts like this in any area, but they do need to be reported. The next woman might not be so lucky.

When I reported the incident in the tourist office in Esposende , the incident was totally dismissed by the agent in the tourist office
I find that very disturbing. With a language barrier and the trauma of an assault, I would expect a tourist bureau to be extremely helpful in calling the authorities. It is quite damning that they were not.

I have had only minimal contact with law enforcement in Spain, but the one time I actually needed something, one of the two Guardia Civil officers spoke English. I think they can always get someone who speaks English to help with a problem. I have never dialed 112, but I am told they have operators who speak English. Using the emergency phone number may be the best choice in all circumstance. It seems likely to me that they could dispatch a car for a pickup and a report. However, there is a bureaucratic mindset. I know second hand of someone who was rather badly bitten by a dog. The 112 call summoned a car, which took the pilgrim to the hospital. After treatment, the police insisted on taking the pilgrim back to the place of the incident, and left him there!! I got the impression that it was something about not being a taxi service into town... ;)

I am sorry to read your experiences @luckytravel. I hope you are doing well by now .
we are promoting the caminho da costa very much as being a beautifull walk. Although you had different things in mind by the time this happened to you , it should have been better -as other forummembers said - to call or go to the police instead of going to a tourist info. They do not like to receive negative information, specially not about things like what happened to you.
The tourist industrie is an important source of income for the urban areas along the Portuguese coast so you can imagine they will keep this still.

To all women who want to walk the (coastal) caminho Portuguese alone-it can happen everywhere- I should advise find others who will walk the same way allready in Porto or at last in Vila do Conde. Or find your companions allready here on the forum as some do and post that you are walking then and then..there is no need to walk together but somebody around is a safer idea.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am sorry to hear about your experience. I do hope that you are okay after that despicable act.
I walked out of Porto on the 6th of May, and that would put me a day behind you from Vila do Conde. I walked with a young Korean pilgrim as I came out of the Sao Pedro de Rates church at the same time as she did on 7th May. There was a bit of apprehension in her voice as she asked to walk beside me as she was alone and could not communicate in Portuguese and Castellano. The walk was quiet as we were the only ones on the trail. The muddy track was not too bad. We parted ways in Barcelinhos as she wanted to stay at the Albergue before the bridge. I was happy to be able to accompany her for the day. There was never a minute where we felt threatened by the locals and we were fortunate and thankful.
But one person can spoil it for most of us doing the Pilgrimage unless they are put on notice or apprehended. I am with the Forum members in this thread who believe that this person should be reported. You have been brave in letting us and the person in the Turismo office know... and I am sorry to condemn that person for not caring enough to inform the Portuguese authorities. How irresponsible!
Thanks for your post.
May peace reign in your heart.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
So sorry to hear about this.
From the description, this will have happened in the north of Aguçadora or south of Apúlia.
It is a very nice area to walk on, mostly sand, walking between fields of vegetables. It can feel remote and some paths have high bush/tree hedges.

I am from the Esposende area, this is very worrying. It is horrible that we have sexual predator nearby. I am also appalled at the behavior of the person in the tourist office.

The police in Esposende is the GNR:
Phone: +351 25398911
Their new installations are located here. I hope no one needs this information.

Because the incident was a while ago (6th) and luckitravel is presumably back home (safe and sound I hope) I'm not sure what can be done.

This is an attempted rape. This is not a "flasher" who is "harmless". This did not occur between Astorga and Rabanal on the Camino Frances.
This report is upsetting and I am glad luckitravel had the courage to share the experience here. I don't think it is too late to report it to the Portugese authorities.
Hope you are well luckitravel.

Lucky travel. I just want to acknowledge your courage to speak up about the horrific incident. It feels like all of a sudden these issues are emerging. Have they been happening for a while and gone unreported or is this a new phenomenon. I usually walk alone and have covered about 6000 km of pilgrim trails by now and have rarely felt uneasy. These recent reports have begun to make me a little edgy I must admit. I am shocked at the response of the tourist office. How traumatic that must have been after what happened.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Oh, my... that is awfull!!!
You are a hero to defend yourself from that creep. I would second previous posters especially regarding in reporting it to the Police (112). After all it was attempted rape! I guess you also have some scratches (at least) when defending yourself and getting away? That's actually kind of evidence of a crime.
And last but not least you're very brave to put that in public. I bow my head to that!

