• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Portugués - Coastal Route

Time of past OR future Camino
CDN, Primitivo, Sanabrés, Portugués, Ruta do Mar,
Well, months have gone by since I posted last and during this time my friends and I have committed to walking the Camino Portugués from Porto to Santiago de Compostela. We will be in Porto on the 14th of March and plan to begin our Camino on the 16th.

Because weather can be a major factor on our chosen Coastal route, we have decided to be open minded and flexible knowing that we might have to move inland to the Camino Central if necessary. Our itinerary has us arriving to Santiago de Compostela on the 27th and staying there for 3 nights before returning to Porto for another 3 nights so we have time to explore the beautiful city.

I have made reservations along the way because I am not sure which albergues will be open at that time, plus there is something about having your own bathroom and not having to walk across a dorm in the middle of the night once or twice;) Another plus is that we'll have an apartment in a few places, so having a kitchen and a clothes washer are going to be a wonderful commodity at a very reasonable price when we split the cost 5 ways!

There are so many doubts that I have in my mind, not because of lack of experience, but because of age! Double knee replacement surgery and foot surgery in the past few months have me wondering if I still have it in me to walk the distances and enjoy the journey. I am afraid of disappointing my friends because I know that it is because of me that they have wanted to experience the Camino more than once, but now I'm just not so sure how I'm going to perform! Oh, well I better stop feeling sorry for myself, right? Time will tell, and of course, attitude and determination can help overcome many fears.

If anybody has done the Camino Portugués in March, any insight you have as far as the albergues along the coastal route and perhaps advice on the weather (I know it's unpredictable), and also your very favorite towns, and foods that you wouldn't miss for anything in the world if you had to do it again. I will be forever grateful.

Ultreïa, my friends!

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Viano de Castelo is lovely. Oia in Spain. Vigo is graft in and out,but a great city.
Padron is worth a day.
If you have time - Variante Spiritual outside of Pontevedra,another great place.
The coast has the most! Bom Caminho.

The route especially if you follow the shoreline /coast route is relatively flat and there is alot of walking along boardwalks. The weather can be unpredictable. I walked it in March last year and after leaving Porto it rained heavily every day ! I had waterproofs so I didn't mind as it's a beautiful route. Some of hotels didn't have any heating. Most Albergues will be open by Easter time. Portuguese food is cheap so try a menu. Galician food has more variety so try the fish and shellfish and local wines. I would stay an extra day in Baiona to relax before the slog into Vigo.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Viano de Castelo is lovely. Oia in Spain. Vigo is graft in and out,but a great city.
Padron is worth a day.
If you have time - Variante Spiritual outside of Pontevedra,another great place.
The coast has the most! Bom Caminho.

Thank you, I appreciate your suggestions! I am looking forward to this Camino and hope to get the most out of it!!

The route especially if you follow the shoreline /coast route is relatively flat and there is alot of walking along boardwalks. The weather can be unpredictable. I walked it in March last year and after leaving Porto it rained heavily every day ! I had waterproofs so I didn't mind as it's a beautiful route. Some of hotels didn't have any heating. Most Albergues will be open by Easter time. Portuguese food is cheap so try a menu. Galician food has more variety so try the fish and shellfish and local wines. I would stay an extra day in Baiona to relax before the slog into Vigo.

I appreciate the details of your experience, and yes, I thought as much about the possibility of rainy weather! So, I'll be prepared and ready to enjoy the walk, the food, the people and the culture along the way:) I will make note of your suggestions, thank you so much!

Well, months have gone by since I posted last and during this time my friends and I have committed to walking the Camino Portugués from Porto to Santiago de Compostela. We will be in Porto on the 14th of March and plan to begin our Camino on the 16th.

Because weather can be a major factor on our chosen Coastal route, we have decided to be open minded and flexible knowing that we might have to move inland to the Camino Central if necessary. Our itinerary has us arriving to Santiago de Compostela on the 27th and staying there for 3 nights before returning to Porto for another 3 nights so we have time to explore the beautiful city.

