• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Portugues December - January

Vashek

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portugese 2017
Hello everyone,

Walked Camino Portugese in 2017 in July and I loved it. I am from Czech Republic. This time, I feel I need time for my personal reflection and starting from Lisbon on 14.12. Get cheap flight from Prague to Lisbon and return from Compostela to Prague for 140 eur. After some research I manage to get accomodation in all stages including Xmas time. Some of them are albergues and some of them hostels. Planning 2 day stop for rest in Tomar, Coimbra (24.12.) and Porto 31.12.) It will be 30 day journey. Happy to share my experience and also Happy to join anyone who is walking as Well. Will keep you informed.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi
Glad to see I am not the only crazy person walking at this time of year. But I am picking up were I left off in Póvoa de Varzim on the 7th january. I had to cut short my camino from Lisbon as I feel and hurt my ankle and it wasn't settling so hwading back to complete it. Will be a few days behind you though.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Will be starting in Vila do Conde/Povoa de Varzim Jan 16th or 17th, walking the Coastal route. Have never walked in winter and a bit terrified by the abcense of heat in the albergues. Please post if any of the albergues are closed on the way/don't have heat or hot water. Thanks! Bom Caminho to everyone! :)

I walked parts of camino frances in January twice and to be honest most of the albergues did have heating at least for a few hours...though very common to then switch it off at night ...so warm sleeping bag is good idea. But will update on anywhere that is an issue....though I am switching over from coastal at caminha and heading to Valenca

Hi
Glad to see I am not the only crazy person walking at this time of year. But I am picking up were I left off in Póvoa de Varzim on the 7th january. I had to cut short my camino from Lisbon as I feel and hurt my ankle and it wasn't settling so hwading back to complete it. Will be a few days behind you though.
I have to reschedule my walk, so I am starting 8.1. in Lisabon :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi, I'll be starting in Porto on the 16th of January. No booking accomodation, just going with the flow.
Hello,

I rescheduled my walk due to family reasons. Starting now 8.1. from Lisabon. Will be in Porto 23.1. :) safe walk :) because christmas festivals will be over I am not worring about accommodation as well :) lets see what will happen. V

Will be starting in Vila do Conde/Povoa de Varzim Jan 16th or 17th, walking the Coastal route. Have never walked in winter and a bit terrified by the abcense of heat in the albergues. Please post if any of the albergues are closed on the way/don't have heat or hot water. Thanks! Bom Caminho to everyone! :)

Hello :)

I rescheduled my walk due to family reasons. Starting now 8.1. from Lisabon. Will be in Porto 23.1. :) safe walk :) because christmas festivals will be over I am not worring about accommodation as well :) lets see what will happen. I am taking sleeping bag (have one to -5C so it should be safe)

Bom Caminho :)

Most Albergues are at least 50-55 F, we found an ultra light 40 F bag sufficed for warmth and if not a good base layer ( long-johns)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Most Albergues are at least 50-55 F, we found an ultra light 40 F bag sufficed for warmth and if not a good base layer ( long-johns)
Thanks a lot!

Came back from coastal Camino Porto to Santiago with the extention to Espiritual after Ponteverda. Took us 12 days in total. We've found all albergues on the way adecuate in winter. Thick blankets in many of them, heaters in all of them, in some more then in others, so it was ok to sleep in a light 2 season sleeping bag with a woolen nightware. The olny cold one was in Viana de Castello with just one heater for the 4 of us trying to dry everything after having walked in torrential rain for about 6hrs. Here is my day by day blog, it's in Russian but pics speak for themselves :) https://anna-camino.livejournal.com/5457.html

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back