• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Portugues costal route

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Agree with Albertinho. I'm just back from walking it end of February, but a little later might have been better.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Agree with Albertinho. I'm just back from walking it end of February, but a little later might have been better.

How was the experience? Did you see other pilgrims? I’m currently in Porto and I plan to start walking tomorrow, but I can’t decide between the Coastal and Central routes.

Do the coastal!!, half is on the coast and the other half is inland so you get the benefit of both. I did this last May and thoroughly enjoyed myself, especially the coastal part of the trek.

We did the coastal route in June, modified from vigo to Bueu, to pontevedra and then on the spiritual variant. Lovely time, few people, no trouble finding beds, and great weather!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I know that August is a hot month, maybe too hot to walk??? But we can only do the walk in late August. We are planning to walk the Coasta, any ideas how enjoyable the walk is going to be???

How was the experience? Did you see other pilgrims? I’m currently in Porto and I plan to start walking tomorrow, but I can’t decide between the Coastal and Central routes.
Hi Anne! We saw VERY few other pilgrims - maybe half a dozen during the entire week. I found the coastal path too full of non-pilgrim local walkers, and preferred the central route any day. OK the views of the sea are lovely, but you get bored with that, day after day. Maybe too late for you, Anne, but anyone sending me an e-mail will get a Google-link to all my photos. Meanwhile - enjoy!

Steve.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I walked it in june 2017 as the indicated temperatures were low to mid 20's. However it turned out to be a heatwave averaging around 30 plus degrees c each day. So as advised above make sure you have say a litre of water with you, start your walk as early in the day as possible. Wear a hat. Use sun cream. You do get the benefit of swimming in the sea if you want but take care on remote beaches as the sea can be wild on this coast.

I’m starting from porto on the 29th of april 2019 along the coastal route. Will there be a lot of other pilgrims at that time of year.

I never, ever find the route along the coast with sea views to be boring! Living in land-locked Colorado, I always appreciate when I can have days by the sea! I also have lots of photos for your viewing if you wish to see my blog: Camino Portugues starting day Fifteen.
Thank you for your lovely pictures and words! My husband and I will be walking the Coastal Route from Porto starting May 21.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We walked it in June/July, took the coastal walk then moved inland after day 3 It was a lot warmer inland, no sea breeze. Glorious weather even if a bit hot on a few days. Mostly lovely temps. Loved Portugal.

Thank you Camino Ky.
just two weeks to go and I cannot wait

Will there be a lot of other pilgrims at that time of year?
Well, not a much as in July/August, but a lot compared to January.
As Easter is so late this year, free days in May will be plenty. So expect some more pilgrims than last year.
(Costa Camino Portugues 1.580 (3,89%) vs. Portugues-Camino 8.916 (21,93%). Peak months 2018 had about 2500 vs 11000 pilgrims.)
Many leave Porto on the coastal variant, so the first impression might be "it's full". After Vila do Conde it should be "some company" during the walk and almost full at the albergues. Apart from the albergues there is plenty of other type of inexpensive accomodation (<20€pP), don't worry.
Daylight times in early May will be perfect for leaving late in Galicia (7:30-21:30h) At least no reason to leave at 5am, after waking up anybody else in the albergue.

As Easter is so late this year, free days in May will be plenty. So expect some more pilgrims than last year.
(Costa Camino Portugues 1.580 (3,89%) vs. Portugues-Camino 8.916 (21,93%). Peak months 2018 had about 2500 vs 11000 pilgrims.)
Many leave Porto on the coastal variant, so the first impression might be "it's full". After Vila do Conde it should be "some company" during the walk and almost full at the albergues. Apart from the albergues there is plenty of other type of inexpensive accomodation (<20€pP), don't worry.
Daylight times in early May will be perfect for leaving late in Galicia (7:30-21:30h) At least no reason to leave at 5am, after waking up anybody else in the albergue.
Many thanks pilger99
Thank you Pilger99. That’s very informative. I’m happy to walk alone but it’s pleasant to have a few interesting conversations with like minded pilgrims as you go. Thank you again

We walked during Easter and really enjoyed it.

Do the coastal!!, half is on the coast and the other half is inland so you get the benefit of both. I did this last May and thoroughly enjoyed myself, especially the coastal part of the trek.
What type of shoes do you suggest? Trail/running shoes or sandals especially for the coastal portion? Thanks in advance.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I wear Columbia Ventrailia outdry III, very light, great cushion, super toe box, I’m awaiting my 6th pair and enjoy the quality very much.

Buon Camino

Most read last week in this forum

Doing research for my upcoming Camino, I want to connect from coastal to central in Caminha. According to JB the ecopista is pleasant along the river, but I notice Stingy Nomads recommend the...
Will be walking the CP in Aug/Sep with planning clearly focused to staying (for the most part) on the Litoral. However, (using Brierley's Guide) the stage from A Ramallosa to Vigo sets up quite a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back