• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Portugues after "my hardest Camino"

Time of past OR future Camino
June/July 2015 (CF, 100 miles), June/July 2018 (CP, ~40 miles, too hot!)
Hi everyone!

I'm back! Last January, I had ankle surgery, which went amazingly well. My podiatrist fixed my peroneal tendon in my ankle, torn 30 years ago in childhood, that never bothered me until 2015 when I hiked 100 miles of the Camino Frances. Gigantic bone spur removed, tendon back in place, stitched up, healed. My steps are back! I'm regularly clocking 10k days, which feels pretty good.

After the respite of the Camino in 2015, my now-late husband was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and died August 5, 2016. (Before that, he had gone into the ER four times in one year, the last time for two months for Fournier's gangrene.) Getting his estate in order was relatively easy, thank goodness. I posted some about it, on "my hardest Camino".

It was just us, no kids, and even with the complication of his leaving us a few years in debt to the IRS. He had gotten so ill that he just couldn't walk upstairs to get on his computer and deal with taxes. And his illness, plus the subsequent many surgeries, messed with his executive functioning abilities. But now that that's all completed and dealt with, that means that I can now walk another Camino.

I'll be breaking in new boots (Hoka One Ones) over the coming months. I read on another thread that Hoka One Ones are super springy and have a very thick sole, which would seem to help on asphalt/cobblestone walking. I'll be wearing my ankle brace, as recommended by my podiatrist (who okayed me for hiking about four months after the operation! He said most people aren't as healed as I was by eight or nine months. I was thrilled. And I'm going to keep on with my mostly whole-food, plant-based diet.)

As a type 2 diabetic, I'm now super aware after my first Camino that I'm more likely to over-heat, so I know now to wake up early, walk big miles early on, slow down as it gets hotter, and be done by 1 or 2 at the latest. I'll bring salt caps and magnesium supplements too, and this time wear a cooling/wicking shirt.

And this time I'll bring with me a take-down walking stick, which I hope is allowed through customs/on baggage, since all I'll be bringing is my backpack. I'd also like to experiment on this Camino with taking a LONG siesta, and trying to walk a few more miles in late afternoon after it cools off. But I have a month and a half to walk. I figure I'll need it, since I'll be 50 and am still overweight, so a slow stroller on the Camino.

I'm happy to be back here, and happy to have something to look forward to. Another Camino adventure! More time to reflect, to be spiritual, to enjoy the process and the journey. Thank you all for having me here.

Bom Caminho!

Katie

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you Miss Katie for the update. I hope to see you somewhere in Camino Portugues (I don't have any dates yet, but if there is a 2018 camino for me it will be Portugues). Good luck, y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'll be there from May 19 to June 4th so maybe we'll cross paths!

Hi CaminoKate,
Reading your story was very touching and your positive outlook after all you have been going through is such an encouragement to hear. It sounds like you are doing all the right things to prepare for your upcoming Camino adventure. Yes, it's something to look forward to and a big reason so many of us keep going back to walk again!

You might rethink bringing your collapsible walking stick unless you don't mind sending it below. I've taken poles on three different occassions and only got them on the plane with me and my backpack once. Check your airline carrier's rules closely. Most likely you will have to send the poles below. Or leave it at home and purchase one when you arrive.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Best of luck. And as another type 2 diabetic who walked the Camino from St. Jean, I'm assuming your also bringing something to keep your sugar up if you need it. I found that on some of the more egregious hills (maybe the Portuguese doesn't have them), I found that I had some sugar downs. But you probably already know that. Just thought I would mention for others. I'm also walking the Portuguese (and Coastal) this year (in Aug-Sept).

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi everyone!

I'm back! Last January, I had ankle surgery, which went amazingly well. My podiatrist fixed my peroneal tendon in my ankle, torn 30 years ago in childhood, that never bothered me until 2015 when I hiked 100 miles of the Camino Frances. Gigantic bone spur removed, tendon back in place, stitched up, healed. My steps are back! I'm regularly clocking 10k days, which feels pretty good.

After the respite of the Camino in 2015, my now-late husband was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and died August 5, 2016. (Before that, he had gone into the ER four times in one year, the last time for two months for Fournier's gangrene.) Getting his estate in order was relatively easy, thank goodness. I posted some about it, on "my hardest Camino".

