• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Portugues - May 2015

Time of past OR future Camino
FRuture: Camino Sureste (2022)
Hi,

I am planning to start the Camino Portuguese from Lisbon on 30th April 2015. I would be glad to know of anyone taking this route during that period. I am a solo traveler. Would also appreciate any advice regarding this route.

Regards and Buen Camino,

Ray,

Malta

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Welcome on the forum.

There is a lot of information on this forum about your questions
From many experienced walkers.
I advice you to read back a bit and you find all your answers
the other day were about the same questions.

Welcome on the forum.

There is a lot of information on this forum about your questions
From many experienced walkers.
I advice you to read back a bit and you find all your answers
the other day were about the same questions.

Thank you for your suggestion. Have already been through some of the past posts and as you say there are a lot of answers.

Buen Camino,

Ray

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi,

I am planning to start the Camino Portuguese from Lisbon on 30th April 2015. I would be glad to know of anyone taking this route during that period. I am a solo traveler. Would also appreciate any advice regarding this route.

Regards and Buen Camino,

Ray,

Malta
Hi Ray
I start my Camino Portuguese from Porto 10 May aiming to arrive in SdC by 19 May. The new John Brierley Camino Portuguese 2015 was issued in January 2015 Edition 6 ISBN978-1-84409-653-4. Training with new boots and socks is progressing well, had to get some sock liners and they are excellent, would recommend you get yourself a few pairs, very light-weight easily washed and dried.
Bien Camino
Colin

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Our revisions to the Lisboa to Porto guide should be available within a few weeks, it's not being reviewed by all the wonderful people who submitted comments for updates to the 2014 guide, which is still posted in the resources section, but will soon be deleted to make way for the 2015 version. Bom caminho, Laurie

Thank you Maureen for the hint,

In which part of the camino is the albergue located ? Could not located on google maps.

Thanks and buen camino,

Ray
I tried to find out the location by googling somewhat. It seems to be around Valença do Minho nearby the Portugese-Spanish border.
Not very clear information on the website. If you are intending the interior route it seems to be a good place to stay.

Last edited:
I tried to find out the location by googling somewhat. It seems to be around Viana do Castelo on the coastal caminho.
Not very clear information on the website. If you are intending the coastal route it seems to be a good place to stay.
It looks like this is the one, not far from Valença on the interior route
Between Rubiães and Valença

€46,-
Hi,

Regards and Buen Camino,

Ray,

Malta
Hi Ray,
I'm planning to start my Caminho on 30th April but from Porto.
also looking for every possible info about coastal route.

Me best regards,

Ekaterina

Hi Ray,
I'm planning to start my Caminho on 30th April but from Porto.
also looking for every possible info about coastal route.

Me best regards,

Ekaterina

Will be departing as well on the 30th but from Lisbon.... wish all the best.

Buen camino and best regards.
Ray

Hello Ray,
I plan on walking the Portuguese Way in May, but in 2016. I start planning way ahead, maybe because I am retired and have the time to do it. I have noticed that the rainfall in May is pretty heavy, decreasing to about 1/3 that amount in June. I recommend a good Parka.
Ralph

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello Ray,
I plan on walking the Portuguese Way in May, but in 2016. I start planning way ahead, maybe because I am retired and have the time to do it. I have noticed that the rainfall in May is pretty heavy, decreasing to about 1/3 that amount in June. I recommend a good Parka.
Ralph

Thank you Ralph for your post,

I am also retired and also have started planning since last year. I am considering the issue of rain and I am investing in a good lightweight pancho..apart from the normal trecking jacket.

Hope to exchange more ideas.

Regards and buen camino,

Ray

Hi Ray,

I'll be on the route from 8 to 18 May.

Starting officially in Vila do Conde, getting the train/bus from Porto on the morning of 8 May.

Buen Camino,

Regards,
Johan

Thank you Johan for letting me know of your camino.

I plan to reach Porto on the 14th May to meet a friend who will join me. Most probably we will be behind you but who knows.. we might meet At Santiago.

