• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Português from Tavira

Margaret Butterworth

Time of past OR future Camino
2013 (Pamplona to Burgos)
2014 (Burgos to Villafranca del Bierzo)
2015 (Villafranca to Santiago)
2016 (Le Puy to Conques; SJPP To Pamplona)
I am currently visiting Tavira in SE Portugal I’ve discovered a Santiago Church here which is the starting point of a longer Camino through Portugal. There are even some yellow arrows!
25CE9F23-68A3-45FB-81DF-037A96B951C0.jpeg25CE9F23-68A3-45FB-81DF-037A96B951C0.jpeg
CD49AACD-F376-484E-829A-268C51F5E077.jpeg

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thank you so much for this, Margaret; I am hoping to do it in 2020. I have done the Via de la Plata from Seville (with a section through the Minho) in 2017, most of the Sureste from Alicante in 2019 and want to do a long walk from the South of Portugal to SdC to improve my very bad Portuguese.

I’m not sure how much infrastructure there is for the route. I just saw the information in the window of a house opposite the Church. I am just here as a tourist enjoying the lovely weather!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Ah, this must be the route for which we saw the Caminho signs last fall in Vale de Peso, partway between Crato and Nisa. The area is beautiful, but very empty--rolling plains--between the small towns. The N245 and N18 that they list as the route are fairly quiet side roads. Remember that anything over the size of a farm track in Portugal tends to get a "highway" designation.

This part of the Alentejo was the northern edge of Julius Caesar's Iberian wheatfields! Beautiful country. We have driven this area in the spring, and the hills are covered with yellow lupins.

We were there just about exactly a year ago (last October), and the weather was still shorts and shirtsleeves. The locals are welcoming. The local governments have just woken up to the potential of some tourist revenue from the Caminho, so there are plenty of local initiatives to improve the route!

Flor de Rosa, on the north outskirts of Crato going out of town, has a beautifully restored old castle, partly museum and partly high-class posada https://portugalvirtual.pt/pousadas/crato/index.html. Worth seeing!

Caminho route n from Tavira.jpg

Last edited:
I saw the same thing, but I think you are right to assume that the infrastructure and the markings are just not ready for prime time.

I think that it would be doable with a GPS, but I imagine most of the way would be alongside country roads. I could be wrong about that, but I haven’t seen any indication that there has been an effort to mark an off-road trail.

My wife and I actually walked a little stretch of this last year. We were staying in Tavira in late Sept./early October after doing the Portuguese Coastal and visited this church that Margaret mentions. There, we learned to our great surprise, that you could actually do a Camino from the Algarve all the way up to Santiago. So, just for fun, we did part of the walk in the direction of the Spanish border: Tavira-Cabanas-Praia de Cacela Velha-Vila Nova de Cacela. We found this to be a very scenic walk through countryside and along seashore. Praia de Cacela Velha is particularly pretty. We didn't go past Vila Nova de Cacela because we ascertained that the stretch from there to Vila Real de Santo Antonio mostly involved walking along the N125 highway. Not our cup of tea. So we took the train back to Tavira from Vila Nova de Cacela. But it was a fun way to explore part of the Tavira region on foot.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
When I was in Tavira 2 years ago, I noticed the same sign and sent an email. Ended up meeting with the fellow who was was organizing a walk of the first stage a few days later which I eagerly agreed to come along for. He sold a credential which got stamped in a few places on that day. The route is in the initial stages, accommodation is quite sparse in places. He was very knowledgeable about local history, culture and plant life. I mentioned this forum, for some reason he said he wanted nothing to do with it. 🤔

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back