I have made reservations along the way because I am not sure which albergues will be open at that time, plus there is something about having your own bathroom and not having to walk across a dorm in the middle of the night once or twice;) Another plus is that we'll have an apartment in a few places, so having a kitchen and a clothes washer are going to be a wonderful commodity at a very reasonable price when we split the cost 5 ways!

There are so many doubts that I have in my mind, not because of lack of experience, but because of age! Double knee replacement surgery and foot surgery in the past few months have me wondering if I still have it in me to walk the distances and enjoy the journey. I am afraid of disappointing my friends because I know that it is because of me that they have wanted to experience the Camino more than once, but now I'm just not so sure how I'm going to perform! Oh, well I better stop feeling sorry for myself, right? Time will tell, and of course, attitude and determination can help overcome many fears.

If anybody has done the Camino Portugués in March, any insight you have as far as the albergues along the coastal route and perhaps advice on the weather (I know it's unpredictable), and also your very favorite towns, and foods that you wouldn't miss for anything in the world if you had to do it again. I will be forever grateful.

Ultreïa, my friends!
My husband and I are beginning our first Camino in Porto also in March, starting the 17th, so just a day after you. We don't need to get to Santiago until March 31st. I think that you only need to remain flexible. Don't be hard on yourself due to possible limitations. Remember, there are buses and taxis available in the event you have trouble. You could, if need be, ride ahead and meet back up with your friends when they arrive. I have been hit with an auto immune thing that has played havoc with me the last few months as it causes lots of muscle pain and stiffness. We had already planned the walk and have decided to go ahead and do it but not worry about a compostella. I will walk most of it but I won't kill myself. If we have to lay over a day somewhere to rest, we will. If we are far enough behind that we can't finish by walking, we will hop a bus. This way, we can enjoy the walk without placing too high of expectations on me! We don't see it as a race...it's a walk to be enjoyed. Stop and rest whenever you feel the need. Good luck!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks Loumura I appreciate your sound advice, it makes perfect sense:) You are right, the most important thing is to gauge myself because only I will know how I feel! I do know for a fact that I want to enjoy my walk and not be in pain wishing my journey away because I want to stop hurting!

My past Camino experiences have been inspiring journeys; on this occasion my hesitation just stems from having had recent knee and foot surgery, but yes, loving every step of the way is what I want, so I will remember your words of wisdom along my camino! Who knows? We might cross paths:)

I wish you well on your Caminho Portugués and hope that you enjoy every moment of it with your husband!! Thank you so much for your positive vibes!!

Ultreïa!

Mary

We did it in March 2016 and had all sorts of weather (except storms) - it rained nastily the last few days before Santiago in April, but my best weather-advice is to wear many layers and have a good rain set with you!

Regarding accomodation we used the list from https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...df-route-portugues-route-monacal-coastal.404/ and did not have any issues finding places to sleep. We preferred to stay in hostals, bed and breakfasts and so on in order to have our own room and for two persons we didn't find that particularly much more expensive than the albergues we also slept in from time to time.

As for food?! Fish! Lots of fish! Sardinhas ws my favourite :)

Enjoy the tour - bom caminho!

Dear cj2003 thank you so much for your insightful information. My journey is only 3 weeks away and I have made sure that my raingear is packed!!

Absolutely love your advice for seafood!! I am so sure that it's going to be as exceptional a gastronomical experience as it was on Camino del Norte - twice!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! My partner and I are preparing to do around 7 days of the Camino Portuguese route, starting at the end of April. We're flying to Porto from Edinburgh, and looking at the best route to...
Will be walking the CP in Aug/Sep with planning clearly focused to staying (for the most part) on the Litoral. However, (using Brierley's Guide) the stage from A Ramallosa to Vigo sets up quite a...
Doing research for my upcoming Camino, I want to connect from coastal to central in Caminha. According to JB the ecopista is pleasant along the river, but I notice Stingy Nomads recommend the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back