It was just us, no kids, and even with the complication of his leaving us a few years in debt to the IRS. He had gotten so ill that he just couldn't walk upstairs to get on his computer and deal with taxes. And his illness, plus the subsequent many surgeries, messed with his executive functioning abilities. But now that that's all completed and dealt with, that means that I can now walk another Camino.

I'll be breaking in new boots (Hoka One Ones) over the coming months. I read on another thread that Hoka One Ones are super springy and have a very thick sole, which would seem to help on asphalt/cobblestone walking. I'll be wearing my ankle brace, as recommended by my podiatrist (who okayed me for hiking about four months after the operation! He said most people aren't as healed as I was by eight or nine months. I was thrilled. And I'm going to keep on with my mostly whole-food, plant-based diet.)

As a type 2 diabetic, I'm now super aware after my first Camino that I'm more likely to over-heat, so I know now to wake up early, walk big miles early on, slow down as it gets hotter, and be done by 1 or 2 at the latest. I'll bring salt caps and magnesium supplements too, and this time wear a cooling/wicking shirt.

And this time I'll bring with me a take-down walking stick, which I hope is allowed through customs/on baggage, since all I'll be bringing is my backpack. I'd also like to experiment on this Camino with taking a LONG siesta, and trying to walk a few more miles in late afternoon after it cools off. But I have a month and a half to walk. I figure I'll need it, since I'll be 50 and am still overweight, so a slow stroller on the Camino.

I'm happy to be back here, and happy to have something to look forward to. Another Camino adventure! More time to reflect, to be spiritual, to enjoy the process and the journey. Thank you all for having me here.

Bom Caminho!

Katie
Congratulations on accomplishing and surviving all that you have and feeling motivated and excited about doing another Camino. I have a practical suggestion for you if you anticipate dealing with the heat--that you bring a hiker's (lightweight) umbrella. It can make several degrees difference to your very local environment and provide added comfort and protection from the sun.

Great comment, @backpack45 - I just got a hiking umbrella for Christmas and can't wait to try it out to see what a difference it makes. A couple of degrees and keeping the sun off of my head should make a big difference!

@CaminoKate0214 How wonderful you are healing so well after surgery! Thank you for sharing your story with us - it's heartening to see how others manage so well through adversity. It's inspiring!! I guess that's what the Camino teaches us, how to keep walking through the beautiful moments and the tough ones. Buen camino to you!!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
YES to a hiking umbrella! That might make it possible for me to keep going in the afternoon. I noticed that I could clock big miles early on when it was cool and damp, but as the heat crept up, I would get slower and slower. A cap, a wicking shirt, wicking pants, plus an umbrella seem perfect. Thank you.

?
Hi everyone!

Bom Caminho!

Katie
Where can I read your hardest camino? Good luck and Buen Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I used to always hike in Hoka Ones. I loved them; soft with a real sticky grip. However, on the Camino, my foot actually became too wide for a VERY broken in pair and I actually threw them away. So, my advice is to buy them plenty big to allow for the swelling-at least a full size too big. if they seem too big, put one of those inexpensive foam perforated footbeds in (Like Dr Scholls). As your feet swell, you can take the footbed out and make more room for your foot. I wear Keen's now, because they come so wide. But I did love those Hokas!!

Hi everyone!

Bom Caminho!

Katie
Good luck Katie, hope you have a wonderful time. I have carried poles in my backpack from Australia through the USA but when leaving Spain to come home they took them from me. So I guess it's a bit of a hit or miss if you are carrying them on. I only have carry on luggage.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi everyone!

Bom Caminho!

Katie
A good article on umbrellas
https://sectionhiker.com/how-to-attach-trekking-umbrella-to-a-backpack/

Say YES to umbrellas. And they are not only for females, I saw a male caminante leaving Larrasoana under the rain and he was walking with a nice colorful umbrella (hand-free, he had a chest harness to hold his umbrella), other caminantes kept looking at him with amusement, however, the rest of the caminantes (this writer included) were all wet and he was dry and moving fast (it was not a windy morning). Buena suerte, y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

Kate, I walked the Camino Portuguese August/September 2017. It was wonderful and the Portuguise people amazingly kind and generous. I did wear Hoka's and for the most part they were great for all the cobblestones. (and cobbles are endless!) I did put in gook super feet insoles. However, I did get a messy blister on one of my feet which caused me to get a ride two days while my husband continued walking. Buen Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Even if they are take-down/foldable poles? The whole hiking pole folds up into six or seven segments. I would think this would be allowed, since it stows compactly, and doesn't look like a weapon.

