• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Portugues Itinerary?

green_spork

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portugues
Aug/Sept (2017)
Good Evening,
Fellow Pilgrims

I am currently planning to walk my first Camino from Porto to Santiago/Finisterra/Muxia in August.

I have the current John Brierley guide which I have been using for my initial research, in addition to reading older forum members posts.

I wish to start from the Cathedral in Porto before following the Senda Litoral to Vila Do Conde and then rejoining the central route.

The main problem I have found is linking each stage together to fit my time frame without going under/over a reasonable walking distance!
As such I have had to include some +30km days!

I am in my late 30s' with good overall fitness, gym 3 times a week, and tend to walk most places!

I have 16 days to walk, not including arrival/departure days!

I have created an Itinerary from the information I have resourced so far and would greatly appreciate any feedback/suggestions on any aspects of the route I have selected.

Sat 19 Aug: Arrive Porto (late evening)
Sun 20 : Porto (Sightseeing/Last minute supplies)

(Camino Begins)

Mon 21 : Porto' Cathedral - Villa do Conde 33km (Via Matosinhos)

Tue 22 : Vila do conde - Barcelos 27km

Wed 23 : Barcelos - Ponte de Lima 30km

Thu 24 : Ponte de Lima - Rubiates 20km

Fri 25 : Rubiates - O'Porrino 34km

Sat 26 : O'Porrino - Pontevedra 35km

Sun 27 : Pontevedra - Caldas de Reis 22km

Mon 28 : Caldas de Reis - Padron 20km

Tue 29 : Padron - Santiago de Compostela 20km

Wed 30 : Santiago de Compostela (Free Day)

Thu 31 : Santiago de Compostela - Negreira 21km

Fri 1 Sept : Negreira - Oliveiroa 33km

Sat 2 : Oliveiroa - Muxia 32km

Sun 3 : Muxia - Finisterra 29km

Mon 4 : Finisterra (Free Day)

(Camino Ends)

Tue 5 : Finisterra - Santiago de Compostela BUS, (Free Day)

Wed 6 : Depart for Airport, Santago de Compostela

Thank you once again, Bom Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Good Evening,
Fellow Pilgrims

I am currently planning to walk my first Camino from Porto to Santiago/Finisterra/Muxia in August.

I have the current John Brierley guide which I have been using for my initial research, in addition to reading older forum members posts.

I wish to start from the Cathedral in Porto before following the Senda Litoral to Vila Do Conde and then rejoining the central route.

The main problem I have found is linking each stage together to fit my time frame without going under/over a reasonable walking distance!

I am in my late 30s' with good overall fitness, gym 3 times a week, and tend to walk most places!

I have created an Itinerary from the information I have resourced so far and would greatly appreciate any feedback/suggestions on any aspects of the route I have selected.

(Camino Begins)

(Camino Ends)

Are you ok not going to Fisterra? Try this:

1. Porto to Matosinhos, including visiting Porto
2. Matosinhos to Vila do Conde
3. Rates
4. Barcelos
5. Casa Fernanda
6. Ponte de Lima
7. Rubiaes
8. Valenca/Tui
9.O'Porino
10. Albergue La Jerezana or town of Arcade
11. Ponferrada
Then I took the Variante espiritual:
12: Armenteira
13:Vilanova de Arousa
14: The monastery
15: Santiago

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am also walking from Porto to Santiago. I intend to start from the Cathedral in Porto on September 7 to Vila do Conde and then head inland to the Camino Central to Rates. I would like to make a peaceful and leisurely walk of 12 days. I am wondering if anyone can give me info about alburgues to stay in that would result in shorter walking distances than green spork is planning....thanks and I hope to meet many of you in September.

3. Rates
4. Barcelos
5. Casa Fernanda
6. Ponte de Lima
7. Rubiaes
8. Valenca/Tui
9.O'Porino
11. Ponferrada

Thanks for the ideas. I am right now looking at the Brierly book to view the distances, alburgues etc. I loved my experience of the Camino Frances in 2013. It was life changing and I am looking forward to more!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am also walking from Porto to Santiago. I intend to start from the Cathedral in Porto on September 7 to Vila do Conde and then head inland to the Camino Central to Rates. I would like to make a peaceful and leisurely walk of 12 days. I am wondering if anyone can give me info about alburgues to stay in that would result in shorter walking distances than green spork is planning....thanks and I hope to meet many of you in September.
The problem with wanting to walk shorter distances is that you will need to have more walking days. You can't have it both ways I'm afraid.

The John Brierley guidebook, sold on this Forum, will give you a lot of information on albergues and is all you need to plan.

