• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Portugues from Lisbon

Marco Thelen

Time of past OR future Camino
Walking the Camino de Frances in March 2017
I am starting my second Camino in Lisbon on March 1st. I've been looking on the internet about information about the camino Portuguese but everything directs me to Porto to Santiago. Has anyone on here started in Lisbon? And if so where exactly did you start? Could you also walk the coastal way from Lisbon or that just from Porto? How are the albergues in comparison to on the French Way, as in are they plentiful or scarce? How is the wine compared to the Spanish lol?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am starting my second Camino in Lisbon on March 1st. I've been looking on the internet about information about the camino Portuguese but everything directs me to Porto to Santiago. Has anyone on here started in Lisbon? And if so where exactly did you start? Could you also walk the coastal way from Lisbon or that just from Porto? How are the albergues in comparison to on the French Way, as in are they plentiful or scarce?
Plenty of people walk between Lisbon and Porto but the Camino there follows the ancient and traditional Central route via Santarem, Tomar, Coimbra, etc. Of course you can also walk on the coast but that won't be a Camino as such, more like a hike rather then a pilgrimage, there are no albergues and other pilgrim infrastructure there. The Central way betwen Lisbon and Porto is popular and busy in season, maybe not as much as the Porto to Santiago stretch but it has all the infrastructure in place. The list of albergues and other accommodation options: https://www.vialusitana.org/caminho/albergues I walked from Santarem which is 3 walking days from Lisbon and loved this Camino! It has a totally different feel then Porto-Santaiago stretch, more quiet and introspective but it's possible to meet people and even form a Camino family if you want company. You can find plenty of info on the this forum re starting from Lisbon in the Camino Portugues section, not in the subforum Coastal Camino from Lisbon where you'd posted it. Hope that helps! Bom Caminho! :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We used the Wise Pilgrim guide and app for a lot of our research and planning. Other sources included the Internet, forums and so on.

Our Itinerary (Cut and pasted from MS Word) Bear in mind that prices shown are 2017 prices. Quite a few places from Lisbon to Tomar were booked in adavance before leaving Australia. We took the coastal route from Porto to SdC and that was fantastic. From memory, I think my kilometerages were out a bit so you might want to carefully check them.

Day 3 Sat 09 Sep Lisbon
Day 4 Sun 10 Sep Lisbon
Day 5 Mon 11 Sep Lisbon to Alpriate 22.5km Overnight in Alburgue de Perigrinos de Alpriate
Day 6 Tue 12 Sep Alpriate to Vila Franca de Xira 20km Overnight in Hostal DP 40Eur inc BF
Day 7 Wed 13 Sep Vila Franca to Azambuja 20Km Overnight in Alburgue de Santa Casa de Misericordia da Azambuja
Day 8 Thu 14 Sep Azambuja to Porto de Mungo 16.4Km Overnight Casa do Rio, Porto de Mungo
Day 9 Fri 15 Sep Porto de Mungo to Santarem 18.5km
Day 10 Sat 16 Sep Santarem to Azinhaga 24.9km
Day 11 Sun 17 Sep Azinhaga to Vila Nova da Barquinha 15.6Km Overnight Soltejo Hotel Vila Nova da Barquinha 40 Eur inc BF
Day 12 Mon 18 Sep Vila Nova da Barquinha to Tomar 20.5km Stay at Lodge Residence by Vila Palmeira 126 Eur inc BF
Day 13 Tue 19 Sep Rest day Tomar. Total cumulative Kms 158.4
Day 14 Wed 20 Sep Tomar to Alvaiazere 30.9Km Stay at Residencial o Bras 32.5 Eur
Day 15 Thu 21 Sep Alvaiazere to Alvorge 20.4Km
Day 16 Fri 22 Sep Alvorge to Condeixa a Nova 22.5Km
Day 17 Sat 23 Sep Condexia a Nova to Coimbra 16Km
Day 18 Sun 24 Sep Free Day Coimbra
Day 19 Mon 25 Sep Coimbra to Mealhada 22.4km
Day 20 Tue 26 Sep Mealhada to Agueda 25.4km
Day 21 Wed 27 Sep Agueda to Albergaria a Velda 16.3Km
Day 22 Thu 28 Sep Albergara a Velda to Oliveira de Azemeis 21Km
Day 23 Fri 29 Sep Oliveira de Azemeis to Malaposta 17Km
Day 24 Sat 30 Sep Malaposta to Porto 27Km
Day 25 Sun 01 Oct Free day Porto
Day 26 Mon 02 Oct Free day Porto

Hope this helps

Cheers

Graham

There is a coastal pilgrimage from Lisbon - the one leading to Fatima. My husband and I will be walking there from December 26th.

There ARE albergues, according to the different Fatima websites, but we're doing the luxury version, since it is likely to be cold, and we want heat and good beds.

We walked the camino from Lisbon via Coimbra etc a few years ago, and enjoyed it immensely. Good albergues, cheap hotels, great food.

I am starting my second Camino in Lisbon on March 1st. I've been looking on the internet about information about the camino Portuguese but everything directs me to Porto to Santiago. Has anyone on here started in Lisbon? And if so where exactly did you start? Could you also walk the coastal way from Lisbon or that just from Porto? How are the albergues in comparison to on the French Way, as in are they plentiful or scarce? How is the wine compared to the Spanish lol?

There is a TON of information on the forum about the route from Lisbon. With the search function (the far right icon on the blue line across the top), you plug in your search terms and will see opinions on each and every aspect of the caminho.