Yes! I have read reports of hiking poles being confiscated at security gates. Some folks indicate that they have gotten them through. The policy is clearly written. They are not allowed in carry on luggage. What happens if you can not get them through? Have an alternate plan to check them and allow yourself time to do so. Also you will have to check them if you fly out of Santiago de Compostela. not allowed there either.

This has been discussed on the forum before. See. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/walking-poles-solution.49659/

Last edited:
At home I bought a 4" mailing tube that would snugly hold 2 pairs of folded poles. I fixed up the tube (name & addr, taped the lids, etc.) so that it was ready to go into checked luggage if necessary. Then I attached it to the bottom of my backpack where bed rolls would usually go. I would leave the tube attached like that when I put them through the x-ray machine.

No problem going through multiple security checks in both directions.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hello Kate,
I used the Hoka boot last year when I walked from Porto to Santiago then on to Muxia and Finisterre. They worked really well for me, my boots were a whole size bigger than my feet and the store demonstrated a couple of ways of tying and lacing them - It stopped my feet sliding forward in the boot going downhill. I walked 18 days back to back and had no blisters. Having cycled the Camino Frances in 2014, I am excitedly planning my return to SJPP in June to walk to Finisterre taking the Invierno route from Ponferrada.

Enjoy your second Camino, it will bring lots of good things.
Paul

Your wonderful attitude after such trials is inspiring and I am sure you will have a wonderful Camino. We did the coastal in 2016 (advanced ages, both) and it will never be forgotten. I do wonder about the salt tabs though. In my childhood (as I said a long time ago), they were standard fare to cope with relentless Australian summer heat.. But thinking has changed and it is now thought they do more harm than good for dehydration. Maybe do a bit of googling before you decide. Bom Caminho.

Hi everyone!

Bom Caminho!

Katie

Hi Katie! I walked the Camino Portugues last year and it was so amazing! I too had a major loss and it was such a balm to my soul. I often walked in the late afternoon/early evening and it was great; ran into more locals who were walking dogs, etc. We’d just take a cab back to sleep, then bus or cab the next day to return to where we ended the evening before. We did need to plan in advance to make sure there was access to a road and we had a good number for a cab, but generally it worked well. Hop you have a transformative Camino! Many blessings, Diana

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello, Kate, I remember your postings of your hardest Camino so well. How good it is to now read you have persevered through all the heart breaks and difficulties life has thrown at you. And with such a wonderful attitude.

Your Camino will be all that you need it to be, and more, because that is the kind of person you are. May joy and happiness be yours. Please keep us posted on your journey. Buen Camino!

Hi everyone!

Bom Caminho!

Katie
Hey Katie, I did the Camino France in Hoka's in 2016. Loved them, loved them, loved them. My only comment would be that even with the prep you are doing make sure you don't need to get the wide version. I did it in Bondi wides as the last few months of walking in Panama before I headed to Spain it became clear that after about 12km my feet would swell. Although only slightly, it meant that I got a few toe blisters which are caused by not enough width in my shoe so I switched to the wide version literrally two days before I started walking. Everyone bitched me out about the new shoes but as I'd been wearing Hoka's for a few years at that point I knew that my feet suited them and I didn't need any "breaking in" period. I found them super soft and they were excellent for rocks and cobbles. All the best for this next walk. J

You are without a doubt a pilgrim soul. If you are starting in Lisbon there are stages that either you make you own walk of about 16 or 17k or you may have to go about 30k. There aren't as many albergues along the way especially early. But leaving early you shouldn't have a problem. The biggest issue I have with this Camino is all the road walking. There is alot. The walk to Porto is not as lovely as other caminos but does improve some as you get to Porto. After Porto it improves alot.
The Camino itself was not my favorite but, as on all caminos you will meet some incredible and memorable people. One more thing, I think the people of Portugal are some of the nicest, kindest, friendliest and most generous people on earth. Every day this was reconfirmed to me.
You will be great! Bom Camino
PS I have no idea how heavy or comfortable your boots are. There is not alot of rough terrain on the camino but I think we all need a shoe that has spring and cushion on the bottom of our shoes. Maybe your choice fits that bill. I used Cascadia Trail Runners. They are light but have alot of support. Just my preference. I would be interested in other Portugese pilgrim comments on this. Nothing more important than whats on your feet. (walked in Sept/Oct and we had alot of hot days without a cloud in the sky so your right to try to finish early).

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back