• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Portugues in March/April

Gene Reinecke

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2018
Hello
Thinking of starting in Lisbon March 15th.
Can anybody give me insight into weather/wind/albuerges or hotels this time of year?
Thanks in advance

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I just completed the Portuguese from Lisbon yesterday in 24 days. Loved it. Very quiet. For the first 7 days I saw no one. Perfect for solitary contemplation. Most albergues will be open but the first one at Alpirate may not be. STRONG recommendation... do stay at Fernando’s at Lugo past Porto. My best night on the Portuguese. It’s a good idea to call ahead and book as it’s a small Albergue. Fernando speaks good English. If Alpirate is closed you can walk on to Alhandra and sleep in the fire station. I rather suggest catching the train out of Lisbon to Sacavém and start there as the walk is mostly through industrial areas. North of Porto it gets busier and north of Tui it’s even more so but still quiet compared to the Francis. Lots of walking on cobble stones which is hard going.

I left Lissie in early April. The weather was perfect.
Two weeks before that a fellow pilgrim messaged me that he had just left Lissie and it was cold, windy and raining.
You take your chances I guess.
I'd check an online weather site with monthly climate records to give a perspective on what you are in for, then compare that with current forecasts.
Get some good quality, spongy innersoles to deal with the cobbles.
Good travelling & bom Caminho,
Gerard

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I just completed the Portuguese from Lisbon yesterday in 24 days. Loved it. Very quiet. For the first 7 days I saw no one. Perfect for solitary contemplation. Most albergues will be open but the first one at Alpirate may not be. STRONG recommendation... do stay at Fernando’s at Lugo past Porto. My best night on the Portuguese. It’s a good idea to call ahead and book as it’s a small Albergue. Fernando speaks good English. If Alpirate is closed you can walk on to Alhandra and sleep in the fire station. I rather suggest catching the train out of Lisbon to Sacavém and start there as the walk is mostly through industrial areas. North of Porto it gets busier and north of Tui it’s even more so but still quiet compared to the Francis. Lots of walking on cobble stones which is hard going.

Hi, robproct,
I will throw in a dissenting view on the walk out of Lisbon. I don’t think Lisbon to Sacavém is mainly through industrial areas. The route starts at the cathedral, winds through the Alfama (old moorish district), past the tile museum, through the old port area with some gorgeous modernist buildings, and gets to the Parque das Naçoes with its long river walk. There are some busy, not pretty parts, but I wouldn’t call them industrial. From Sacavém to Alpriate is actually more of a slog, I think, but I liked the part before Sacavém.

I was interested to hear that the bombeiros in Alhandra are still taking in peregrinos. I know many of them have had to close their doors to pilgrims just because of all the numbers. Did you sleep in the bombeiros frequently? Bom caminho, Laurie

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back