• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Portugues, Coastal route from Porto - Itinerary help

kristiepies

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino-Portuguese, starting in Porto, July 31-Aug 20
Hi all!

Thank you in advance for anyones 2 cents.

I get to Porto on Aug 1 at 9:45 AM and leave Santiago at 1PM Aug 20. That gives me about 18 days of trekking. I am hoping to stay in places for under 50 USD/45 Euros per night.

Does anyone have any itinerary advice or an itinerary they would share with me?

Specific questions:
-Where to go to get the camino passport from the airport?
-Where to stay an extra day along the route
-List of places to book in my budget?
-Is it ok to not book in advance and wing it or will there be too many pilgrims in august?
-What will the weather be like?
-Advice for solo female travelers?

THANKS!
Kristie

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You should definitely spend some time in Porto, and you can get your credential at the cathedral for 2 euros. There are many places within your budget, use gronze.com to help with sorting out your basic route and places to stay, depends on how much you walk each day. If you walk the coastal route you might want to reserve as you will be in tourist season. It will likely be hot. Book ahead for Casa Fernanda between Barcelos and Ponte de Lima ( use search engine on the forum for contact info), otherwise see how it goes. Ponte de Lima is lovely, and Pontevedra might also be a spot to linger for a day. You have lots of time, and will be fine on your own. There is a ton of info on the forum, buen Camino!

Hi Kristie,
-Like Auburnfive I say Porto is worth spending an extra day. Do one of the walking tours.
-Casa Fernanda's is lovely "no wifi - you all talk and get to know each other!" She's on the Central Route and not Coastal though. I ended up moving from Coastal to Central to stay at Fernanda's. I met some lovely people there and walked with many of them. Need reservations.
-I used booking.com and booked a day or two ahead for places that were under 45 euro/night
-it will be hot
-I met more solo women travellers this year than my last two Caminos. My advice - even if you don't want a coffee or water at a bar, pay a euro and ask to use their loo. If nature calls enroute, pack out your TP!
-one more piece of advice - wear your sunscreen and hat! Saw lots of people with burns in May!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks all! If I wait the day before to book the next day is that enough notice to find a place to stay in August? Is porto big? Where do you recommend stayiing in porto? Is there a certain part of town? 2 nights in Porto or 3?

OMG, Porto is loaded with choices of accommodation. We always tend to splurge in the big cities, and just get the best deal when we look on booking.com. There is a municipal albergue in Porto, but it is north of town, along the central route, so i wouldn't advise staying there. Try to find a place close to the cathedral and all the hubbub. You can make up the extra cost, easily, later in the walk, to stay within your budget. SInce you have lots of time, you can stay in the in-between stage albergues, which may be less full.

If you have 18 days, that will be great to take your time. We did it in 12 days, including the walk out of Porto along the river into Matosinhos, instead of taking the metro. This is a sublime walk, along the Douro in the early morning while the city sleeps (see my blog, day 15) and beats the metro hands down! Especially if you have all this time!

Three great towns to spend an extra day in, are Vila do Conde, Viana do Costelo and Baiona. Please read the days, 15, 17 and 20, where I describe these places! BTW, my day-counting starts in Lisbon!

Lots of folks cross over to the central in Caminha, but I quite frankly don't understand why. Vigo may not be very nice (I actually didn't mind the walk on the shelf road just beyond, with gorgeous views of the bay below), but you would miss Oia with it's lovely monastery on the beach and Baiona, a lovely beach town with old churches, castles, and kilometers of walking on the beach itself! (Can you tell I am a beach nut??)

There are also other days where walking on the beach is possible, as well of kilometers and kilometers on boardwalks with old windmills. All so very lovely!

Please see my website's, the Many Ways on the Camino Portugues, from days 15-26 on the Coastal/Senda Litoral to see photos of just how lovely it all is and where you may wish to tarry even more! Plus I give you all the route info and accommodation info that you need!

Then, when you see how lovely the rest of the routes are, you may want to do them all at some future point in time! I have not yet walked the Variante Espiritual, but that is on my list. It only adds a few more days to an itinerary that includes the Coastal, so consider that as well!

As for being a solo female, you will see lots of pilgrims this time of year, so I don't think you have to worry. However, carry a whistle that is within reach at all times, so you can blow it and attract attention if your hackles go up. Also download the Spanish app called "AlertCops" to your cell phone, for instant calling to the Police. It is in English so you don't have to worry about the language barrier!!

Have a blast and happy planning!

I found Airporto Hostel a great place to stay , 10 minutes walk from the airport and next to a metro station.

