• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Portugues late September/early October 2020

Razvan

Time of past OR future Camino
future (2018)
Hello everyone
I'm planning to walk the Portuguese way, Costal + Espiritual, starting on 29th September in Porto
Do I need a sleeping bag or it's enough a sleeping liner?
I'm a big, massive guy, I do better with the cold than with the heat.
I have a sleeping bag (15 degrees Celsius - 900 grams - I use it in most cases as a blanket) but I also have a microfiber liner (600 grams - with zippers on both sides)

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

If you are staying in albergues take the sleeping bag. Once you cross into Galicia the municipal albergues have heating, but no blankets. Sometimes the heating goes off automatically in the middle of the night (they are all on time switches) and in winter you may wake up freezing cold.

Hello everyone
I'm planning to walk the Portuguese way, Costal + Espiritual, starting on 29th September in Porto
I'm a big, massive guy, I do better with the cold than with the heat.
I have a sleeping bag (15 degrees Celsius - 900 grams - I use it in most cases as a blanket) but I also have a microfiber liner (600 grams - with zippers on both sides)
I started in Porto on 26 September 2019 on the inland route. Mostly stayed in Albergues, 2 nights in private hostels. Only took a sleeping liner, had a blanket in every hostel. Never felt cold and having spent most of life in Africa, I get cold easily. Lowest minimum temp was +9C and max 25C . Most days between 14 and 23. Only rained on last day. Perfect walking conditions. I am age 69. Bon Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I started in Porto on 26 September 2019 on the inland route. Mostly stayed in Albergues, 2 nights in private hostels. Only took a sleeping liner, had a blanket in every hostel. Never felt cold and having spent most of life in Africa, I get cold easily. Lowest minimum temp was +9C and max 25C . Most days between 14 and 23. Only rained on last day. Perfect walking conditions. I am age 69. Bon Camino
How many nights did you need or use the blanket?

You never know the weather but I only carried a silk sleep sack and walked the same time. I was never cold. If it does get cold put some of your warmer clothes on. I am sure you will have a warm fleece pullover or something like that. Wear your pants too. You will probably be fine. But one never knows does one. My money would be on no sleeping bag.

You never know the weather but I only carried a silk sleep sack and walked the same time. I was never cold. If it does get cold put some of your warmer clothes on. I am sure you will have a warm fleece pullover or something like that. Wear your pants too. You will probably be fine. But one never knows does one. My money would be on no sleeping bag.

The only issue that I have with the microfiber liner - i am getting tangled up in it as I sleep.
Any advice?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
How many nights did you need or use the blanket?
I never sleep in a shirt, only shorts so I went to sleep with a blanket because it was there but most nights it got too hot so I threw it off. I needed it perhaps 2 nights but would have been warm enough with a tshirt. I just checked my notes. My earlier reply was wrong, there were no blankets at the albergue in Padron but I was not cold.

The only issue that I have with the microfiber liner - i am getting tangled up in it as I sleep.
Any advice?
Are silk sleeping sack considered microfiber. I am not trying to sound like a smart alec I just am not sure. will say this. My silk sack opens like a sleeping bag and one side has a flap that opens up about 1/2 way down. I guess this is typical. I move around alot when I sleep and I near get tangled up but I do find that I may not be sleeping on most of the top half when I wake up in the middle of the night to visit the bathroom. I try to lay it out again before I go back to sleep. If it is chilly and I put a blanket from the albergue over it the sleep sack seems to stay in place a whole lot better. When it is warm or hot in the albergue it sure is nice to have something that is not hot to just cover yourself up. My guess is that you will not have alot of issues with the cold during that time of the year. I will be walking from Lisbon with some college buddies around that time. We will walk the coastal route also but I think we will be a few weeks behind you. I intend to only take my sleep sack if that is any solace.

I might be leaving Porto on the 29th also ... heading first to the coast and then switching across to Ponte de Lima. Maybe see you along the trail 🚶‍♀️

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I might be leaving Porto on the 29th also ... heading first to the coast and then switching across to Ponte de Lima. Maybe see you along the trail 🚶‍♀️

My mistake, I arrive on September 29th in Porto and start Camino on September 30th

Are silk sleeping sack considered microfiber. I am not trying to sound like a smart alec I just am not sure. will say this. My silk sack opens like a sleeping bag and one side has a flap that opens up about 1/2 way down. I guess this is typical. I move around alot when I sleep and I near get tangled up but I do find that I may not be sleeping on most of the top half when I wake up in the middle of the night to visit the bathroom. I try to lay it out again before I go back to sleep. If it is chilly and I put a blanket from the albergue over it the sleep sack seems to stay in place a whole lot better. When it is warm or hot in the albergue it sure is nice to have something that is not hot to just cover yourself up. My guess is that you will not have alot of issues with the cold during that time of the year. I will be walking from Lisbon with some college buddies around that time. We will walk the coastal route also but I think we will be a few weeks behind you. I intend to only take my sleep sack if that is any solace.

I'll modify the microfiber bag, I'll put 2 zippers on the sides, and depending on the part I will sleep I will open the zipper and I will use it more as a blanket.
At the bottom will be open. :)

I'll modify the microfiber bag, I'll put 2 zippers on the sides, and depending on the part I will sleep I will open the zipper and I will use it more as a blanket.
At the bottom will be open. :)
Thats the spirit whatever works for you do it!!!!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thats just the temperature for me. I'am going to start my trip Sept. 2021. I can only hope I get that same kind of weather.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back