• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Portugues from Tui

Tharina

This will be our first Camino. We need to do a short walk and do not want to walk the crowded French routes. Will the Camino Portugues from Tui be fine?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It will be fine. The terrain from Tui is not difficult in general. The route can be complex, so stay alert for the yellow arrows. They mark the way quite well, but there are a lot of turns in places. There are some hazardous road sections, so reflective/high visibility vests are a good idea.

It will be fine. The terrain from Tui is not difficult in general. The route can be complex, so stay alert for the yellow arrows. They mark the way quite well, but there are a lot of turns in places. There are some hazardous road sections, so reflective/high visibility vests are a good idea.
Thank you so much! Second question............ Do we need to book through a travel agent? We are experienced travelers and think it will be cheaper if we can do all the bookings on our own via the Internet

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
There is not much to book. Most of the places along the way do not take reservations. For those that do, just call ahead the day before (or have the hospitalero call ahead for you). A travel agent cannot add anything to what you can do on the internet. I have found booking.com very useful in places with hotels.

There is not much to book. Most of the places along the way do not take reservations. For those that do, just call ahead the day before (or have the hospitalero call ahead for you). A travel agent cannot add anything to what you can do on the internet. I have found booking.com very useful in places with hotels.
Thank you so much

Tharina - good to see you on the Forum!
I think the Portuguese route from Tui will suit you perfectly. It is certainly less busy than the French route, yet you will meet other pilgrims on the way.
You can check out my 2011 walking from Tui, in the diary Pilgrimage I which is downloadable in Word .doc format from my web site.
Buen camino!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
This will be our first Camino. We need to do a short walk and do not want to walk the crowded French routes. Will the Camino Portugues from Tui be fine?

Hola Tharina

This is a nice route. I do day walks on it because it is accessible from Santiago. Whilst you can make your own bookings of course, depending on when you are going and how busy it is you might want the comfort of using an agency to plan everything. The Camino Travel Centre http://caminotravelcenter.com/ organise a lot of pilgrims on this route. I'd get a quote from them and compare it to whatever you research yourself.

Buen camino

John

Tharina - good to see you on the Forum!
I think the Portuguese route from Tui will suit you perfectly. It is certainly less busy than the French route, yet you will meet other pilgrims on the way.
You can check out my 2011 walking from Tui, in the diary Pilgrimage I which is downloadable in Word .doc format from my web site.
Buen camino!
Hi Stephen, liked reading your summary on your website. We only have 4 days to walk, my daughter and I are taking this opportunity between when she gets out of school in Berlin, and the rest of the family meets us in Prague. She will fly in the morning from Berlin to wherever we start on April 27, then we fly out on May 2 to Prague. That leaves us 4 days between the two days for transportation. I realize we won't be getting a Compostela, but we still will be walking on the Camino! Any suggestions on where to walk that is accessible to transportation to/from an airport? Like Tharyn, we would prefer to not walk the more crowded French route, espec. since we will only be walking for 4 days.

Hi Stephen, liked reading your summary on your website. We only have 4 days to walk, my daughter and I are taking this opportunity between when she gets out of school in Berlin, and the rest of the family meets us in Prague. She will fly in the morning from Berlin to wherever we start on April 27, then we fly out on May 2 to Prague. That leaves us 4 days between the two days for transportation. I realize we won't be getting a Compostela, but we still will be walking on the Camino! Any suggestions on where to walk that is accessible to transportation to/from an airport? Like Tharyn, we would prefer to not walk the more crowded French route, espec. since we will only be walking for 4 days.
Hi Jannh!
I think Johnnie Walkers comments above are absolutelt right. I'm not sure what to say about 'accessibility to transportation' in relation to a four day walk :) But .... be warned [you and Tharina] you are taking the first steps to a long, long camino love affair!
Buen camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hola Tharina

This is a nice route. I do day walks on it because it is accessible from Santiago. Whilst you can make your own bookings of course, depending on when you are going and how busy it is you might want the comfort of using an agency to plan everything. The Camino Travel Centre http://caminotravelcenter.com/ organise a lot of pilgrims on this route. I'd get a quote from them and compare it to whatever you research yourself.

Buen camino

John
Thank you John - I will appreciate it.

If you walk from Tui (114km) to Santiago, you will still be able to get your Compostela. You just have to have your Credential. The minimal distance its 100km to get it. You have extra 14km, so you are inside of the mark.

What stages are you going to do? Just to warn you that the Albergue in Mós it's closed right now to maintenance and that they don't know how much time it will take. So it's O Porriño, Redondela or Pontevedra. Just take care with the entire km that you have to walk, and try not to stress those feet!

Everything will be good :)

Best Regards
Diogo

Hi! I think that 4 days is a bit tough. Personally I planned to walk from Tui to Redondela (30km) and wasn't able to do it... Why don't you start in Redondela and do the usual stages (redondela-potevedra-caldas de reis-padron-santiago)? It will still be nice and you will enjoy the walking much more than if you have to walk 30km each day!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thank you Diego and Catarina. I think even Tui to Santiago will be pushing it for me. I don't want to stress about having to walk perhaps 7-8 hrs for the 4 days. I've been looking at starting in Leon and going on to Astorga. There is a train to get back and forth from Madrid. I'll start another thread since this one is about starting in Tui.

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back