Our French hiking friends have stayed at the Garden House Hostal each of the last two years. It is on a very busy walking street around the corner from a stop on Porto's Metro line. So you can cheaply go from the airport right into Porto via the Metro system which combines both below ground (typical subway) and above ground (tram).

My wife and I fly overnight from the U.S. to start our walks and our personal preference is usually to spend a night or two where we land before the start of each Camino. Porto is a fun place with many things to see and do. If you have the time and the inclination, stay a couple of nights.

If you want to splurge on your lodging in Porto, I can furnish other suggestions. Just PM me.

Arriving on August 6 and staying in Porto first two nights. Decided to splurge and chose Moon and Sun Hotel. What are must do/see things for first two days prior to walking?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
BTW, the Coastal Route and the Senda Litoral intersect in some coastal towns, but are not the same route. I think most people here, when they say Coastal, mean the Litoral.

I've now managed to process and upload all the photos taken when I was walking the Portuguese Coastal Camino. Just zoom through them quickly - I know I took too many.
Google have managed to shuffle them in a few places, but they're 99% in chronological order.
In Part I, we walking together along the Atlantic Coast, mainly on the board-walk. This is the link: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Xo8f7ZfgMAbU2macA
In Part II, I was mainly my own, visiting old haunts, with many old memories, and suffering my usual blister problems. This is the link: https://photos.app.goo.gl/3kaWHnt8q3oiqEoY8
  • Left click on the first picture to start seeing them all full screen.
  • Click on the > on the right of the picture to move onto the next one.
  • IMPORTANT: Click on the little 'i' in the circle on right-hand side for information, my comments, and often even a map at the bottom, showing location. etc.
I realise this is too late for Kristie, but someone else might find them useful.
Steve

Hi all!

I get to Porto on Aug 1 at 9:45 AM and leave Santiago at 1PM Aug 20. That gives me about 18 days of trekking. I am hoping to stay in places for under 50 USD/45 Euros per night.

Specific questions:
-Is it ok to not book in advance and wing it or will there be too many pilgrims in august?

THANKS!
Kristie
Hi Kristie, would love to know how your walk has been and any advice you may have?

Hi all!

Specific questions:

THANKS!
Kristie
Arrive Porto Monday August 6 (Tourist info in arrival hall for map of city and hotel info)Sao Bento metro to Hotel

8/6 to 8/8 Hotel Moon and sun Porto, 70 Rua de Sá de Noronha, União de Freguesias do Centro, Porto : sightseeing

Begin walk 8/8: Take cab to Matosinhos on the camino. If I want to take the Metro by hotel Trindade station then take Metro to Matosinhos Sul. Take a cab ½ way Hop off Metro, climb winding stairs to the top of the bridge. Cross Rio Leca. Turn Left and walk a few blocks to the Atlantic. Turn North, follow the ocean (keep the ocean on my left side )

Matosinhos to
Vila do Condo coastal Route 20.8KM:

Thursday 8/8- Friday 8/9 Autor Guesthouse

Autor Guesthouse

Rua do Lidador nº225, 4480-791 Vila do Conde, Portugal

(Phone: +351 913 361 588)

Friday 8/9-8/10 Leave Vila Do Condo walk to Arcos (via Junqueira) 10KM: Vila D’Arcos (This is where I join the main inland or Central Route)

Villa d'Arcos
Rua da Alegria, 38 - Arcos, Arcos, 4480-014, Portugal -
Phone: +351252652041

Saturday 8/10-8/11 Leave Arcos and walk to Barcelos 18.6km:

Art'Otel Barcelos : Rua da Madalena nº29, 4750-315 Barcelos, Portugal

(Phone: +351 253 185 819)

Sunday 8/11-8/12 Barcelos to Lugar do Corgo 14.6Km:

Casas da Quinta da Cancela
Rua Cândido Batista de Sousa, 275, Balugães, 4905-031, Portugal -
Phone: +351 965 075 700

Monday 8/12-8/13 Walk Lugar do Corgo to midway point which is Ponte de Lima 12.8km (rest in ponte take shoes off and have lunch ) leave ponte da lima (uphill steep climb 12km) to Alto da Portela Grande:

CR Oliveirinha 35 km/22 miles: CR Olivveirinha

Casa Da Oliveirinha

Lugar De Trulhe, 4940-041 Casco, Portugal

Phone: +00351 917600160

Tuesday 8/13-8/14 Alta Portela Grande to Tui 26.8km: Hotel A Torre do Xudeu Tui Page 151