I really hope Police will deal with it seriously and that you will be able to continue your Camino.

Ultreia!

I agree that the behaviour of the Portugese tourist office person is outrageous. All incidents like this need to be reported - if the Police don't know about them, they can't do anything about it and other tourists can't be warned. But the tourist office personel also need to be reminded about their responsibilities. Persevere with the numbers you've been given and make sure you include comments about the Portugese tourist office.

So sorry to hear about this.
From the description, this will have happened in the north of Aguçadora or south of Apúlia.
It is a very nice area to walk on, mostly sand, walking between fields of vegetables. It can feel remote and some paths have high bush/tree hedges.

I am from the Esposende area, this is very worrying. It is horrible that we have sexual predator nearby. I am also appalled at the behavior of the person in the tourist office.

The police in Esposende is the GNR:
Phone: +351 25398911
Their new installations are located here. I hope no one needs this information.

Because the incident was a while ago (6th) and luckitravel is presumably back home (safe and sound I hope) I'm not sure what can be done.
Thank you for the police number , I will phone them . The only reason I posted this was when my sister alerted me to the pilgrim who disappeared .

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Sorry to hear, lukitravel. I also find this quite disturbing. Was this in the nature reserve along the beach before Esposende?

To refer to this post as 'Getting to be like the tummy bug' is, I find, a rather insensitive comment Scott and in poor taste....just saying.
In a horrible and insensitive way he is right though. Why all these attacks on women in the last months? This is not what I have experienced of the Camino. I am saddened personnally and sorry for the victims.

In a horrible and insensitive way
Yes.

Harassment has always occurred. It is being reported now. There is nothing surprising about camino advocates keeping the attitude positive, but with the very dark turn that the disappearance of Denise Thiem is, victims are now coming forward to indicate how widespread the assaults on women are. It makes me a bit queasy when men minimize the attacks and are dismissive of the reports. That attitude has always been part of the problem; blame the victim or just tell them to suck it up. That is just too easy to say coming from someone who is in no danger. ;)

Your distressing encounter makes me want to curse**!#/#!#. You were very brave and thank goodness you fought this guy off. I'm glad you posted about since you are helping other women be cautious. But we women will not be stopped from seeking adventures and the benefits of walking our camino!!! Sending you all the positive thoughts and prayers I can. And a big syber hug.

Yes.

Harassment has always occurred. It is being reported now. There is nothing surprising about camino advocates keeping the attitude positive, but with the very dark turn that the disappearance of Denise Thiem is, victims are now coming forward to indicate how widespread the assaults on women are. It makes me a bit queasy when men minimize the attacks and are dismissive of the reports. That attitude has always been part of the problem; blame the victim or just tell them to suck it up. That is just too easy to say coming from someone who is in no danger. ;)
Bravo, Falcon!

Getting to be like the tummy bug.
I actually interpreted this to mean sexual harassment towards women on the Camino is starting to be as common as getting a tummy bug. A note on the seriousness of the trend.
Not that it is as serious as getting a tummy bug. A dismissal of the threat of the matter.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Luckitravel, I am sorry this happened to you. My husband and I did the same coastal route starting one day after you and it is true, there are some parts of the Camino that are isolated, especially when you walk through the woods. It is too bad we didn't cross our paths to walk together and be safer.
I really hope you are ok.
Buen Camino....

To refer to this post as 'Getting to be like the tummy bug' is, I find, a rather insensitive comment Scott and in poor taste....just saying.

I'm sorry you find it insensitive. There seems to be a bizzare number of incidents on the Camino's. I find it strange that after one missing women you were not taken seriously. This is now an international story and sweeping a complaint under the rug seems odd.

5 years on the Camino and I've never witnessed or been part of a conversation that is springing up all over the internet. Just seems all strange to me.

