• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Portugues: 2nd week of April 2009

gyro

Time of past OR future Camino
Caminos: Frances, Ingles, Portugues, de Norte
Via(s): de la Plata, Mozarabe
Dear all,
Christmas Eve, an entire day of festive activities, last minute shopping and preparing for the big day tomorrow.
So now I am enjoying a few minutes of contemplation on another topic: the CP in April 2009. The plane tickets are bought, the first night in Porto booked and the CSJ pilgrim record arrived two days ago. All I have to do now is walk as much as I can in preparation for the wander across the coastal plains of Galicia.

Laura -see a related message on this site - is starting off a few days ahead of me, but I hope to get moving on April 7th. Anyone else going to be en camino at that time?

Greetings from a chilly Scotland,
Gyro

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I´ll be hospitalera in Miraz just then, so if your journey takes your northward, make sure to stop in for a cuppa... or maybe a chupito?

Reb.

Doing the walk starting the 7th of April. Woundering if we need to book accomadation in portigal, if so can you recormend any cheap accomadation.
thanks,
Griffo

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Gyro and Griffo...welcome!

Gosh, not to long now before you begin your Camino along the Way.

Please take a look at the Class of 2009, FAQ and other topics of interest. We of the Forum are one in our desire to make the pilgrimage to Santiago...regardless of the length we travel or the Camino we tread a memorable and fulfilling journey.

Believe in yourself, believe in what you do...believe that the Way will both test and comfort you.

Buen Camino

Arn

GRIFFO said:
Doing the walk starting the 7th of April. Woundering if we need to book accomadation in portigal, if so can you recormend any cheap accomadation.
thanks,
Griffo
Dear Griffo,
Nice to hear from you and look forward to seeing you on the camino.
Look out for a lumbering Scots pilgrim, accompanied by a tall, fast, young German.
Gyro

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
JohnnieWalker said:
Griffo - the route is very well waymarked and from Porto there are albergues and reasonably priced accommodation along the way. Check out the CSJ Guide:

http://www.csj.org.uk/guides-online.htm

Griffo,
I can thoroughly recommend the on-line guide. John very kindly sent me an advance copy and it has been invaluable in my planning.
Many thanks again John!
Gyro

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks Guy's for getting back to us, we will check out the CSJ site sounds good.
We did the Camino Finisterre last year (08) in May and it was very bussy and accomadation was difficult to come buy. Can anyone give me an insite as to how bussy the camino Portugues can be, as the accomadaton on the Portugal side of the border does not appear plentyfull or cheap, espicially now the Euro is not on our side. Do you recormend booking in advance or just go with the flow?

I did the CP in late May last year when the CF was extremely busy. There were relatively few pilgrims and no problems with accommodations.

Thanks all, feeling more confident now about accomadation, I think we will just go with the flow and see what happens. It makes the trip all more adventurous.

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to get a credential before we arrive in Porto? It's just that we arrive on a sunday and I am under the impression that the office is closed. We are aiming to leave early on the Monday before the office opens.
When we did the camino Finisterre we used a pilgrim passport that was printed in the back of our guide book. It was accepted in Fisterre, but we didn't stay in any albergue's and wondered if they will accept a unofficial record, even if it has all the sello's.
Any insite on this would be great, Thanks GRIFFO

Gyro, I will keep a look out for you, I will be the Tramp with 3 lovely ladies in tow, I also have a forum badge attached to my back pack, just incase you don't agree with the lovely lady statement!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Griffo - make a donation to the CSJ and download their free guide. You may be surprised at the accommodation available in Portugal.

In terms of the credencial - either get one in advance. See this post from Sil:

sillydoll said:
John, if you want to order one, you can get it from Mundicamino.
http://www.mundicamino.com
Click on La Credencial and send them an email. They will send an application form to you to complete. You will have to send them postage. I sent three 10 euro notes, folded in dark paper, in an envelope. It arrived safely and they posted the credencials to me.

You don't really have to order one though, you can get one at most albergues, cathedrals etc.

Or when you arrive in Porto go straight to the Cathedral to get a credencial and sello - they are NOT available from tourist offices.

Or as you say simply pick one up at the first albergue you stop at.

I hope this helps.

John

We will be cycling the Camino Portugues starting from sintra on the 6th april - so we should catch you up at some point!! look out for a couple in their 40s bickering wildly on bicycles - one with a little trailer!! buen camino! jo

hecate105 said:
We will be cycling the Camino Portugues starting from sintra on the 6th april - so we should catch you up at some point!! look out for a couple in their 40s bickering wildly on bicycles - one with a little trailer!! buen camino! jo

Dear Jo/Hecate,
How kind of you to post this note. Yes, I fly out next Sunday, have decided to spend a day in Porto on Monday and then will hit the road on Tuesday 7th. I will be walking the central route.

Started to make a pile of clothes, notes, walking poles etc in the dining room. With the rucksack on top. In the next week, I have to get all of these packed and organised. Right now, I feel the same quiet sense of dread as I did with the Camino Frances in 98 and the Via de la Plata in 2005. I guess I suppose this is part of the rhythm of a pilgrimage.
It will feel better when I put my pack on my back, take a deep breath and start walking.

Best wishes to you (both) and I hope that our paths do cross.

God Bless

Alex

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back