• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Portugues from Lisbon

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Annie, so happy to hear it´s going well. You've got great company with Brenda and Gil. Hugs to all of you.

Based on Karen and Dayton's experience a few days ago, you may have some problems with Santarem to Golega, hope you can take good notes so we can revise the guide -- if you can figure it out, that is! ;) This is the section where Pombalinho and Azinhaga are at odds over the marking, and Karen's description sounds like it was a frustrating day. Sandy is a day ahead, I think, so maybe you will run into her. Bom caminho to you all, Laurie

Annie, so happy to hear it´s going well. You've got great company with Brenda and Gil. Hugs to all of you.

Based on Karen and Dayton's experience a few days ago, you may have some problems with Santarem to Golega, hope you can take good notes so we can revise the guide -- if you can figure it out, that is! ;) This is the section where Pombalinho and Azinhaga are at odds over the marking, and Karen's description sounds like it was a frustrating day. Sandy is a day ahead, I think, so maybe you will run into her. Bom caminho to you all, Laurie

Thank you for your comments.
Actually I walked today from Santarem to Pombalinho without no problem when it comes to the way marking.

Quite soon after you cross the rail tracks in Santarem you take to the right and walk your Camino over the cultivated land till just a few km before Vale de Figueira. The last kms are road walking. A local man from Santarem walked with us quite a bit and maybe that is why we do not think it was hard to find the arrows.

The first bar after Santarem is in Vale de F.
Then continue the yellow arrows through more cultivated land almost to Pombalinho. The last kms before P are road walking.
The next bar is in Pompalinho.
The Brierley guide 2014 is quite accurate concerning this etapa before Pombalinho.

The only problem right now is the heat because there are no other bars than those two I mentioned and there is nowhere to rest unless you want to lie down on the ground! Very little shade. Not many trees giving shade. But all is ok if you carry lots of water. It is off-season and all the bars are not open every day. The sun is burning hot so I am wearing long sleeves and SPF 50. I walked to Pombalinho and took the train back to Santarem and I am enjoying my time on the Camino right now at the Santarem Hostel for the second night in a row. Wonderful!

I don't think I will walk the 10 km before Golega tomorrow but it should not be a problem - follow the road.

The problem between Golega and Tomar are the missing yellow arrows and therefore poor way marking because eucalyptus forrest which has been cut down and the way marking has disappeared. That is what I have heard - I don't know if it is true!

Bon caminho
Annie

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
That looks like Bacalhau a Gomes de Sa. yum yum!!!!!!!!
Yes, yesterday we were having delicious bacalhau with onion, garlic, egg, parsley, potatoes, olives and lots of olive oil. Bread, vino, coffee. And all that in good company of @Gil A and Brenda, Mario and his wife.

Oh, thank you Annie, your comments have gone straight into my files for next year´s edition!

In that eucalyptus forest, if you can find the high voltage electricity transformer after crossing over the highway, you will be fine. Just look straight down, and the village you see below you is Grou. It´s a steep descent, but that´s where you want to go. Good luck amiga!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I walked today from Malo de Miraido (Pompalinho) where I stopped walking yesterday. And stopped walking in Atalaia.
So tomorrow morning back to Atalaia and walk from there to Tomar.
We have heard from several pilgrims that the way marking through the eucalyptus forest is good.

Will meet up tonight in Tomar with Lee Ray and Annemarie who are tonight staying at the Casa Patriarca and tomorrow walking to Tomar to the same hostel than me ( I have booked 3 nights).

I don't know where Sandy is right now.

Saturday evening planning for dinner with Gil and Brenda inTomar.

I am walking with Kirsten from Holland the three coming days and using the pick up service and cutting down the etapa after Tomar in two shorter days.

Today's walk from Pombalinho was ok.
See the pictures.
The weather is cooling down- only 27 today. Definitely not much shade.

Before Golega I walkedtheBrierley's alternative green route which is not way marked at all. Walking on Tarmac most of the time but through farm land and I traffic at all. Used google maps to see that I was walking in the right direction.
Recommend this route as a very good alternative for road walking along a busy arrow road to Golega.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Ok - I walked through the eucalyptus forrest today. Kirsten and I started walking at 0820 this morning from Atalaia.
You walk down from the church, follow the yellow arrows up the hill and down across the highway.

Problems are here - somehow it is to see when to turn right steep uphill - there is an arrow formed of stones and painted yellow but you have to go real close to understand that you have to turn right uphill! And not continue straight ahead.

Continue as Brierley says till you come to a crossroads. Brierley tells us to take the central path - there are actually only two paths going forward. No yellow arrows at all. We continued straight ahead (this is what JB calls central path) and after a pretty long while there is a sign to the left and immediately right down into valley.

So the hardest part is from the big yellow arrow made of painted stones to the Quinta. After the Quinta everything is clear.

I was walking with Kirsten and two pairs of eyes were necessary to find to way.

It is a lovely walk with lots of shade and refreshing breeze in the heat way.

We met the two Virginians and Gil and Brenda en route today.

And we have little Camino family here in Tomar now.

Abrazos,
Annie

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back