There are a couple of excellent resources too --

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The official pilgrim welcome office in Santiago de Compostela records the name and nationality of every pilgrim who receives the document of completion. As of the end of June 2017, the year’s group of pilgrims predominately followed the classic French route, with 63 percent starting somewhere along it.

I was among the 17 percent of pilgrims choosing the less-traveled Portuguese route, and most of these peregrinos started in Porto (7 percent). Tui is the first city in Spain on the Portuguese Camino, and 5 percent of the pilgrims arriving at Santiago de Compostela started there. I was truly in a minority, since only one out of a hundred pilgrims started at the beginning of the Portuguese route in Lisbon. I was also in a minority as far as the time of the year I walked. The pilgrim office in Santiago received 41,620 pilgrims in June of 2017 and 35,345 in May. Compare those numbers to the mere 1,696 pilgrims processed at the office in February and the 5,176 in March.

Ola pilgrim
the SEARCH function is really a very spiffy tool to utilise. (upper right side on screen) try it and be amazed by the plenty of info regarding your questions.

here are two links of 2014 info. might be antique info by now ... so keep this in mind. - Now there are many more options for accommodations it seems, and nice boardwalks .
enjoy the caminho - and if you can, try not to compare caminos 🤩😎
Bom Caminho -

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Walked it in '17 from Lisbon; starting point is the cathedral. Walked the Coastal for two days from Porto. Albergues are not plentiful.

Did it earlier this year. August time, the infrastructure not so good to start but improves toward Tomar, start at Cathedral and take plenty of water for a lot (second half) is long stretch before rest stop the alburges are far apart but the food is good price and beer/wine of course, enjoy

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I walked from Tomar to Santiago in mid April of this year.
Tomar to Coimbra is quite nice with a mix of soft and hard walking surfaces.
Shortly North of Coimbra to Porto is mainly cobblestone and asphalt and quite busy with road traffic.
Lots of places to stay. I mixed my stay with albergues and hotels depending on my mood and walking distances. North of Porto the paths are much less hard surface which is nice.

An earlier contributor mentioned the Fatima camino is coastal from Lisbon to Porto. I have attached the link to that dedicated website. If you look at the map you will notice there is no clear coastal route. The priest who runs that site is very helpful.

JIT

There are two startingpoints in Lisbon. One at a church I forgot the name but if you like I can check it out directly .I can ask my Lisbon and caminhofriend
The other place is the Sé cathedral which was my startingpoint

Last edited:
Plenty of people walk between Lisbon and Porto but the Camino there follows the ancient and traditional Central route via Santarem, Tomar, Coimbra, etc. Of course you can also walk on the coast but that won't be a Camino as such, more like a hike rather then a pilgrimage, there are no albergues and other pilgrim infrastructure there. The Central way betwen Lisbon and Porto is popular and busy in season, maybe not as much as the Porto to Santiago stretch but it has all the infrastructure in place. The list of albergues and other accommodation options: https://www.vialusitana.org/caminho/albergues I walked from Santarem which is 3 walking days from Lisbon and loved this Camino! It has a totally different feel then Porto-Santaiago stretch, more quiet and introspective but it's possible to meet people and even form a Camino family if you want company. You can find plenty of info on the this forum re starting from Lisbon in the Camino Portugues section, not in the subforum Coastal Camino from Lisbon where you'd posted it. Hope that helps! Bom Caminho! :)
thanks for this as I am intending to walk from Lisbon to Porto to Santiago as well and have read so much that its hard to work out which is the best way to go. this helps a lot / thank you

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The Church in Lisbon is the Basilica of the Martyrs in the Chiado section of the city. I started my Portuguese Camino there and got my first stamp "carimbo".

Thanks for this, I didn’t know that. That church is 15 minutes walk from my home on the way to the cathedral, so if I ever do the CP I can make it my first stop!

Thanks for this, I didn’t know that. That church is 15 minutes walk from my home on the way to the cathedral, so if I ever do the CP I can make it my first stop!
The original start of the caminho Português in Lisbon is the church of San Tiago

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My understanding was that the Mártires church was one of two places to buy credenciales, but I did not think it was a traditional starting point. But you could start there, @jungleboy, and stroll on over to the Catedral or Santiago church from there, it will only add a km to your day. And the Cathedral to Alpriate’s albergue is a very manageable 21 or so, so you will be fine. :)

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
OK, we're done packing, and leaving for the airport in two hours. Our lovely friends in Lisbon are picking us up at the airport and giving us a bed for the first night, so this will truly be a luxury pilgrimage.

Buen Camino Amiga Peregrina! Hope to see you in Santiago!
SY

There is a TON of information on the forum about the route from Lisbon. With the search function (the far right icon on the blue line across the top), you plug in your search terms and will see opinions on each and every aspect of the caminho.

There are a couple of excellent resources too --

Wonderful - much appreciated 2nd Camino in the planning 👏👏

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The coastal walk from Estoril was challenging. There was a wildly varyiing number of arrows (including the blue ones for Fatima) and we kept getting lost, until after three days we just gave up and walked using just the GPS. One week brought us to Caldas da Reinha, and we'll continue from there another winter.

One point: NOBODY has a carimbo (=sello). We managed to get two, including one from a church. In one week.

Most read last week in this forum

Dear people, In April, we will cycle from Seville to Santiago de Compostella on our recumbent tandem. It will be our first time cycling a camino and we are really looking forward to it. After...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back