• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Portugues Coastal/Central Route

Lize du Plessis

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to walk beginning May 2017
Hi All!

My mom and I are planning to walk the Camino from Porto to Santiago starting on the 16th of May 2017. We are planning to walk the Coastal route up to Caminha, and would then like to join the Central route at Valenca, walking via Vila Nova de Cerveira. We would like to know whether this route is marked, and is it easily accessible? I see on Google maps there is a main road that one can follow, the N13, but we would prefer walking the road less traveled by car. We estimate that this is about 30km, and would like to do this in one day.

I look forward to hearing your insights!

Best regards,
Lize

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi All!

My mom and I are planning to walk the Camino from Porto to Santiago starting on the 16th of May 2017. We are planning to walk the Coastal route up to Caminha, and would then like to join the Central route at Valenca, walking via Vila Nova de Cerveira. We would like to know whether this route is marked, and is it easily accessible? I see on Google maps there is a main road that one can follow, the N13, but we would prefer walking the road less traveled by car. We estimate that this is about 30km, and would like to do this in one day.

Best regards,
Lize
Jsalts map reference http://www.caminador.es/ is very good. These maps are downloadable and very detailed all the way to SdC. We walked from Caminha to Valenca last July with no map and no problem. Just bookmark the maps and download what you need as you need it. The Camino winds it's way on streets through neighborhoods with lots of beautiful homes and scenery. You should have no problem but if you do lose the path just keep going East and stay near the river Minho which will be easy for you to see for most of that stretch.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Jsalts map reference http://www.caminador.es/ is very good. These maps are downloadable and very detailed all the way to SdC. We walked from Caminha to Valenca last July with no map and no problem. Just bookmark the maps and download what you need as you need it. The Camino winds it's way on streets through neighborhoods with lots of beautiful homes and scenery. You should have no problem but if you do lose the path just keep going East and stay near the river Minho which will be easy for you to see for most of that stretch.

Thanks Paintboy. Did you do Porto to Caminha on the Coastal route, and from there to Valenca and further on the Central route, or did you revert back to the Coastal route?

Hi Jill

Thank you for the links, it is really very helpful. I think I am missing something, the caminador.es site is in Spanish, is there an English option? Or is it only in Spanish?

Thank you!

Hi Lize, no English version, sorry! Use Google Translate:

https://translate.google.com/

for any words that you don’t understand, but maps are pretty easy to follow in the original language.
Jill

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi All!

Best regards,
Lize
Hi there. I see those was a few years back but wondered how it was? I'm doing it in May.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! My partner and I are preparing to do around 7 days of the Camino Portuguese route, starting at the end of April. We're flying to Porto from Edinburgh, and looking at the best route to...
Will be walking the CP in Aug/Sep with planning clearly focused to staying (for the most part) on the Litoral. However, (using Brierley's Guide) the stage from A Ramallosa to Vigo sets up quite a...
Doing research for my upcoming Camino, I want to connect from coastal to central in Caminha. According to JB the ecopista is pleasant along the river, but I notice Stingy Nomads recommend the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back