• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Portugues Central

jas11

camino portugues, camino frances, camino ingles
Time of past OR future Camino
Hello Pilgrims!
I’ll be walking the Camino in October and due to time restraint I’ll be starting in Barcelos instead of Porto. Would love to hear suggestions/tips on where to stay. Not sure if I should book ahead or just wait and see how it’s like on the day off. How’s the weather like early October?
And where to get PCR Covid test in Santiago?
Will need it transitting back to the UK.
Thanks in advance :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello Pilgrims!
I’ll be walking the Camino in October and due to time restraint I’ll be starting in Barcelos instead of Porto. Would love to hear suggestions/tips on where to stay. Not sure if I should book ahead or just wait and see how it’s like on the day off. How’s the weather like early October?
Hello Pilgrims!
Hi

Hello Pilgrims!
Hi Jas,
We are in Porto tonight and start tomorrow. We are staying at Quinta de Santa Comba on Saturday night, a little way out of Barcelos, but recommended, will let you know what it's like but looks good.
You only need an Antigen test to return to UK, we have booked ours already, google Quiron Salud, 45 Euros.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210909-225723.png
    Screenshot_20210909-225723.png
    107.9 KB · Views: 11
Hi Jas,
We are in Porto tonight and start tomorrow. We are staying at Quinta de Santa Comba on Saturday night, a little way out of Barcelos, but recommended, will let you know what it's like but looks good.
You only need an Antigen test to return to UK, we have booked ours already, google Quiron Salud, 45 Euros.
Thank you for the info about covid test.
Good luck and Buen Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I stayed in Barcelos for 2 nights resting a bad blister in the fall of 2019. I was so impressed with the Galliano restaurant behind the Hotel Terco where I was staying that I ate there twice. I loved the streets without cars, the large square in from of the Templo do Senhor Bom Jesus da Cruz, the temple/church itself, the archeological ruins near the Ponte de Barcelos... Just generally thought the town was great. Near the train station there is a grocery store where you can provision up, and across from the station is a mom-n-pop restaurant where I bought a massive breaded chicken cutlet sandwich for 1.5 euros....
You won't regret Barcelos...

I loved Ponte de Lima. It is a beautiful town and a really lovely and peaceful park that you will see as you go over the bridge. There are lots of restaurants and a really nice atmosphere. I stayed in the municipal albergue which is closed now. It is 34K from Barcelos. You could break it up into two days by staying at Casa de Fernanda. I unfortunately never stayed there as I did not know about it when I walked the CP. I have heard on podcasts and from pilgrims on the forum how wonderful this place is. I don't think you can go wrong.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello Pilgrims!
We were in Barcelos 3 days ago and walked to Lugar , we stayed at Casa Fernanda and had an amazing experience. It is a donativo but Fernanda and her husband provided a great communal meal and a very welcoming place to stay. Highly recommend it but it is very popular so advise you to call ahead and reserve a room.

In 2019 I, like you, started in Barcelos. I stayed in Barcelos Way Guest house. My train from Porto was delayed, it was late and very dark when I arrived. The owner of the Guesthouse sent a taxi to pick me up at the train station and stayed in constant communication until I safely inside. Really kind and good people. Accommodation very comfortable also a great and plentiful breakfast. Highly recommended and on the actual Camino way.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
In 2019 I, like you, started in Barcelos. I stayed in Barcelos Way Guest house. My train from Porto was delayed, it was late and very dark when I arrived. The owner of the Guesthouse sent a taxi to pick me up at the train station and stayed in constant communication until I safely inside. Really kind and good people. Accommodation very comfortable also a great and plentiful breakfast. Highly recommended and on the actual Camino way.
Absolutely agree. We stayed at BWay guest house 3 nights ago, very friendly helpful and good breakfast.

Also stayed there, very welcoming!

I loved Ponte de Lima. It is a beautiful town and a really lovely and peaceful park that you will see as you go over the bridge. There are lots of restaurants and a really nice atmosphere. I stayed in the municipal albergue which is closed now. It is 34K from Barcelos. You could break it up into two days by staying at Casa de Fernanda. I unfortunately never stayed there as I did not know about it when I walked the CP. I have heard on podcasts and from pilgrims on the forum how wonderful this place is. I don't think you can go wrong.
Thanks for suggestions!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello Pilgrims!
Whatever you do don't miss the Thursday market in Barcelos. I stayed at Residencial Solar da Estacao.Nothing fancy ...........clean and right across from the market. I'm going again in Oct.

Amigos da Montanha Pilgrims Hostel​

I have stayed here twice once in 2016 and again in 2019. Excellent modern hostel, staff very helpful.
Just before the bridge crossing into the town.

We were in Barcelos 3 days ago and walked to Lugar , we stayed at Casa Fernanda and had an amazing experience. It is a donativo but Fernanda and her husband provided a great communal meal and a very welcoming place to stay. Highly recommend it but it is very popular so advise you to call ahead and reserve a room.
Nobody will find the place “Lugar”
the house of the family Oliveira is called “Lugar do Corgo” and is situated just south of the village of Vitorino de Piães about 18 kms from Barcelos on the way to Ponte de Lima . Once you passed the village of Balugães and crossed the mainroad N207 you will find Casa da Fernanda after 2 kms at the left side of the waymarked caminhopath.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Jas,
Quinta do Comba, got here today and it gets our thumbs up, nice 17c hotel with small number of rooms and a pool. Great after our walk from Arco's today. We also diverted to Fonte de água do recinto do Santuário da Franqueira, a bit off track and a climb, but worth it for the views.

Attachments

• IMG_20210911_183516325.jpg
    IMG_20210911_183516325.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20210911_145327824.jpg
    IMG_20210911_145327824.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
what do you mean the municipal is closed? should be open april to oct and website does not show closed. is this due to covid
and excuse my ignorance but is Casa de Fernanda a place to stay or a village?

We've booked to stay at Casa Fernanda too. We read so much about how wonderful it is, so we're really looking forward to it.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
what do you mean the municipal is closed? should be open april to oct and website does not show closed. is this due to covid
and excuse my ignorance but is Casa de Fernanda a place to stay or a village?
Ignorance is an opportunity to learn as a teacher of mine once said. If you open my link on the original post that takes you to the Gronze website right under the the list of places to stay in Ponte de Lima the first listing is the Pilgrim hostel. It has a circle next to it with a line through the circle.
That signifies it is closed. I know this albergue only allows pilgrims. I think all municipal albergues (I could be wrong) only allow pilgrims with credentials. Gronze does an excellent job of keeping up to date information on albergues that are open/closed.
If you look at the map on Gronze about halfway through that stage you will see a little line beteeen two villages for the Albergue, Casa de Fernanda. I think the listing for the albergue is listed in the town right after you would pass Casa de Fernanda Just checked Gronze again and even though it is private it also only accepts pilgrims. If you have a credential on any Camino you will be able to sleep in any albergue.
If you have more questions we are all here to help.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back