Hotel A Torre do Xudeu
Tide, 3, Tui, 36700, Spain -
Phone: +34986603535

Wednesday 8/14-8/15 Tui to Redondela : 1)Walk Tui to Cruceiro San Telmo 5.8 km 2) Take Taxi from Cruceiro San Telmo through Porrino 12.6km to Mos 3) Walk to Redondela 16.5 Km

Santiago Vila Vella

Pai Crespo, 55
36800 Redondela
Spain

Phone :+34 673 4147 52

Thursday 8/15-8/16
Redondela to Pontevedra : Hotel Boa Vila ( Decide if I’m doing spiritual way

Hotel Boa Vila ( Furthur in past Albuerge to Cobblestone town)
Real, 4 - 6, Pontevedra, 36002, Spain -
Phone: +34 986 10 52 65
Email property

Friday 8/16-8/17 Walk Pontevedra to Caldas de Reis 22km : Hotel Select Real 1

Select Real I
Rúa Real 49, Caldas de Reis, 36650, Spain -

Saturday 8/17-8/18 Walk Caldas de Reis to Padron 22.5 km :Hotel Scala

Hotel Scala
Ctra. N-550, S/N, Padrón, 15917, Spain -
Phone: +34981811312

Sunday 8/18-8/19 Leave Padron continue walking to Santiago De Copostela

25 Km

Tui trans last luggage transfer to Hotel Gelmirez

Hotel Gelmírez
Hórreo, 92, Santiago de Compostela, 15702, Spain -
Phone: +34981561100

Take Bus to Fisterre

Monday 8/19/-8/20 Hotel Sempre Fisterra Rua Real, 42, Finisterre, 15155 Spain

Tuesday 8/20/-8/21 Habitat Cm Muxia Calle Real, 40, 15124, Muxia Spain

8/21-8/22
8/22-8/23
8/23 Return to Porto
8/24 Porto Gallery Hostel
Rua Miguel Bombarda, 222, União de Freguesias do Centro, 4050-377 Porto, Portugal
8/25 Return Home

Arrive Porto Monday August 6 (Tourist info in arrival hall for map of city and hotel info)Sao Bento metro to Hotel

8/6 to 8/8 Hotel Moon and sun Porto, 70 Rua de Sá de Noronha, União de Freguesias do Centro, Porto : sightseeing

Begin walk 8/8: Take cab to Matosinhos on the camino. If I want to take the Metro by hotel Trindade station then take Metro to Matosinhos Sul. Take a cab ½ way Hop off Metro, climb winding stairs to the top of the bridge. Cross Rio Leca. Turn Left and walk a few blocks to the Atlantic. Turn North, follow the ocean (keep the ocean on my left side )

Matosinhos to
Vila do Condo coastal Route 20.8KM:

Thursday 8/8- Friday 8/9 Autor Guesthouse

Autor Guesthouse

Rua do Lidador nº225, 4480-791 Vila do Conde, Portugal

(Phone: +351 913 361 588)

Friday 8/9-8/10 Leave Vila Do Condo walk to Arcos (via Junqueira) 10KM: Vila D’Arcos (This is where I join the main inland or Central Route)

Villa d'Arcos
Rua da Alegria, 38 - Arcos, Arcos, 4480-014, Portugal -
Phone: +351252652041

Saturday 8/10-8/11 Leave Arcos and walk to Barcelos 18.6km:

Art'Otel Barcelos : Rua da Madalena nº29, 4750-315 Barcelos, Portugal

(Phone: +351 253 185 819)

Sunday 8/11-8/12 Barcelos to Lugar do Corgo 14.6Km:

Casas da Quinta da Cancela
Rua Cândido Batista de Sousa, 275, Balugães, 4905-031, Portugal -
Phone: +351 965 075 700

Monday 8/12-8/13 Walk Lugar do Corgo to midway point which is Ponte de Lima 12.8km (rest in ponte take shoes off and have lunch ) leave ponte da lima (uphill steep climb 12km) to Alto da Portela Grande:

CR Oliveirinha 35 km/22 miles: CR Olivveirinha

Casa Da Oliveirinha

Lugar De Trulhe, 4940-041 Casco, Portugal

Phone: +00351 917600160

Tuesday 8/13-8/14 Alta Portela Grande to Tui 26.8km: Hotel A Torre do Xudeu Tui Page 151

Hotel A Torre do Xudeu
Tide, 3, Tui, 36700, Spain -
Phone: +34986603535

Wednesday 8/14-8/15 Tui to Redondela : 1)Walk Tui to Cruceiro San Telmo 5.8 km 2) Take Taxi from Cruceiro San Telmo through Porrino 12.6km to Mos 3) Walk to Redondela 16.5 Km

