• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Portugués in June in running shoes?

dmalygin

Time of past OR future Camino
First time walker - planned for Jun 2023
Hi all and sorry for yet another footwear topic :)
I'm planning to do my first Camino
My plan is to walk in my Skechers GoRun2. Although they're very old, and not really a hiking boots, I love them - they are weightless, breathing, and fit well. I did a 6-day cross-country hike (low mountains, 50/50 rocks/dirt trails, 15-25 km a day with a backpack of ~15 kg, hot/dry weather) in this pair and hadn't any issue.
To be safe, I'd buy a pair of sandals, switching to them when possible.
For me this plan seems sound, but having read here a lot about cobblestones, boots, cushion, support, etc., I'm started to hesitate.
I really don't like to buy heavy boots just to have them behind my back, but if there would be any reasonable arguments against my plan, I'd really consider that.
Would love to hear any opinion, thanks in advance for your thoughts.
The route would be CP from Lisbon, this June. I'm quite young (40+), no major health issues, not overweight and my backpack would be definitely < 7 kg

Attachments

• IMG_7675.JPG
    IMG_7675.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 3,943
Last edited by a moderator:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I think your question is a fair one. If you want to know - I hope you do - I would take a pair of good walking sandals as well, and if possible let them be for after arriving at your destination for the day. Wear them in before you go. I honestly cannot say what the ground did to my feet when I walked from Oporto, too long ago! I generally wear Meindl boots come fair weather or foul, and some class of smart wool socks, any brand. Some people walk only in boots, some in shoes, some in sandals. It sounds like you are all prepared and I hope you manage to report back with zero blisters! Buen camino.

If it works for you then it’s what you should do. Everyone has their individual preference. This year, on my 4th Camino, I discovered I could walk a fair distance with Ecco hiking sandals. But I always carry a good pair of hiking shoes. I alternate. Socks with 80% wool is best for me. I once did a very long walk with runners. My feet got absolutely shredded and I never did that again. By the way, you can buy hiking shoes along the way if your skechers don’t cut it.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Go for it. My daughter walked with me from SJPDP to Pamplona in running shoes and was just fine. You've already done some long distance and multiple day hiking in them, so it seems they work for you. Sandals as a back up is always a good idea, just in case you need them.

Wear whatever works for you and what has worked for you in the past.
You will see pilgrims wearing and completing the Camino in all manner of footwear. There's no one combination.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Your plan is sound. I ended up donating my boots about 10 days into my first CF (too hot, causing feet to blister badly). Never looked back. I write only as a word of caution: I would replace your "very old" shoes with new ones. 500 miles is about all you are going to get out of a pair of running shoes before the foam in the midsole collapses and the performance (and your feet) really suffer.

I have done the two pairs of shoes--running shoes plus Keen sandals. I no longer do. The weight is not worth it for me. Now just Hoka running shoes. YMMV.

This is true! When I did the CP I got some gel inserts which really helped cushion my feet and I didn't have issues. And wear whatever shoe works best for you. BC
Not a caminho walker (as yet) but do a lot of walking day to day when we live in central Portugal. (We don't have a car.)

I mostly wear good hiking runners of various brands. I've found recently that the gel insoles/inserts make a big difference to your feet's condition at the end of the day, on all the cobblestoned sidewalks/pavements and various hard road surfaces. There ARE a lot!

If you don't have a preferred type of insole, most "China stores" which you will find in any settlement small-town-size and up, sell generic ones that do okay, for about 4 euros. The quantity of these insoles you see in the stores, in all women's and men's sizes, suggests that locals use them a lot as well.

Bom caminho!

My plan is to walk in my Skechers GoRun2. Although they're very old, and not really a hiking boots, I love them - they are weightless, breathing, and fit well. I did a 6-day cross-country hike (low mountains, 50/50 rocks/dirt trails, 15-25 km a day with a backpack of ~15 kg, hot/dry weather) in this pair and hadn't any issue.
For me this plan seems sound, but having read here a lot about cobblestones, boots, cushion, support, etc., I'm started to hesitate.
I really don't like to buy heavy boots just to have them behind my back, but if there would be any reasonable arguments against my plan, I'd really consider that.
The route would be CP from Lisbon, this June. I'm quite young (40+), no major health issues, not overweight and my backpack would be definitely < 7 kg
Hi there, each of the 3 part Caminos (Lisbon to Tui last year) I have done was walked in Asics trainers and they did me fine. First pair I used in 2014 had also been my field hockey shoes for the two previous seasons so they had plenty of miles on them already! I did another in 2018 and again were old Asics and last year again another pair. Three different pairs over the 8 years. So if they work for you just use them I'd say. Happy walking 🥾🥾

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
BOM caminho.Your shoes could be replaced in Porto, sounds good for you. It took me 6 weeks to walk to Santiago from Lisbon in 2019 but I'd be more concerned about finding enough water each day! Don't forget the Vaseline on your feet every day. Ch

Wow, thanks a lot everyone, so much input!
The idea of getting a new pair of the same model is great, I'll go for it
Thanks and bom caminho!

Hike in Sandals!!!! Over the last few years I hiked the Arles route (from Arles to Spain) , the Le Puy route (from le Puy to Pamplona) and the GR653D (from Briancon to Arles) All these Camino routes are in France, over a variety of terrain. The only thing I've worn are Keen sandals that have good ankle and arch support. They have served me very well!! My feet have stayed aerated and I never worried about getting blisters. I'm in my mid 60s, I carried up to 25 lb. (15 kg) (often I carried a tent and I like having a couple of beer at the end of the day) and I walked an average of 30km. per day. I carried a pair of flipflops to wear after I hiked.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I walked the Portuguese last year and saw a number of pilgrims wearing Hoka / On Cloud trainers. The going underfoot in the summer is dry and easy going.

I wore Merrell Moabs for my Camino and had no issues. I wouldn't wear hiking boots. After my Camino, I happened to try Hoka One One Bondis, which feel like walking on marshmallows, and thought they would be even better.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.