• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Portugues - Change in Plans - Mistakes Made

GuyA

Time of past OR future Camino
After walking 5 different Camino routes you would think I should know better...agreed!

I started last Sunday walking with Paulo from Brazil from Lisbon...short day to Parque de Nações. We then proceeded to walk in 3 days to Santarem...a little over 100kms in total.

Almost constant rain, long long stretches of road walking, distances further than my guidebook, lack of scenery, dreadful blisters combined with almost certainly inappropriate use of Compeed has stopped me cold.

Compeed worked for me once before but the small growing eggs on both feet told me...not this time!

For the first time in over 2,700 kms of Camino paths I had to take the train. Awful feeling...what worked for me in the past was not what I should have done this time!

The next 3 days forecast constant rain so...major plan change. Going to Porto...get some medical assistance...rest for 4 days and replan walking to Santiago averaging 18 kms rather than 30 kms as planned (remember I was simply assuming what worked in the past would work again).

Actually now that I have let go of the “plan” I am really looking forward to the walk...even it it rains!

I will look back and laugh at myself in the future...what was I thinking?

Ultreia

Guy

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Guy, sorry to hear that you've been sidelined by feet/ blister issues! Sounds painful...

Porto is a beautiful city if you're able to hobble around it a bit. (If you get the chance, do across the bridge to the village of Vilanova de Gaia and take in the views of Porto from there - gorgeous!) It seems like some rest and retreating during these few days are part of the plan for this Camino - hope you come to really enjoy the rest and solitude. Sounds like you are already!

Take care and keep us posted! Buen Camino whatever it looks like for you today and in the days to come.
Faith

Ah... I guess the cobbled stones did it again. I got as far as Tomar. The nurse told me to come back next year with better shoes. I bought other shoes and sandals, went by train to Coimbra and had an easy day there. Then by train to Porto. Beautiful city. Next I walked on my sandals to Santiago. You can do it also, peregrino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Guy, I had similar experience on same route but without the rain.
Had not experienced blisters before but by Tomar, had to seek medical advice for my feet.
The doctor in EMERGENCY bound my foot and suggested I take a break for four days. I think I was demanding too much of my feet over initial long distances.
I hopped on a train to Porto where there are great services (seminaries accommodation near the hospital district). I hobbled about Porto, spent a day on the historic train up the Douro, and was ready to walk again after three days.
It was more a mental setback than anything although the "wounds" on my feet were very real. Best to you. I made new friends and had a great walk up the Coast.
Buen Camino.

After walking 5 different Camino routes you would think I should know better...agreed!

I started last Sunday walking with Paulo from Brazil from Lisbon...short day to Parque de Nações. We then proceeded to walk in 3 days to Santarem...a little over 100kms in total.

Almost constant rain, long long stretches of road walking, distances further than my guidebook, lack of scenery, dreadful blisters combined with almost certainly inappropriate use of Compeed has stopped me cold.

Compeed worked for me once before but the small growing eggs on both feet told me...not this time!

For the first time in over 2,700 kms of Camino paths I had to take the train. Awful feeling...what worked for me in the past was not what I should have done this time!

The next 3 days forecast constant rain so...major plan change. Going to Porto...get some medical assistance...rest for 4 days and replan walking to Santiago averaging 18 kms rather than 30 kms as planned (remember I was simply assuming what worked in the past would work again).

Actually now that I have let go of the “plan” I am really looking forward to the walk...even it it rains!

I will look back and laugh at myself in the future...what was I thinking?

Ultreia

Guy

Ah the rain and road walking, takes me right back to Portugal, thankfully no blisters as I have learnt my lesson the hard way. Ditch the compeed and use a liberal daily dosing of vassaline or lanoline based foot cream. The route does get better.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Many thanks for your kind words of encouragement. Just saw Dr. Olga at the Vita Saude medical clinic. Unbelievable kindness and caring shown...she worked for 1 hour and 15 minutes for 40 euros. She even provided her private phone number if I need help over the weekend which I won’t as I am to rest off my feet mostly. Our Tuesday restart plan with shorter distances is definitely possible.

Truly the Camino spirit in action with Dr. Olga!

So the beautiful city of Porto will have to wait...unintended book reading here I come!

For other pilgrims here is what I was told by someone who has cared for many many pilgrims. Note I am simply relaying expert opinion...clearly different approaches can and do work:

1) small blister and large Compeed is ok however large blister and large Compeed is a recipe for big problems as the Compeed cannot absorb the moisture which is why my very large blisters occurred

2) my Dalghren socks which worked well in past are too thick, old and trap heat. Recommended a Portuguese brand Berg

3) vaseline not the best as it does nothing for the skin...will buy some type of foot cream

Bom Camino to all!

Guy

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Ah the rain and road walking, takes me right back to Portugal, thankfully no blisters as I have learnt my lesson the hard way. Ditch the compeed and use a liberal daily dosing of vassaline or lanoline based foot cream. The route does get better.