Last edited:
Was in Astorga early this month and have always had a camino family along the way most ladies in groups are heeding the calls to link up with fellow pilgrims since the disappearance of Denise Thiem and that would be the advice on this forum link up with fellow pilgrims report unusual activity and be safe Buen Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Very true, Falcon, well said!

5 years on the Camino and I've never witnessed or been part of a conversation that is springing up all over the internet. Just seems all strange to me.

Maybe the increased number of reports and the fact they are seen to be taken seriously by many pilgrims gives women the confidence to report these incidents without the fear of being disbelieved?

I very much doubt there is a huge increase in incidents - just an increase in reporting them.

Agreed, The_Moo.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
That's sounds like a logical explanation.

If you have been a victum why would you not directly report the crime to the authorities? I will say that if such a feckin crime as this was perpetrated towards myself there would be no one in authority that did not hear my outrage. I would not depend on a hostal worker, tourist day worker or am albergue attendant to handle my fury.

Increase in incidents, really? Spain has a sudden rash of perversion?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Maybe the increased number of reports and the fact they are seen to be taken seriously by many pilgrims gives women the confidence to report these incidents without the fear of being disbelieved?

I very much doubt there is a huge increase in incidents - just an increase in reporting them.
Just as an aside: there can be quite easily an increase in incidents. Copy-Cat crimes are not a fantasy, they do happen.

If you have been a victum why would you not directly report the crime to the authorities? I will say that if such a feckin crime as this was perpetrated towards myself there would be no one in authority that did not hear my outrage. I would not depend on a hostal worker, tourist day worker or am albergue attendant to handle my fury.

By the way this incident happened in Portugal

It is important that those incidents be reported to the police.
But also reported at the next Albergue and to the Associations.
The police has lots of things to care about, they can try to do something about it, but you walk away, time passes, other thinks keep happening, you start to be forgotten.
The people at the Albergues and the Associations will remember you and will keep talking to the authorities about it. But we have to know what happened. And how many times and where. So we can keep asking. And making noise about that. We talk portuguese or spanish. We know people around here.
Bom Caminho

Well said Falcon, as always. My wife and I have been walking various Caminos either alone or together since the year 2000. She has been "flashed" twice, while walking alone, the last incident occurring in 2007, so. I'm afraid, its nothing new. She reported the incidents to the police and one man was caught. We've also been on the Camino and heard from others about unpleasant incidents in the last fifteen years. We accept that these kinds of things occur all over the world, and Spain/the Camino are no different. It's horrible, but the only thing you can do is to immediately report any incident to the police. The response in our case was prompt and effective. Unfortunately and tragically women walking alone are sometimes exposed to this. It's frustrating and horrible, and makes me sometimes ashamed of my gender!!

Ola..... While i understand the perspective you outlined about your outrage being heard by all in authority, i just ask you to consider another experience level: that of victims too traumatized , too frightened, too 'i just want to forget about it' for it to be reported,
Even sometimes after car- crashes injured / affected parties walk away, declaring: i am fine! And don't seek out doctors care/ check up. Not realizing the true effect the incidence had.
Something similar often happens to people affected by such assaults/violations.
You probably have heard about the fact the for a veryyyy long time such incidences were minimized or trivialized by others... And often, reporting a rape/ assault to authorities ended in a second trauma...
There are various reasons not all victims trailblaze into a police station to re- tell something horrid, to perfect strangers.
Good for you that you are so undaunted to do as you say....

And as a ps/ps.... I did report a flasher incident within 10 min to spanish authorities aka police. But then again, i have a good portion of bloodymindedness and other tools.... Plus, police stations used to be my worklocation. Thus, i am not daunted by approaching coppers even after an upsetting experience, but i would not presume that this behaviour is to be expected from everyone.

Last edited:
I truly agree with Amorfati1.
Most assault victims would not like to re-live the unpleasant and traumatic incidents they've experienced straightaway and some would consider forgetting the incident or keeping quiet about it as a coping mechanism. It may take a while before the affected person gathers enough courage to come forward and complain..but that doesn't mean they are not outraged. Far from that.
I know it's easy to criticise but poor Luckitravel and others who have experienced assault in any shape or form would probably prefer not to read our posts just to lessen the impact of their ordeal after the incident.
I guess the onus is on us to stop passing judgment on assault victims.
Peace everyone.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have reported the assault to the Portugese embassy , Dublin , Ireland . they have been fantastic and have contacted the police in Vila do Conde , Esposende , the mayor of Esposende , and the office turismo de Portugal . Hopefully the perpetrator will be apprehended , creating a safer walking environment .

