• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino portugués

Mady Roosen

Time of past OR future Camino
Mozárabe. Vía de la plata. Sanabres portugués
Anybody Who Walked the camino portugués from Vigo to Porto (opposite direction)???? Costal route
Thanks for sharing your experiencia.
Mady

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Anybody Who Walked the camino portugués from Vigo to Porto (opposite direction)???? Costal route
Thanks for sharing your experiencia.
Mady

In 08 whilst home - exchanging in Caminha after our Camino Frances we came across maybe 6---8 people who were undertaking the walk from Vigo going south.
The majority went via San Perdo/Oia/A'Guarda on the Spanish coastal path and got the boat to Caminha .
I believe after conversations with these young pilgrims from many nations this would be the recommended way .
They loved it , the scenery and solitude and in 08 Mady there were not that many pilgrims .
The path ...... seek advice from the Tourist offices and keep the ocean on your right;)
The people are wonderful and kind , the accommodation good and not expensive.
You will love the albergue in Caminha
To enjoy a good , cold Sangres ""free "" don't touch "one" piece of bread or any part of a roll when you sit down for a meal ........they are the same price.
Enjoy this wonderful way and if there weather is kind enjoy the great coves and beaches.

It is probably somewhat early to start preparing for my camino 2019 - camino ingles to Santiago and then Santiago to O Porto walking "counterflow". But since you are asking this question, I am also interested. When walking the "normal" direction on the camino portugues I noticed blue markings. Do they mark the opposite direction? And are there many???

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
In 08 whilst home - exchanging in Caminha after our Camino Frances we came across maybe 6---8 people who were undertaking the walk from Vigo going south.
The majority went via San Perdo/Oia/A'Guarda on the Spanish coastal path and got the boat to Caminha .
I believe after conversations with these young pilgrims from many nations this would be the recommended way .
They loved it , the scenery and solitude and in 08 Mady there were not that many pilgrims .
The path ...... seek advice from the Tourist offices and keep the ocean on your right;)
To enjoy a good , cold Sangres ""free "" don't touch "one" piece of bread or any part of a roll when you sit down for a meal ........they are the same price.
Enjoy this wonderful way and if there weather is kind enjoy the great coves and beaches.

hello Thornley,

thanks a lot for your reply but is the camino in the opposite direction also waymarked. and if so do you know in which color?
thanks
mady

Hello Mady! I had a direct answer from Miroslow to the question I posted above. Just in case anybody may find this interesting I repeat his answer here (he gave me permission):

"It is a challenge to walk against the arrows. Person knows there they point but it is not easy to figure out from where they might be pointing.
Blue arrows to to Fatima and leave yellow in Tomar I believe, but they are not fool proof.
Walking the Caminho few times I made a map which might work well for your walk. It is at caminhomap.com"

Voila!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
hello Thornley,

thanks a lot for your reply but is the camino in the opposite direction also waymarked. and if so do you know in which color?
thanks
mady

We never saw any whilst in Caminha when we walked south for 10km to a certain restaurant we loved. But the kids we met never doing your way never mentioned any difficulty which does exist on other ways as we found out walking back from Muxia.

Hello Mady! I had a direct answer from Miroslow to the question I posted above. Just in case anybody may find this interesting I repeat his answer here (he gave me permission):

"It is a challenge to walk against the arrows. Person knows there they point but it is not easy to figure out from where they might be pointing.
Blue arrows to to Fatima and leave yellow in Tomar I believe, but they are not fool proof.
Walking the Caminho few times I made a map which might work well for your walk. It is at caminhomap.com"

Voila!
Just slight clarification, blue arrows point the same direction as yellow from Lisbon to Santarem. They part in Santarem, but not every yellow arrow has corresponding blue arrow.
Please note that walking to Fatima from north or south is not a challenge because how arrows are oriented but rather because not all yellow arrows or signs have corresponding blue arrows or signs.
But even that is not a big issue northbound, simply follow yellow arrows until Santarem where blue leaves yellow as they point same direction up to Santarem.
Southbound there is some challenge of back arrow walking toward Fatima since not all yellow arrows have corresponding opposite pointing blue arrows. I do not exactly recall where arrows would part for one walking from the north. It might be in Ansiao or in Tomar, or somehow both. ( There is something to ad to my map. Anybody remembers?)
So a person will need to interpret where the yellow is coming from and in such case attempt to back read yellow until next yellow and blue double and opposite pointing arrow marker appears.
Some imagination is required in reading the arrows in general but that is usually quickly acquired by all pilgrims.

But please do not take me wrongly, there are sufficient in my opinion double arrowed signs while walking southbound.
Challenge would be only occasional, but nerveless it is worth mentioning.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
In any case one can use caminhomap.com to download, as much as possible errors free as of spring 2017, map of Caminho Portugues.
It should work really well as a backup to arrow reading.
Updates or corrections to this map anyone?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If you're walking the Portuguese camino backwards, does that make it a new one? The Camino Eseugutrop?
If this caminho “ Eseugutrop “ is going to exist my dear friend , we are going to walk it together ?
we start drinking a beer and a Portwine in the Grandcafé in Santiago and then off we’ll go o.k.?
best regards from the other side of the North Sea
Albertinho and Nel

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back