A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Camino Portugese waymarking/golden arrows...

monty83

Camino(s) past & future
Camino from Porto Airport
Hello All!

Am planning to walk Camino straight from Porto Airport, I should be outside Arrival terminal around 10am.... there is tunel underneath runeway but kinda tricky to get to the coast and continue north from there, defo need to print some maps from google

What I want to say is that been checking on google street maps location of those golden/yellow arrows and I think there is a lot of them "missing" and as am nervous of losing the main way, coastal and later central route will take compass with me...

Can someone reinsure me about those arrows directing to Santiago? Am thinking of walking the coastal camino to Vila do Conde and there navigate Arcos...

At the moment am kinda disappointed because google street views destroyed my confidence,....I couldn't find those arrow... wanted to do the full coastal camino (because of views) but not confident enough now...

Thank you

Tom

Advertisment

Camino(s) past & future
CF11, CF12, CP13, CF14, CA15, S.Anton15, CF15, CI15
Ditch Pig16, CF17, CP17, CdN, CM, CF18, LePuy19
I walked the coast last year from Porto and as long as you stay on the boardwalks and the paths along the beach heading north with the Atlantic Ocean on your left you are pretty much assured you are on the Camino. That being said somewhere south of Ancora and Caminha, I lost the trail on a very hot Sunday afternoon as 100's of people were flocking to the beach, and I had to thumb a ride on the N-13.
If I were you I would take the Metro from the airport to Vila do Conde to avoid the hassle of finding and walking the Camino in a semi-urban area.

stevov

Camino(s) past & future
walked the portuguese way (senda littoral). from porto, vila do conde via viana and redondela Jun 17
If you are going only as far as Vila do Conde via the coast, it's straightforward...just head for a suitable point at the coast (i got a metro to mindelo, walked thru the village to the sea and started from there...my pic below ) and its boardwalks all the way north ( sea on your left) to outskirts of Vila do Conde with arrows directing you into the town. However I wouldn't rule out the coast options because of Google maps. There are much better maps such as on Martin Flannerys currently showing on the Camino Portuguese facebook page, or Luis freixos at http://www.caminador.es. Technically you have two coastal paths...one right alongside the beaches called the Senda Litoral and the other which is the slightly more inland and is called the Coastal Camino. They do intersect at various points and both Martin's and Luis's maps show this clearly, as does the Brierley Guide, but not at such a detailed scale. I did this Camino mainly on the senda and there a a few bits that are tricky usually where the path puts you down on beach and at other times I found i randomly picked up arrows that took me to the inland coastal. It wasn't a problem in fact it provided lovely variety...i particularly recommend taking the senda to Esposende but then following the inland coastal from Marinhas to Viana do Costelo...its beautiful.

Attachments

musicman

Ensuitepilgrim
Camino(s) past & future
2004, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016,2017,2018
Simply take the Metro to Matasinhos Mercado - walk over the bridge .
Arrows take you to the promenade.
Walk North, sea on your left!
Bom Caminho

Camino(s) past & future
Portugués, Francés, Le Puy, Rota Vicentina, De Soulac, Norte, Madrid-Salv-Primitivo

Advertisment

monty83

Camino(s) past & future
Camino from Porto Airport
Hello and thank you for reply and help!

stevov,

this link and maps there are fantastic, really helpful already printed different 5 sets of maps, don't want to stay far from official guided walks with arrow because want to meet other pilgrims, and those maps will defo help me, thank you my friend!

Jill,

Thank you very much, just read thread you suggested, really helpful, 90% of my subconscious is telling my conscious to walk from porto airport, so I think I will haha, great stuff, really looking forward to mine camino hopefully in may this year.

biarritzdon, musicman

thank you for your help!

Walking Lover

Camino(s) past & future
CdS from Leon to Santiago, June 16, 2016 to June 30, 2016.
I recommend a taxi to your starting point. From Porto, arrows are clearly marked.
Hello All!

Am planning to walk Camino straight from Porto Airport, I should be outside Arrival terminal around 10am.... there is tunel underneath runeway but kinda tricky to get to the coast and continue north from there, defo need to print some maps from google

What I want to say is that been checking on google street maps location of those golden/yellow arrows and I think there is a lot of them "missing" and as am nervous of losing the main way, coastal and later central route will take compass with me...

Can someone reinsure me about those arrows directing to Santiago? Am thinking of walking the coastal camino to Vila do Conde and there navigate Arcos...

At the moment am kinda disappointed because google street views destroyed my confidence,....I couldn't find those arrow... wanted to do the full coastal camino (because of views) but not confident enough now...

Thank you

Tom

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Pilgrims here right now

Advertisement

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 8 1.1%
  • February

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 32 4.6%
  • April

Votes: 106 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 172 24.6%