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have reported the assault to the Portugese embassy , Dublin , Ireland . they have been fantastic and have contacted the police in Vila do Conde , Esposende , the mayor of Esposende , and the office turismo de Portugal . Hopefully the perpetrator will be apprehended , creating a safer walking environment .

Your perseverance and demonstration of the steps one can take to address such a wretched experience is so powerful. Thank you, Marianne

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Yes.

Thank you -- I believe it is difficult for men to fully understand the vulnerability women experience as a way of life. The quote about opportunity to be brave is a grand idea, yet reality of "just disappearing" is a true consideration everywhere & everyday. I pray for enlightenment & grace.

[QUOTE="The_Moo, post: 310452, member: 30964"

I very much doubt there is a huge increase in incidents - just an increase in reporting them.[/QUOTE]
I totally agree!

Hello pilgrims...:)!
Firstly, I'd like to say SORRY to hear what happened to you Luckitravel...it must have been just awful to experience something like that...it's really sad,scary and sickening at the same time...:(...you are very brave and lucky to have managed to defend yourself and fight him off...well done for that...my hat off to you...!!! I hope it didn't turn your camino into a nightmare and you could still enjoy the rest of it.....
I am pleased I have come across your post because I am planning to walk the same route in 2 weeks time....but now I am not sure I still wanna do that anymore...this has totally put me off since I would walk alone and I know this route is not busy and can be isolated..I have walked Camino Frances twice and although there were parts I was walking completely alone I still found it very safe and luckily didn't experience one negative thing..but now I am starting to think whether I should still go ahead with my plan and maybe change it and walk different Portugese way which is more rural instead...
Is there anybody who is reading this and planning to walk coastal way starting from Porto on 16th June?
I know that many pilgrims want to walk Camino 'solo' but in this case I would prefer to walk at least those isolated parts with someone else...
I have been really looking forward to my upcoming trip but this has put a huge seed of doubt in my mind...:(
Please get in touch if you have the same thoughts and wouldn't mind having a company...
:)

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
That is the way to do it! Report, report and report any incident! Well done luckitravel

...My wife and I have been walking various Caminos either alone or together since the year 2000. She has been "flashed" twice, while walking alone, the last incident occurring in 2007, so. I'm afraid, its nothing new. She reported the incidents to the police and one man was caught. We've also been on the Camino and heard from others about unpleasant incidents in the last fifteen years.
Thanks so much Kevin for putting some sort of historical perspective to this topic!

Brava Lucki!! And hopefully the "office turismo de Portugal" will replace their insensitive employee with a kinder one!

Thanks so much Kevin for putting some sort of historical perspective to this topic!

Brava Lucki!! And hopefully the "office turismo de Portugal" will replace their insensitive employee with a kinder one!
It happened at the Esposende booth of the tourist info. You can not say the every employee of any random Portuguese tourist info should have done the same.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Albertinho, I'm sorry if my reply sounded negative, I certainly didn't intend it that way. I was referring only to the employee that luckitravel referred to in her OP - and now that I think of it, that person probably would benefit more from a bit of retraining rather than the loss of a job.

Albertinho, I'm sorry if my reply sounded negative, I certainly didn't intend it that way. I was referring only to the employee that luckitravel referred to in her OP - and now that I think of it, that person probably would benefit more from a bit of retraining rather than the loss of a job.
I hope they retrain the person indeed and learn their lessons in common.
Regards from this side of the world :)

I am so sorry to hear your terrifying experience 🥲 I was followed by a man (local but not Portuguese) on a bike in the same area you described. I had to threaten him with calling police if he didn’t leave me immediately. I posted my experience more than a week ago here. I wonder if you would recognise the man you talk about? I managed to take a photo of the guy who followed me and I wonder if is it the same guy? I wrote to the local police twice but no response..

€83,-
Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back