Buen Camino,

Ray

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Ray,

I plan on starting May 1st in Lisbon. I am also a solo traveler. Maybe I will catch up with you!!

Buen Camino!

Hi Restles,

Thank you for your post !

Will be leaving Lisbon on the 30th of April ..just one day before you leave Lisbon. However will be able to meet at Santarem. I have booked at Santarem Hostel two nights 2nd and 3th May and possibly will be able to continue together from there in the morning of the 4th of May.

Buen Camino,

Ray

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Ray,

If all goes as planned, I will see you in Santarem!

Restless

Hi Restles,

Will be in Santarem on the 3rd and leave early morning on 4th and plan to reach Porto by the 14th. Will be joining a work mate over there and most probably take the co0astal route.

Meanwhile see you in Santarem!

Buen Camino,

Ray

Hi Ray
I start my Camino Portuguese from Porto 10 May aiming to arrive in SdC by 19 May. The new John Brierley Camino Portuguese 2015 was issued in January 2015 Edition 6 ISBN978-1-84409-653-4. Training with new boots and socks is progressing well, had to get some sock liners and they are excellent, would recommend you get yourself a few pairs, very light-weight easily washed and dried.
Bien Camino
Colin

Those are my dates exactly! I'm hoping to walk at least part of the coastal route, but I'm worried about not having enough time - can I ask what route you're taking to make it to Santiago in 10 days?

Those are my dates exactly! I'm hoping to walk at least part of the coastal route, but I'm worried about not having enough time - can I ask what route you're taking to make it to Santiago in 10 days?

Hi Gevie,

Seeing your dates you will be ahead of me by 6 days. I have to meet a freind in Porto on the 14th May ( 1 day rest/site seeing in Porto) and continue to SDC on the 16th aiming to arrive on the 26th May.

Yes I am considering making part of the coastal route between Matosinhos and Rates ( this part is more or less same distance from Porto to Vilarino to Rates) and continue on the internal route via Barcelos etc. I plan to make it in 11 days (this includes 1 day rest in Tui). According to Brierley's book 10days are enough to reach SDC from Porto.

I hope this helps you and wish you all the best!

Buen Camino,
Ray

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
indeed, great idea about following river Douro and then the coast line up to Vila do Conde (from Vila do Conde to Rates you will find busy roads and cobblestones, but that is pretty much the same as when you are going via Vilarinho.

I did
Porto-Angeiras (camping site with special prize for pilgrims and a great pool)
Angeiras-Rates
Rates-Lugar do Corgo (Casa de Fernanda, an amazing experience)
Lugar do Corgo-Rubiaes
Rubiaes-Tui
Tui-Mos
Mos-Pontevedra
Pontevedra-Caldas de Reis
Caldas de Reis-Padrón
Padrón Santiago

5 days in Portugal, and 5 in Spain. Buen camino, amigo!

indeed, great idea about following river Douro and then the coast line up to Vila do Conde (from Vila do Conde to Rates you will find busy roads and cobblestones, but that is pretty much the same as when you are going via Vilarinho.

I did
Porto-Angeiras (camping site with special prize for pilgrims and a great pool)
Angeiras-Rates
Rates-Lugar do Corgo (Casa de Fernanda, an amazing experience)
Lugar do Corgo-Rubiaes
Rubiaes-Tui
Tui-Mos
Mos-Pontevedra
Pontevedra-Caldas de Reis
Caldas de Reis-Padrón
Padrón Santiago

5 days in Portugal, and 5 in Spain. Buen camino, amigo!
Camping Angeiras. Great place. We stayed overnight there too .

If you fancy staying in Portugal one more night , find a place to sleep in Valença do Minho instead of Tui
3 or 4 kms more to walk next day and and extra hour time difference between Portugal(GMT) and Spain (GMT+1) but it is worthwhile.