My wife and I just completed the Camino Portugués from Porto to SdC. We took a couple of days more than you're aiming for (14), and stayed a few days in pensións and hotels besides in albergues, but FWIW, here's our itinerary and lodgings; all distances are from Brierley guidebook:

Day 1 (12.1 km) Porto to Matoshinos (via river/shore)
Pensao Central
Rua Brita Capelo 599, Matosinhos
45.50€ / dbl room w/bath, bkfst included
via booking.com

Day 2 (14.6 km) Matoshinos to Vila Chã
Albergue S. Mamede de Vila Chã
Travesa do Sol 40, Vila Chã
Muni – donativo

Day 3 (21.9 km) Vila Chã to Rates
Albergue Rates
Rua S. António 189
Assoc – donativo

Day 4 (16.3) Rates to Barcelos
Albergue Cidade de Barcelos
Rua Miguel Bombarda 36
Priv – donativo

Day 5 (20.0 km) Barcelos to Lugar de Corgo
Casa de Fernanda
Look for sign as you pass through village
Reservation recommended +351 914 589 521
Priv – donativo; tapas, dinner, bkfst (donativo)

Day 6 (14.7 km) Lugar de Corgo to Ponte de Lima
Casa da Villa (note double “L” in name)
Rua General Norton do Matos 648, Ponte de Lima
45.00€ / dbl room w/bath
via booking.com

Day 7 (18.6 km) Ponte de Lima to Rubiães
Albergue O Ninho
On N-201 approx. 200m past the mun. albergue
Priv – 12€; laundry (wash & dry) 6€, breakfast 3€

Day 8 (20.3 km) Rubiães to Tui
Albergue Xunta
Attached to side of Cathedral
6€ – Xunta

Day 9 (19.3 km) Tui to O Porriño
Albergue Casucho da Perigrina
A Insua, 7 - Parroquia de Atios
(4 beds only; 5 km above town on mountain; owner will pick up
and bring back to town)
+34 986 687 201 or +34 680 665 498
Priv – didn't make note of cost but it was comparable to
some of the hotels we stayed in.

Day 10 (15.5 km) O Porriño to Redondela
Albergue Casa de Torre
Plaza Rebadavia
Xunta – 6€

Day 11 (20.2 km) Redondela to Pontevedra
Hotel Virgen del Camino
Virgin del Camino 53-55 (on Camino route, near the old city)
60.00€ / dbl room w/bath, bkfst included

Day 12 (22.2 km) Pontevedra to Caldas de Reis
Albergue O Cruciero
Juan Fuentes 44
Priv – 12 (basically a room in the hotel of the same name
with 4 or 6 bunks in a hotel room with bath)
12€

Day 13 (24.5 km) Caldas de Reis to A Esclavitude
(We bypassed Padron in order to make our last day into Santiago shorter)
Hotel Casa Grande de Capellania
41.00€ / dbl room w/ bath
via booking.com

Day 14 (19.2 km) A Esclavitude to Santiago
Hostal Pico Sacro II
Rua San Francisco 22 (on east side of the Parador, on
the street to the right just as you exit the tunnel into
into the Praza do Obradoiro coming in on the Frances route)
+34 981 584 466
50.00€ / dbl room w/ bath

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

3. Rates
4. Barcelos
5. Casa Fernanda
6. Ponte de Lima
7. Rubiaes
8. Valenca/Tui
9.O'Porino
11. Ponferrada

Thank you for posting an alternative route, however I have always wanted to try make it to Finisterra/Muxia!
I have two other options similar to your own, but I would not have enough time to make Finisterra!
I still have enough time to work on the route and maybe tweak some of the stages!
Cheers

Good Evening,
Fellow Pilgrims

(Camino Begins)

(Camino Ends)

I have just returned from Porto-Muxia 2 weeks ago, took the same route as you plan to do. I broke Brierly's 10 stages into 13, because I wanted to stay at Pedra Furada and Lugar do Corgo, and I knew that this 50-something gal was NOT going to manage too many 30K days! I did end up with 2 of them, and they were tough. I sent my pack ahead on the second one, to give myself a fighting chance of not crawling into town, and that was a smart move. I also stayed in Teo so that I could walk into Santiago and not feel exhausted. All of that said, this is what I learned: when you walk such long days, you don't take much time to stop and smell the roses or look into the churches, or even go off the path. Yes, you accomplish your mileage goals and get to Santiago on time, but did you even really SEE where you were? Especially if it's raining or hot and all you want to do is GET THERE, you know? I also had a bit of a meltdown and ended up spending an extra day in Tui to sight-see and relax, which was not built into my plans, which caused me to miss getting into Santiago on my birthday (which was actually okay!). The rest of my trip after Santiago did go according to plan: I bussed to Finesterre, walked to Lires, walked to Muxia, spent two nights there, then bussed back to Santiago for one more night. I was NOT going to leave that part of the trip out of the plan, and it did work out fine. But I know that I missed so much, being so focussed on how far I needed to go every day. I know the Portuguese is not loaded with places to stay every 5 K, and there will certainly be some long days by necessity, but you might consider a break day or two in the mix. It will really add to your enjoyment of the trip...unless all you really want to do is walk from point A to point B. One quick bit of advice: stop at every cafe, because they are few and far between! Believe me!! Bom Caminho!