Santiago Vila Vella

Pai Crespo, 55
36800 Redondela
Spain

Phone :+34 673 4147 52

Thursday 8/15-8/16
Redondela to Pontevedra : Hotel Boa Vila ( Decide if I’m doing spiritual way

Hotel Boa Vila ( Furthur in past Albuerge to Cobblestone town)
Real, 4 - 6, Pontevedra, 36002, Spain -
Phone: +34 986 10 52 65
Email property

Friday 8/16-8/17 Walk Pontevedra to Caldas de Reis 22km : Hotel Select Real 1

Select Real I
Rúa Real 49, Caldas de Reis, 36650, Spain -

Saturday 8/17-8/18 Walk Caldas de Reis to Padron 22.5 km :Hotel Scala

Hotel Scala
Ctra. N-550, S/N, Padrón, 15917, Spain -
Phone: +34981811312

Sunday 8/18-8/19 Leave Padron continue walking to Santiago De Copostela

25 Km

Tui trans last luggage transfer to Hotel Gelmirez

Hotel Gelmírez
Hórreo, 92, Santiago de Compostela, 15702, Spain -
Phone: +34981561100

Take Bus to Fisterre

Monday 8/19/-8/20 Hotel Sempre Fisterra Rua Real, 42, Finisterre, 15155 Spain

Tuesday 8/20/-8/21 Habitat Cm Muxia Calle Real, 40, 15124, Muxia Spain

8/21-8/22
8/22-8/23
8/23 Return to Porto
8/24 Porto Gallery Hostel
Rua Miguel Bombarda, 222, União de Freguesias do Centro, 4050-377 Porto, Portugal
8/25 Return Home

Why wait til you reach Portugal before getting your credencial? You can get it on this website - just look at the blue (at least it's blue on my computer) bar on top, Camino Passport.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi all!

Specific questions:

THANKS!
Kristie

You don't need to take a cab to Matosinhos. Some people take the metro, but I took the bus, which was nice because it follows the route along the river to the coast. Ask anybody in town where to catch that bus. It stops on a city street in Porto.

I would not plan ahead where you want to stay an extra day. Wait to get there.

Hi all!

Specific questions:

THANKS!
Kristie

Way by coast is amazing.
Sometimes is worth getting out the standard camino.
Crossing the estuary from Vigo to Moaña by ferry, for instance, is an amazing experience. Sometimes you even may see dolphins, specially on spring or late summer and early fall.
You can see images of the forest path across Moaña at this blog:

You can find several useful facilities on the way as the public market of fish and vegetables, the care center and a hostel in the forest (with fantastic sport courts).

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Iago, I'm planning the Coastal Camino next June and I'd be interested to know more on this alternative route starting from Moana to Pontevedra . Does the ferry from Vigo to Moana run every day? Where is the hostel in the forest located? And what do you suggest after taking the ruta de molinos de agua to continue north to Pontevedra? I have no plan to stay in Vigo, are there any other ferry to Moana/Cangas from let's say Baiona/Oia?

Hi all!

Specific questions:

THANKS!
Kristie

We are doing the coast route from Porto to Santiago de Compostela in June 2020. Out itinerary is 3 days in Porto, 6 days walking to Baiona, a rest day in Baiona, then 6 days walking to Santiago de Compostela.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We are doing the coast route from Porto to Santiago de Compostela in June 2020. Out itinerary is 3 days in Porto, 6 days walking to Baiona, a rest day in Baiona, then 6 days walking to Santiago de Compostela.

Buen Camino and say hello when you are in Santiago!
BC SY

Hi Iago, I'm planning the Coastal Camino next June and I'd be interested to know more on this alternative route starting from Moana to Pontevedra . Does the ferry from Vigo to Moana run every day? Where is the hostel in the forest located? And what do you suggest after taking the ruta de molinos de agua to continue north to Pontevedra? I have no plan to stay in Vigo, are there any other ferry to Moana/Cangas from let's say Baiona/Oia?
Hello Chopinet,
The ferry is currently running every day, but I don't know if during sundays it will continue working in 2020 because it depends on the season. In fact, the ferry company doesn't offer sundays at its web page: https://www.piratasdenabia.com/empresa/horarios-y-tarifas/#moana
You can see the route at https://es.wikiloc.com/rutas-outdoo...co-vigo-moana-cotorredondo-pontevedra-6562730
The hostel is located here: https://www.google.com/maps/place/O...hUKEwiA7aa1-9rmAhWEy4UKHd4-C54Q_BIwCnoECBcQCA, but you must ask in the council conditions, because, despite there are several rooms, it was being used as camping area. It depends on the legal contract they have nowadays: https://concellodemoana.org/
I suggest you to continue the route above (of wikiloc). It passes besides Castiñeiras Lake: https://www.google.com/maps/place/L...aa293084f143d91a!8m2!3d42.362586!4d-8.6746706
You can see other ferries here: In summer it is possible to take the ferry from Baiona to Cies Islands (if you are interested on spending a day there), https://www.mardeons.es/es/ and going then to Moaña from Cies thanks to https://www.piratasdenabia.com/.

