• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Portugues - Bike hire or 2nd hand purchase near Vigo or Redonela please

Slowninja

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portuguese 2019 and 2022
Hi,

I continue the last leg of my Camino Portugeuse next week from Vigo/Redonela.

Due to travel chaos in the UK I have decided not to fly my bike over.

Just enquiring if anyone is aware or can recommend bike hire at either the above or suggestions to buy a 2nd hand bike (it will be donated to charity on completion).

Thanks in advance.

Slowninjabiker

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If you Google the terms Vigo, Spain bike rental you will see several possibilities.

Good luck with your planning.

If you Google the terms Vigo, Spain bike rental you will see several possibilities.

Good luck with your planning.
Thanks mspath,
I have already tried your suggestion and was looking for personal recomendations.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Vigo to SdC is 3 days max on a bike so how much to you want to spend? Bike Iberia will rent a hardtail for €185 for 3-5 days including delivery/collection. Used them before and very efficient getting the bike to your hotel (24 hour desk) by courier.

If you are in the market for a new carbon framed bike, perhaps now is the time and you can fly it back for ÂŁ49 using Easyjet or ÂŁ100 with Vueling.

Just saying.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Vigo to SdC is 3 days max on a bike so how much to you want to spend? Bike Iberia will rent a hardtail for €185 for 3-5 days including delivery/collection. Used them before and very efficient getting the bike to your hotel (24 hour desk) by courier.

If you are in the market for a new carbon framed bike, perhaps now is the time and you can fly it back for ÂŁ49 using Easyjet or ÂŁ100 with Vueling.

Just saying.
Thank you @Corned Beef Thant really useful info

Just to follow up on this thread I did manage to buy a second hand hybrid bike in Vigo for less than bike hire or the cost of flying my own bike over. Glad I didn't choose the later as bike would definitely not made the connection flight at Madrid.

I am looking for suggestions as to what to do with the bike when I reach Santiago. Is anyone aware of charities that could use or resell the bike ?

Similarly is there anyone wishing to travel on from Santiago by bike?

Thanks in advance

I hurt my foot and had to do a last minute bike purchase in Viana do Costelo in 2019. Not a specialty bike, by any means and a little heavy for my out-of-condition legs. When we arrived O Milladoiro, my friends tried to give it to the church there and that didn't go over well... but it was propped up nearby with a "free" sign on it for any wandering soul. Happy memories :)

To answer your question, though, an option for you is to contact Pilgrim House on Rua Nova 19, hours are 10-6, closed on Wednesdays and Sundays. https://pilgrimhousesantiago.com/ They are well-connected in SdC and perhaps can help.
Edit: they also take donations.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Suzanne
Thanks for your suggestion re Pilgrim House. I will reach out to them.
If any peleginos are interested here is a picture of the dream machine IMG_20220622_115611650.jpg
For the techies it appears to a lightweight ladies touring frame, 21 speed shimano tourney gearing with twist change, alloy rims, equipped with a rack. Quite comfortable and easily did 20k yesterday.

here is a picture of the dream machine

Looks a good solid bike that should cope with the terrain. Lots of smooth tracks from Vigo onwards so the lack of suspension shouldn't be an issue. Between you and I, can't see the obligatory camino bike bell. Perhaps like me, you prefer an air klaxon ;)?

As regards donating, have you checked Caritas? There is an email address on the site which might give you some more information - comunicacion.cdsantiago@caritas.es

Mind if you want to apply for a Compostela certificate, you have to ride at least 200 kms and collect two stamps a day .
Vigo is 100 kms from Santiago and Redondela even less
start in Porto or Vila do Conde .

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Looks a good solid bike that should cope with the terrain. Lots of smooth tracks from Vigo onwards so the lack of suspension shouldn't be an issue. Between you and I, can't see the obligatory camino bike bell. Perhaps like me, you prefer an air klaxon ;)?

As regards donating, have you checked Caritas? There is an email address on the site which might give you some more information - comunicacion.cdsantiago@caritas.es

Thanks @Corned Beef , I also prefer air Klaxon.🤣
I will check out Caritas also.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back