I have just returned from Porto-Muxia 2 weeks ago, took the same route as you plan to do. I broke Brierly's 10 stages into 13, because I wanted to stay at Pedra Furada and Lugar do Corgo, and I knew that this 50-something gal was NOT going to manage too many 30K days! I did end up with 2 of them, and they were tough. I sent my pack ahead on the second one, to give myself a fighting chance of not crawling into town, and that was a smart move. I also stayed in Teo so that I could walk into Santiago and not feel exhausted. All of that said, this is what I learned: when you walk such long days, you don't take much time to stop and smell the roses or look into the churches, or even go off the path. Yes, you accomplish your mileage goals and get to Santiago on time, but did you even really SEE where you were? Especially if it's raining or hot and all you want to do is GET THERE, you know? I also had a bit of a meltdown and ended up spending an extra day in Tui to sight-see and relax, which was not built into my plans, which caused me to miss getting into Santiago on my birthday (which was actually okay!). The rest of my trip after Santiago did go according to plan: I bussed to Finesterre, walked to Lires, walked to Muxia, spent two nights there, then bussed back to Santiago for one more night. I was NOT going to leave that part of the trip out of the plan, and it did work out fine. But I know that I missed so much, being so focussed on how far I needed to go every day. I know the Portuguese is not loaded with places to stay every 5 K, and there will certainly be some long days by necessity, but you might consider a break day or two in the mix. It will really add to your enjoyment of the trip...unless all you really want to do is walk from point A to point B. One quick bit of advice: stop at every cafe, because they are few and far between! Believe me!! Bom Caminho!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Hi, Sarah,

Thank you for the advice and congratulations on completing your recent Camino! I do realise the 3okm stages I have planned will no doubt be quite demanding. I also appreciate your point regarding missing the little things, by been so focused on eating up the miles!

As suggested by other pilgrims I am planning to walk the equivalent 30km and gain more experience in long distance walking before I depart. I won’t really know if my planned stages are practical until I know my walking limits! I could half some of the longer days, but would have to sacrifice my time on the coast.

I have the option of an extra day in either Finisterra or Muxia, Which did you prefer, also did you have any problems with finding accommodation? I know I am travelling in peak season and the Portugues is the second most popular route after the Francis.

Thank you, again for all the great tips and advice! :)

My wife and I just completed the Camino Portugués from Porto to SdC. We took a couple of days more than you're aiming for (14), and stayed a few days in pensións and hotels besides in albergues, but FWIW, here's our itinerary and lodgings; all distances are from Brierley guidebook:

Day 1 (12.1 km) Porto to Matoshinos (via river/shore)
Pensao Central
Rua Brita Capelo 599, Matosinhos
45.50€ / dbl room w/bath, bkfst included
via booking.com

Day 2 (14.6 km) Matoshinos to Vila Chã
Albergue S. Mamede de Vila Chã
Travesa do Sol 40, Vila Chã
Muni – donativo

Day 3 (21.9 km) Vila Chã to Rates
Albergue Rates
Rua S. António 189
Assoc – donativo

Day 4 (16.3) Rates to Barcelos
Albergue Cidade de Barcelos
Rua Miguel Bombarda 36
Priv – donativo

Day 5 (20.0 km) Barcelos to Lugar de Corgo
Casa de Fernanda
Look for sign as you pass through village
Reservation recommended +351 914 589 521
Priv – donativo; tapas, dinner, bkfst (donativo)

Day 6 (14.7 km) Lugar de Corgo to Ponte de Lima
Casa da Villa (note double “L” in name)
Rua General Norton do Matos 648, Ponte de Lima
45.00€ / dbl room w/bath
via booking.com

Day 7 (18.6 km) Ponte de Lima to Rubiães
Albergue O Ninho
On N-201 approx. 200m past the mun. albergue
Priv – 12€; laundry (wash & dry) 6€, breakfast 3€

Day 8 (20.3 km) Rubiães to Tui
Albergue Xunta
Attached to side of Cathedral
6€ – Xunta

Day 9 (19.3 km) Tui to O Porriño
Albergue Casucho da Perigrina
A Insua, 7 - Parroquia de Atios
(4 beds only; 5 km above town on mountain; owner will pick up
and bring back to town)
+34 986 687 201 or +34 680 665 498
Priv – didn't make note of cost but it was comparable to
some of the hotels we stayed in.