Thanks so much Iago, I've checked ferries and Baiona-Cies is not operative until 29 of June, unfortunately a couple of days later than when I needed. The only chance is then Vigo-Moana-Pontevedra which still attracts me way better than the classic stop in Vigo/Redondela.
I will see on site depending on company, best deal would be to find someone to share the path with since I don't like to pass through woods alone out of the beaten tracks.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I've now managed to process and upload all the photos taken when I was walking the Portuguese Coastal Camino. Just zoom through them quickly - I know I took too many.
Google have managed to shuffle them in a few places, but they're 99% in chronological order.
In Part I, we walking together along the Atlantic Coast, mainly on the board-walk. This is the link: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Xo8f7ZfgMAbU2macA
In Part II, I was mainly my own, visiting old haunts, with many old memories, and suffering my usual blister problems. This is the link: https://photos.app.goo.gl/3kaWHnt8q3oiqEoY8
  • Left click on the first picture to start seeing them all full screen.
  • Click on the > on the right of the picture to move onto the next one.
  • IMPORTANT: Click on the little 'i' in the circle on right-hand side for information, my comments, and often even a map at the bottom, showing location. etc.
I realise this is too late for Kristie, but someone else might find them useful.
Steve
Very helpful Stephen. Myself and 2 friends are planning to do the Coastal Route next May 2023 - in honor of each of our “milestone” birthdays. :). Appreciate your photos and all that I am reading from other posts in response to Kristie. This will be my 2nd Camino (first back in 2016 on the French Way).
Lisa

Hi Kristie,
-Like Auburnfive I say Porto is worth spending an extra day. Do one of the walking tours.
-Casa Fernanda's is lovely "no wifi - you all talk and get to know each other!" She's on the Central Route and not Coastal though. I ended up moving from Coastal to Central to stay at Fernanda's. I met some lovely people there and walked with many of them. Need reservations.
-I used booking.com and booked a day or two ahead for places that were under 45 euro/night
-it will be hot
-I met more solo women travellers this year than my last two Caminos. My advice - even if you don't want a coffee or water at a bar, pay a euro and ask to use their loo. If nature calls enroute, pack out your TP!
-one more piece of advice - wear your sunscreen and hat! Saw lots of people with burns in May!
Casa Fernanda has wifi

if you do not succeed getting in contact with Fernanda’s, send me a conversion (pm) I am in contact with them several times a week

Attachments

• FC976B6A-B43E-4ED6-A7D1-B6B73870296E.jpeg
    FC976B6A-B43E-4ED6-A7D1-B6B73870296E.jpeg
    5.1 MB · Views: 3
  • 14AB46F8-E4C6-4765-B9BA-E7D5AEBD076E.jpeg
    14AB46F8-E4C6-4765-B9BA-E7D5AEBD076E.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2
  • B3497217-2EEA-4338-873A-978D0831C9F3.jpeg
    B3497217-2EEA-4338-873A-978D0831C9F3.jpeg
    5.8 MB · Views: 2
  • AEF34787-B246-424D-8493-E8CCB2F2C9D6.jpeg
    AEF34787-B246-424D-8493-E8CCB2F2C9D6.jpeg
    6.7 MB · Views: 2
  • 57AB34A3-4A49-41DE-99DC-61AB5E53A8CE.jpeg
    57AB34A3-4A49-41DE-99DC-61AB5E53A8CE.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 3

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! My partner and I are preparing to do around 7 days of the Camino Portuguese route, starting at the end of April. We're flying to Porto from Edinburgh, and looking at the best route to...
Will be walking the CP in Aug/Sep with planning clearly focused to staying (for the most part) on the Litoral. However, (using Brierley's Guide) the stage from A Ramallosa to Vigo sets up quite a...
Doing research for my upcoming Camino, I want to connect from coastal to central in Caminha. According to JB the ecopista is pleasant along the river, but I notice Stingy Nomads recommend the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back