• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Portugues itineraries

Carmenvb

Time of past OR future Camino
Portugese 2019
Hi, I am new to this. Planning to do Camino in September. Wanted to do coastal up to Vila do Condo and then crossing back to central. Problems is the following: had 3 ops in past 14 months, so I don’t want to have to long stages. Saying this, I have 11 days. So average of 25km a day. Also, I would love to stay at Fernanda.

Plan so far is:
Matoshinos to Vila do Conde 20
VdC to Barcelos 32
Barcelos to Luga do Congo 19
LdC to Rubiaes 32
Rubiaes to Tui 20
Tui to Porrino 18
Porrino to Redondela 16
Redondela to Pontevedra 20
Pontevedra to Calas de Reis 22
Caldas de Reis to Padron 19
Padron to Santiago 25

But then I miss Ponte de Lima

Please help

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi, I am new to this. Planning to do Camino in September. Wanted to do coastal up to Vila do Condo and then crossing back to central. Problems is the following: had 3 ops in past 14 months, so I don’t want to have to long stages. Saying this, I have 11 days. So average of 25km a day. Also, I would love to stay at Fernanda.

Plan so far is:
VdC to Barcelos 32
LdC to Rubiaes 32
Rubiaes to Tui 20
Tui to Porrino 18
Porrino to Redondela 16
Padron to Santiago 25

Please help
If you are an experienced walker maybe you make it from Casa da Fernanda .
Lugar do Corgo is the name of her house- she lives in Vitorino dos Piães) to Rubiães -From Ponte de Lima you will walk a partly off road trail with lot of climbing to the highest point of the Portugese caminho. The part of about 10 kms has nothing to offer other than rocks, woods. No bars or restaurants or so.

If you have 11 days take the train to Barcelos and start from there walking to Casa da Fernanda.
From Fernanda to Ponte de Lima
PdL to Rubiães
Rubiães to Valença do Minho or Tui
Tui to o Porriño
O Porriño to Redondela or better to Cessantes o refúxio de la Jérezana
Cessantes to Pontevedra
Pontevedra to Caldas de Reis
Caldas de Reis to Padrón
Padrón to Santiago

Much better plan and more relaxed

Passa bem e bom caminho

Plan so far is:
VdC to Barcelos 32
LdC to Rubiaes 32
Rubiaes to Tui 20
Tui to Porrino 18
Porrino to Redondela 16
Padron to Santiago 25

Please help
Completely understand you not wanting to over-do it with your medical issues, but if you possibly can adjust your itinerary, try not to miss Ponte de Lima...its an amazing place & one of the highlights of the Caminho Portugues. The gardens, the bridge with classical music playing, the river, the Praca, shady boulevards, the stone buildings...
It will be worth any detours, side-tracking, back-tracking or maybe a longer day to include it.
Happy planning 👣 🌏

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You could just do the traditional Central Route, easily in 11 days. You would skip Matosinhos, and go first to
Vairão and stay at the monastery there, a gorgeous place near, Vilarinho and on from there. If you want to see my stages start with day fifteen. Some of the stages are long, but if you read the articles, I make alternative suggestions. Buen Camino!

Here's our itinerary from 2017 (distances from Brierley guidebook):

Day Km (Miles) From/To Total Km (Miles)

1 12.1 (7.5) Porto to Matoshinos (via river/shore) 12.1 (7.5)

2 14.6 (9.1) Matoshinos to Vila Chã 26.7 (16.6)

3 21.9 (13.6) Vila Chã to Rates 48.6 (30.2)

4 16.3 (10.1) Rates to Barcelos 64.9 (40.3)

5 20.0 (12.4) Barcelos to Lugar de Corgo 84.9 (52.7)

6 14.7 (9.1) Lugar de Corgo to Ponte de Lima 99.6 (61.8)

7 18.6 (11.5) Ponte de Lima to Rubiães 118.2 (73.3)

8 20.3 (12.6) Rubiães to Tui 138.5 (85.9)

9 19.3 (12.0) Tui to O Porriño 157.8 (98.0)

10 15.5 (9.6) O Porriño to Redondela 173.3 (107.6)

11 20.2 (12.5) Redondela to Pontevedra 193.5 (120.2)

12 22.2 (13.8) Pontevedra to Caldas de Reis 215.7 (134.0)

12 24.5 (15.2) Caldas de Reis to A Esclavitude 240.2 (149.2)

14 19.2 (11.9) A Esclavitude to Santiago 259.4 (161.1)

Sorry the table format of the original does not translate to the forum format.

