• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Portugese waymarking/golden arrows...

monty83

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino from Porto Airport
Hello All!

Am planning to walk Camino straight from Porto Airport, I should be outside Arrival terminal around 10am.... there is tunel underneath runeway but kinda tricky to get to the coast and continue north from there, defo need to print some maps from google

What I want to say is that been checking on google street maps location of those golden/yellow arrows and I think there is a lot of them "missing" and as am nervous of losing the main way, coastal and later central route will take compass with me...

Can someone reinsure me about those arrows directing to Santiago? Am thinking of walking the coastal camino to Vila do Conde and there navigate Arcos...

At the moment am kinda disappointed because google street views destroyed my confidence,....I couldn't find those arrow... wanted to do the full coastal camino (because of views) but not confident enough now...

Thank you

Tom

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I walked the coast last year from Porto and as long as you stay on the boardwalks and the paths along the beach heading north with the Atlantic Ocean on your left you are pretty much assured you are on the Camino. That being said somewhere south of Ancora and Caminha, I lost the trail on a very hot Sunday afternoon as 100's of people were flocking to the beach, and I had to thumb a ride on the N-13.
If I were you I would take the Metro from the airport to Vila do Conde to avoid the hassle of finding and walking the Camino in a semi-urban area.

If you are going only as far as Vila do Conde via the coast, it's straightforward...just head for a suitable point at the coast (i got a metro to mindelo, walked thru the village to the sea and started from there...my pic below ) and its boardwalks all the way north ( sea on your left) to outskirts of Vila do Conde with arrows directing you into the town. However I wouldn't rule out the coast options because of Google maps. There are much better maps such as on Martin Flannerys currently showing on the Camino Portuguese facebook page, or Luis freixos at http://www.caminador.es. Technically you have two coastal paths...one right alongside the beaches called the Senda Litoral and the other which is the slightly more inland and is called the Coastal Camino. They do intersect at various points and both Martin's and Luis's maps show this clearly, as does the Brierley Guide, but not at such a detailed scale. I did this Camino mainly on the senda and there a a few bits that are tricky usually where the path puts you down on beach and at other times I found i randomly picked up arrows that took me to the inland coastal. It wasn't a problem in fact it provided lovely variety...i particularly recommend taking the senda to Esposende but then following the inland coastal from Marinhas to Viana do Costelo...its beautiful.

Attachments

• WP_20170608_048.jpg
    WP_20170608_048.jpg
    401.4 KB · Views: 22
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Simply take the Metro to Matasinhos Mercado - walk over the bridge .
Arrows take you to the promenade.
Walk North, sea on your left!
Bom Caminho

Hello and thank you for reply and help!

stevov,

this link and maps there are fantastic, really helpful already printed different 5 sets of maps, don't want to stay far from official guided walks with arrow because want to meet other pilgrims, and those maps will defo help me, thank you my friend!

Jill,

Thank you very much, just read thread you suggested, really helpful, 90% of my subconscious is telling my conscious to walk from porto airport, so I think I will haha, great stuff, really looking forward to mine camino hopefully in may this year.

biarritzdon, musicman

thank you for your help!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I recommend a taxi to your starting point. From Porto, arrows are clearly marked.
Hello All!

Am planning to walk Camino straight from Porto Airport, I should be outside Arrival terminal around 10am.... there is tunel underneath runeway but kinda tricky to get to the coast and continue north from there, defo need to print some maps from google

What I want to say is that been checking on google street maps location of those golden/yellow arrows and I think there is a lot of them "missing" and as am nervous of losing the main way, coastal and later central route will take compass with me...

Can someone reinsure me about those arrows directing to Santiago? Am thinking of walking the coastal camino to Vila do Conde and there navigate Arcos...

At the moment am kinda disappointed because google street views destroyed my confidence,....I couldn't find those arrow... wanted to do the full coastal camino (because of views) but not confident enough now...

Thank you

Tom

Yesterday in Porto I did a test walk from my hotel in the centre to try and confirm the route out of the city. The only yellow arrow I saw was up high on the Peregrino Hostel. The fact that all the streets have yellow lines painted on the roads near the curb to indicate No Parking or other such message may have made miss other signs?
As another commentator suggested - if you keep heading north you cant get into too much trouble? I am departing the comfort of my B&B hotel in an hour with my compass primed. Enjoy your walks.

The attached is from the trail map route planner in Plotaroute.com. You can see that there is a Camino route from virtually outside the airport which converges with the coastal just south of Via do Conde. Google street view from June 2020 shows some waymarking of this route with yellow arrows but I don't know how frequent they are. If you just want to get direct to the coast then you already have instructions in the above posts.

CaminoPortugues.PNG

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back