Day 10 (15.5 km) O Porriño to Redondela
Albergue Casa de Torre
Plaza Rebadavia
Xunta – 6€

Day 11 (20.2 km) Redondela to Pontevedra
Hotel Virgen del Camino
Virgin del Camino 53-55 (on Camino route, near the old city)
60.00€ / dbl room w/bath, bkfst included

Day 12 (22.2 km) Pontevedra to Caldas de Reis
Albergue O Cruciero
Juan Fuentes 44
Priv – 12 (basically a room in the hotel of the same name
with 4 or 6 bunks in a hotel room with bath)
12€

Day 13 (24.5 km) Caldas de Reis to A Esclavitude
(We bypassed Padron in order to make our last day into Santiago shorter)
Hotel Casa Grande de Capellania
41.00€ / dbl room w/ bath
via booking.com

Day 14 (19.2 km) A Esclavitude to Santiago
Hostal Pico Sacro II
Rua San Francisco 22 (on east side of the Parador, on
the street to the right just as you exit the tunnel into
into the Praza do Obradoiro coming in on the Frances route)
+34 981 584 466
50.00€ / dbl room w/ bath

Thank you Jim for taking the time to give me these specifics. I will copy them and use it to figure out my Camino. Bom Camino!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, Sarah,

Thank you for the advice and congratulations on completing your recent Camino! I do realise the 3okm stages I have planned will no doubt be quite demanding. I also appreciate your point regarding missing the little things, by been so focused on eating up the miles!

As suggested by other pilgrims I am planning to walk the equivalent 30km and gain more experience in long distance walking before I depart. I won’t really know if my planned stages are practical until I know my walking limits! I could half some of the longer days, but would have to sacrifice my time on the coast.

I have the option of an extra day in either Finisterra or Muxia, Which did you prefer, also did you have any problems with finding accommodation? I know I am travelling in peak season and the Portugues is the second most popular route after the Francis.

Thank you, again for all the great tips and advice! :)
I had my route set up for Finesterre, then Muxia, on purpose, after reading other's opinions on it. Finesterre is a little busier, a little more touristy. Muxia is a small town, and quiet. I knew that I would want that "down time" before I went home, so I chose to end there. Lots of accommodations in both spots. I stayed a bit outside Finesterre, at Hotel Alen do Mar, and it was probably my favorite...not only because it was a lovely, clean hotel, but...it was by the beach (you actually would walk by it on the camino), which I had all to myself that morning...magic!), you can hear the ocean all night from the window, great staff, and a wonderful breakfast. Not cheap but not exactly a splurge, either...it was just right. I stayed 2 nights in Muxia at Albergue da Costa...nice place but right next to a very active chicken yard (does't bother me, but....)...and you can sit on the deck and watch the sun drop into the water! Booking dot com is easy to use and has lots of options. Have a wonderful time, Green Spork! Bom Caminho!

3. Rates
4. Barcelos
5. Casa Fernanda
6. Ponte de Lima
7. Rubiaes
8. Valenca/Tui
9.O'Porino
11. Ponferrada
How was the walk from vila do conde to Rates? Read somewhere that people got lost

How was the walk from vila do conde to Rates? Read somewhere that people got lost
I got lost! But that was my own fault. Brierly clearly says in its guide that the path following the aquaduct is not longer marked, but in the notes I had taken, I had indicated it was the other way that was not marked. I ended up in the center of whichever largish town is there, with lots and lots of round abouts. Called a taxi who took me to the first arrows we could see.

So... when you leave the Santa Clara albergue, head back down to the monastery/bridge and pick up the arrows there.

€83,-
Thank you Jim for taking the time to give me these specifics. I will copy them and use it to figure out my Camino. Bom Camino!!
I hope it helps you plan your stages. Like everyone else who has walked this route, we loved Casa Fernanda (and of course, Fernanda herself) and highly recommend it, but if you plan to stay there, do make a reservation in advance. Bom Caminho!

I got lost! But that was my own fault. Brierly clearly says in its guide that the path following the aquaduct is not longer marked, but in the notes I had taken, I had indicated it was the other way that was not marked. I ended up in the center of whichever largish town is there, with lots and lots of round abouts. Called a taxi who took me to the first arrows we could see.

So... when you leave the Santa Clara albergue, head back down to the monastery/bridge and pick up the arrows there.
Thanks a million for your help. I'm so excited and worried at the same time. It's the first time and it's all so new that sometimes I get a bit anxious.

Thanks a million for your help. I'm so excited and worried at the same time. It's the first time and it's all so new that sometimes I get a bit anxious.
The second you step out the door on the Camino you will breathe again. We have all been there, sometimes before many Caminos. :cool:

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back