Yes! And massage every evening (thanks, Marcos, for that advice)

Many thanks for your kind words of encouragement. Just saw Dr. Olga at the Vita Saude medical clinic. Unbelievable kindness and caring shown...she worked for 1 hour and 15 minutes for 40 euros. She even provided her private phone number if I need help over the weekend which I won’t as I am to rest off my feet mostly. Our Tuesday restart plan with shorter distances is definitely possible.

Truly the Camino spirit in action with Dr. Olga!

So the beautiful city of Porto will have to wait...unintended book reading here I come!

For other pilgrims here is what I was told by someone who has cared for many many pilgrims. Note I am simply relaying expert opinion...clearly different approaches can and do work:

1) small blister and large Compeed is ok however large blister and large Compeed is a recipe for big problems as the Compeed cannot absorb the moisture which is why my very large blisters occurred

2) my Dalghren socks which worked well in past are too thick, old and trap heat. Recommended a Portuguese brand Berg

3) vaseline not the best as it does nothing for the skin...will buy some type of foot cream

Bom Camino to all!

Guy

Try Gehwohl - a German product.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
So glad you have had such good medical care, I fell (quiet literally) under the care of an amazing army Drs on our first Camino who gave us the same advice and it's has served us well for thousands of kms. Hot sweaty feet and hard roads can reek havoc, and sadly that's a combo on the Portuguse route.

The thing about the foot cream is to apply it liberally as it provides a moisture barrier that saves your skin (think of nappy cream, which I have used on my feet when I couldn't get my preferred lanoline cream). If feels pretty odd putting your socks on over greased feet, but you get used to it and it saves your toes from peeling like grapes.

The other thing I would recommend for the Portugues route are reflector strips on your pack, we were often leaving or arriving into towns via busy roads during low light periods, meaning the minimal verge you walk on was even more dangerous, the reflector strips helped increase our visibility... Especially in the rain.

Sorry if this makes it all sound bleak, go and pour yourself another port and eat some custard tarts there is plenty to enjoy.

The beautifil scenery for me started from Golela leading all the way to Coimbra, and the smaller distances betweet towns were all from Coimbra. I had to admit that John Brierly's guide is not always accurate with kilometers. The Santarem to Golega stretch is more like 35-36km instead of 31km that was mentioned in the book. Hope the weather and your your feet condition improves and you can go on. As far as I know the rains and the stormy winds are going to subside from Wed onwards. It's great that you have a company on this particular road, I found other people on that Camino indispensable as you feel less cobblestones under your feet when immersed in an interesting conversation :) Bom Camino!

Well it’s been 3 weeks now...feet mostly healed and am glad to say that I walked to Santiago de Compostela from Porto. It wasn’t easy (read painful as tender new skin was really put to the test) however the satisfaction of achieving the modified goal made it all worthwhile!

Thanks for the support and encouragement!

Guy

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Well it’s been 3 weeks now...feet mostly healed and am glad to say that I walked to Santiago de Compostela from Porto. It wasn’t easy (read painful as tender new skin was really put to the test) however the satisfaction of achieving the modified goal made it all worthwhile!

Thanks for the support and encouragement!

Guy
So happy to see that you made it to Santiago. Thanks for keeping us all informed.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
vaseline not the best as it does nothing for the skin...will buy some type of foot cream
Sorry to hear about all of the above! We’ve had health crises in Porto and always found the local medical professionals very kind and helpful.

Regarding foot cream: any cream/creme is water based and so will soften the skin and make it more blister-prone. Not a good choice when walking, although it might be fine the night before.

Sorry to hear about all of the above! We’ve had health crises in Porto and always found the local medical professionals very kind and helpful.

Regarding foot cream: any cream/creme is water based and so will soften the skin and make it more blister-prone. Not a good choice when walking, although it might be fine the night before.
Yes. I have been walking 39 days. Finished CF Sunday. I took Pharma advice (after showing her my can of Unguento) and she recommended Arnica cream which I applied to my feet this morning. This morning - 2 hours into a 7 hour walk - my feet started to heat up on the top. I had to stop, walk in sandals and get help from other Peregrinos. Even a cafe gave me ointment to get by until I could make the next village to buy some Vaseline. So tips:
1. Don’t buy any brand you don’t know. Even if recommended by Pharma. Just don’t go there. I did not have the language skills but thought if I showed her the product she would know. She didn’t and it almost brought my run to Fisterra to an untimely end.
2. Research the foot balm recommendations available in Spain or bring enough with you. I used Hirschtalg and Unguento with excellent results. I saw other Peregrinos using Vaseline.
3. Check this forum for recommendations from others who have been. Don’t trust the Pharmacia. Just don’t.
4. If your feet get hot get help. I narrowly avoided blisters by just asking for help. I eventually got a top up of HT from another Peregrino. So I am set for my last long walk to the end of the earth.

Any recommendations for foot balm to use when walking would be useful. In my experience no shops I checked carried HT or Unguento. It drove to to despair.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back