I'm with Albertinho. On the one hand, I'm reading you've recently had surgery and want to avoid long stages. On the other hand, I'm reading you need to do it in 11 days and have several 30+ km days. Better to start at Barcelos and not push yourself too hard. That will still give you more than enough for a Compostela.

If you want to walk the route you started with (Senda Litoral from Porto to Vila do Conde and then over to the Central Route to Santiago) and not push yourself after 3 operations in 14 months, give yourself two weeks, along the lined of what jmcarp has suggested, although I would stop at Padrón instead of A Esclavitude, and perhaps check out where St. James preached on the hillside and try some Padrón peppers.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Th
You could just do the traditional Central Route, easily in 11 days. You would skip Matosinhos, and go first to
Vairão and stay at the monastery there, a gorgeous place near, Vilarinho and on from there. If you want to see my stages start with day fifteen. Some of the stages are long, but if you read the articles, I make alternative suggestions. Buen Camino!
Thanks so much, assume my itinerary will still change a thousand times

I'm with Albertinho. On the one hand, I'm reading you've recently had surgery and want to avoid long stages. On the other hand, I'm reading you need to do it in 11 days and have several 30+ km days. Better to start at Barcelos and not push yourself too hard. That will still give you more than enough for a Compostela.

If you want to walk the route you started with (Senda Litoral from Porto to Vila do Conde and then over to the Central Route to Santiago) and not push yourself after 3 operations in 14 months, give yourself two weeks, along the lined of what jmcarp has suggested, although I would stop at Padrón instead of A Esclavitude, and perhaps check out where St. James preached on the hillside and try some Padrón peppers.
Thanks

I just decided to do 12 days, just to give myself a little more time. Waited so long to this.

If you are an experienced walker maybe you make it from Casa da Fernanda .
Lugar do Corgo is the name of her house- she lives in Vitorino dos Piães) to Rubiães -From Ponte de Lima you will walk a partly off road trail with lot of climbing to the highest point of the Portugese caminho. The part of about 10 kms has nothing to offer other than rocks, woods. No bars or restaurants or so.

If you have 11 days take the train to Barcelos and start from there walking to Casa da Fernanda.
From Fernanda to Ponte de Lima
PdL to Rubiães
Rubiães to Valença do Minho or Tui
Tui to o Porriño
O Porriño to Redondela or better to Cessantes o refúxio de la Jérezana
Cessantes to Pontevedra
Pontevedra to Caldas de Reis
Caldas de Reis to Padrón
Padrón to Santiago

Much better plan and more relaxed

Passa bem e bom caminho
Thanks,

What do you think of the following:
Matosinhos to Vila do Conde
VdC to Pedra Furada
Pedra Furada to Antonia
And the rest as you suggested?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The coastal route has less hills and the (inofficial) "litoral" variant has almost none. It's only a few km longer than the central route, so leaving Porto with the metro and start in the outskirts (Matosinhos) will make it equal. Another benefit comes from the touristic infrastructure. At least from May to September you will find a lot of inexpensive accomodation along the coastal caminho. Basically in all villages along the coast.
After Viana do Castelo you can take the train to skip some part of the Caminho towards Valenca or even come back to Tamel or Barcelos if you want.

32km to Rubiaes would be a challenge, as you pass the first and only "mountain" since Porto. Most people are happy to do only Ponte de Lima - Rubiaes (<20km). If you walk from Lisbon to Fatima you have some more hills and climbs and therefore a better training. But still, compared to other routes the Portugues Coastal and Central can be considered "flat".

Maybe you ignore the spanish section and come back another time for that. That gives you a lot more choices.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back