Search 59,165 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.

Camino Portugues costal route

A thought-provoking Camino memoir. This day-by-day account will inspire you.
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.
Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store
Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets

Stephen Nicholls

Steve Nicholls, Suffolk, U.K.
Past OR future Camino
Too many caminos to list in the permitted 100 characters!!
Agree with Albertinho. I'm just back from walking it end of February, but a little later might have been better.

Anne D.

Past OR future Camino
April 2016
Agree with Albertinho. I'm just back from walking it end of February, but a little later might have been better.

How was the experience? Did you see other pilgrims? I’m currently in Porto and I plan to start walking tomorrow, but I can’t decide between the Coastal and Central routes.

Ed Aster

Past OR future Camino
Do the coastal!!, half is on the coast and the other half is inland so you get the benefit of both. I did this last May and thoroughly enjoyed myself, especially the coastal part of the trek.

calmeg

We did the coastal route in June, modified from vigo to Bueu, to pontevedra and then on the spiritual variant. Lovely time, few people, no trouble finding beds, and great weather!

Faribavaziri

Past OR future Camino
Camino de portugese(aug2019)
I know that August is a hot month, maybe too hot to walk??? But we can only do the walk in late August. We are planning to walk the Coasta, any ideas how enjoyable the walk is going to be???

Camino Cups
Create your own ad
€1,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Stephen Nicholls

Steve Nicholls, Suffolk, U.K.
Past OR future Camino
Too many caminos to list in the permitted 100 characters!!
How was the experience? Did you see other pilgrims? I’m currently in Porto and I plan to start walking tomorrow, but I can’t decide between the Coastal and Central routes.
Hi Anne! We saw VERY few other pilgrims - maybe half a dozen during the entire week. I found the coastal path too full of non-pilgrim local walkers, and preferred the central route any day. OK the views of the sea are lovely, but you get bored with that, day after day. Maybe too late for you, Anne, but anyone sending me an e-mail will get a Google-link to all my photos. Meanwhile - enjoy!

Steve.

Pilgrim Pouch carry bags with different designs
A lightweight carry bag handy for walking, biking, traveling, & Caminos
Donation to the Forum

stevov

Past OR future Camino
walked the portuguese way (senda littoral). from porto, vila do conde via viana and redondela Jun 17
I walked it in june 2017 as the indicated temperatures were low to mid 20's. However it turned out to be a heatwave averaging around 30 plus degrees c each day. So as advised above make sure you have say a litre of water with you, start your walk as early in the day as possible. Wear a hat. Use sun cream. You do get the benefit of swimming in the sea if you want but take care on remote beaches as the sea can be wild on this coast.

Thomas Morrison

Past OR future Camino
I am doing St Jean Pied de Port to Pamploma. Arriving in Saint Jean Pied de Port on the 15/9/16. Starting the walk on 16/9/16
I’m starting from porto on the 29th of april 2019 along the coastal route. Will there be a lot of other pilgrims at that time of year.

teresavh

Past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2012; Via di Francesco Assisi to Rome 2015; hope Camino Portugues, coastal May 2019
I never, ever find the route along the coast with sea views to be boring! Living in land-locked Colorado, I always appreciate when I can have days by the sea! I also have lots of photos for your viewing if you wish to see my blog: Camino Portugues starting day Fifteen.
Thank you for your lovely pictures and words! My husband and I will be walking the Coastal Route from Porto starting May 21.

Camino Ky

Past OR future Camino
Camino Frances April/May '2016',
Portuguese Camino '2017',
Camino Frances Dec/Jan '2019/2020'
We walked it in June/July, took the coastal walk then moved inland after day 3 It was a lot warmer inland, no sea breeze. Glorious weather even if a bit hot on a few days. Mostly lovely temps. Loved Portugal.

Thomas Morrison

Past OR future Camino
I am doing St Jean Pied de Port to Pamploma. Arriving in Saint Jean Pied de Port on the 15/9/16. Starting the walk on 16/9/16
Thank you Camino Ky.
just two weeks to go and I cannot wait

Create your own ad
€1,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Camino Cups

Pilger99

Past OR future Camino
addicted since 1999 (Aragones, CF), lots of caminos in Spain and Portugal since then
Will there be a lot of other pilgrims at that time of year?
Well, not a much as in July/August, but a lot compared to January.
As Easter is so late this year, free days in May will be plenty. So expect some more pilgrims than last year.
(Costa Camino Portugues 1.580 (3,89%) vs. Portugues-Camino 8.916 (21,93%). Peak months 2018 had about 2500 vs 11000 pilgrims.)
Many leave Porto on the coastal variant, so the first impression might be "it's full". After Vila do Conde it should be "some company" during the walk and almost full at the albergues. Apart from the albergues there is plenty of other type of inexpensive accomodation (<20€pP), don't worry.
Daylight times in early May will be perfect for leaving late in Galicia (7:30-21:30h) At least no reason to leave at 5am, after waking up anybody else in the albergue.

Thomas Morrison

Past OR future Camino
As Easter is so late this year, free days in May will be plenty. So expect some more pilgrims than last year.
(Costa Camino Portugues 1.580 (3,89%) vs. Portugues-Camino 8.916 (21,93%). Peak months 2018 had about 2500 vs 11000 pilgrims.)
Many leave Porto on the coastal variant, so the first impression might be "it's full". After Vila do Conde it should be "some company" during the walk and almost full at the albergues. Apart from the albergues there is plenty of other type of inexpensive accomodation (<20€pP), don't worry.
Daylight times in early May will be perfect for leaving late in Galicia (7:30-21:30h) At least no reason to leave at 5am, after waking up anybody else in the albergue.
Many thanks pilger99
Thank you Pilger99. That’s very informative. I’m happy to walk alone but it’s pleasant to have a few interesting conversations with like minded pilgrims as you go. Thank you again

walker_wisdom

Past OR future Camino
Portugués - Senda Litoral (2017)

Next Camino - tbc, open to suggestions.
We walked during Easter and really enjoyed it.

coasttrek

Past OR future Camino
Coastal Route - Sept. 2019
Do the coastal!!, half is on the coast and the other half is inland so you get the benefit of both. I did this last May and thoroughly enjoyed myself, especially the coastal part of the trek.
What type of shoes do you suggest? Trail/running shoes or sandals especially for the coastal portion? Thanks in advance.

Ed Aster

Past OR future Camino
I wear Columbia Ventrailia outdry III, very light, great cushion, super toe box, I’m awaiting my 6th pair and enjoy the quality very much.

Buon Camino

Camino Cups
2022 Camino Guides
The 2022 Camino guides will be coming out little by little, most of them by the end of 2021. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 102 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads