• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Portugues late December

Ludmilla

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte (August / September 2017)
Dear all,

We plan to hike on the Camino Portugues for five to six days after Christmas - 12/27 to 01/01. Will most of the albergues be closed then?
Is it more advisable to do the bit Lisbon to Porto, or the section Porto to Santiago de Compostela? How many days will the section Lisbon to Porto take, and the section Porto to Santiago?
In terms of weather conditions, will it rain most of the time?

Thanks.

Best regards,
Caroline

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Some years ago i read a blog about a family doing the portuguese in dec/january.
Forgot exact title of blog... something of Blue Pony camino.
Perhaps it is still an active blog. The particular weather challenges were well described...
Given that you have only very few days.... i’d suggest to consider starting from porto.
Even though in the north it might be colder and wetter....
Bom caminho.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Any time of the year I recommend O Porto to Santiago.

Ditto what Amorfati1 told you.

During that time frame places to sleep, other businesses may be closed or have limited hours.

I forgot how many days O Porto to Santiago took me. Slow, real slow, walker. I will look it up and post it.

Many posts on this page about lodging on the Camino.

May help you:

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/recommended-place-to-stay-padron-santiago.48492/

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-route-portugues-route-monacal-coastal.35534/

Some lodging...the ones that should be open... I will have to find my note book and provide other ones.

O Porto: recommend Hotel Peninsular. Good location. Spend at least one free day in O Porto. Love it there.

First stop out of O Porto (I rode the train out a few stops to avoid the traffic, construction, trucks, etc) is Casa Julia. Great place to stay. She treats you right.

Pardon: Hotel Rosalla. Nice place. Directly across the train tracks from the train station. Interesting town.

Recommend Pension Alfonso in Santiago. She only has 6 or so rooms. Excellent place to stay. Well worth it. I cannot over recommend this place. For the price is e x c e l l e n t. Owners are great. Clean. Swiss type of atmosphere. Easy walking distance to Cathedral and other sights in Santiago.

I winged it where to stay. Some nights stayed in A'bergs. Some in private places.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear all,

We plan to hike on the Camino Portugues for five to six days after Christmas - 12/27 to 01/01. Will most of the albergues be closed then?
Is it more advisable to do the bit Lisbon to Porto, or the section Porto to Santiago de Compostela? How many days will the section Lisbon to Porto take, and the section Porto to Santiago?

Thanks.

Best regards,
Caroline
My husband and I did the full Portuguese in July. I recommend Porto to Santiago.

Dear all,

Thanks.

Best regards,
Caroline
Personally I would not walk in midWinter! But obviously you have walked in winter conditions before. I would definitely walk the Porto to Santiago part. My husband and I walked from Santarem to Santiago last June and perhaps you can look at our blog. Ourwayportuguesecaminho.wordpress.com to give you an idea of the walk. The distances from Lisbon to Porto are very far as this part of Portugal is very underdeveloped. Good luck

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Dear all,

Thanks.

Best regards,
Caroline
In fact, on second thoughts, I would walk from Ponte de Lima to Santiago as this gives you six nights and lovely days of walking!

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back