Hello! I am thinking about piligrimage to Santiago de Compostela from Lisbon /Porto (maybe other place assuming arrival in Lisbon by plane) starting about 2-3 May 2015 - lasting about 10-13 days, +-/1 day flexible for lookaround. I am not very comfortable as a solo traveller + very limited Portugese language - that is why looking for the organized groups - 4- 9+ people with the plan?! Please advise the sources where I could get some information about such people so that I could contact them. I am fine with booking (pre-determined hostels, other stuff etc) by my own to align with the team.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello! I am thinking about piligrimage to Santiago de Compostela from Lisbon /Porto (maybe other place assuming arrival in Lisbon by plane) starting about 2-3 May 2015 - lasting about 10-13 days, +-/1 day flexible for lookaround. I am not very comfortable as a solo traveller + very limited Portugese language - that is why looking for the organized groups - 4- 9+ people with the plan?! Please advise the sources where I could get some information about such people so that I could contact them. I am fine with booking (pre-determined hostels, other stuff etc) by my own to align with the team.
Welcome on the forum @AlexanderN.
Walking from Lisbon you need about one month, depending on your pace.
From Porto it is doable. If you walk the central route from Porto (Matosinhos, Vila do Conde, São Pedro de Rates ,Barcelos ,Ponte de Lima, Valença/Tui to Santiago, you definitively will meet fellow peregrinos. prebooking is not necessairy.
Here on the (Portuguese )forum you could post a thread "who is walking from 2nd of May from Porto ? And explain what you want !
Or I quote @Arn on another thread "
Put your info in the pilgrim calendar. It will highlight your Caminho and let you see who else is thereabouts."

About your limited Portugese skills is nothing to worry about .the Portugese and Gallego people will understand that you walk to Santiago and will help you out if wanted .
Among fellow peregrino's the common language is english and if not the non verbal "language" connects !
Some words like " bom dia-buenos dias, boa noite-buena noches, até a vista/ hasta la vista etc provide you the sympathy of the locals !

Bom Caminho,

Last edited:
Hi,

Regards and Buen Camino,

Ray,

Malta

I mwill be staying at Moscavide Youth Hostel for two nights on 28th & 29th April. Morning 30th head to Vilafranka de Xira

Hi Gevie,
I plan to walk: -
Porto - Vila do Conde (25km)
VdC - Barcelos (28km)
Barcelos - Ponte de Lima (34km) - long day so already booked a hotel
PdL - Rubiaes (18km)
Rubiaes - Tui (20km)
Tui - Redondela (33km) - long day so already booked a hotel
Redondela - Pontevedra (19km)
Pontevedra - Caldas (23km)
Caldas - Padron (18km)
Padron - SdC (25km)

The journey is reasonably level with a few bumps but I have been training walking 20km up hill, down dale, with a 10kg pack and arrived in time for a pub lunch :). My pack for the trip will be 7kg - 8kg max.

If you fancy a buddy along the way that would be nice.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Gevie,
VdC - Barcelos (28km)
PdL - Rubiaes (18km)
Rubiaes - Tui (20km)
Caldas - Padron (18km)
Padron - SdC (25km)

The journey is reasonably level with a few bumps but I have been training walking 20km up hill, down dale, with a 10kg pack and arrived in time for a pub lunch :). My pack for the trip will be 7kg - 8kg max.

From Porto Sé cathedral to the bridge of Matosinhos is 10 kms
From the bridge to Vila do Conde is 20 kms .

Hi Gevie,
VdC - Barcelos (28km)
PdL - Rubiaes (18km)
Rubiaes - Tui (20km)
Caldas - Padron (18km)
Padron - SdC (25km)

Will be great to meet someone on the way. I am not sure if you intend to leave from Lisbon that would be great to meet someone in thast part as well.

I fully agree with you booking hotels for long days. so far I booked for all the longt days till Porto however intend to book the ones in Ponte the lima and and Rodondela.

Also as you say a pack will not be more than 8kgs.

I walk almost daily between ranging 12km ..20kms..26kms alternating depending on my daily schedule. This means often crossing the island in a day.:)

Buen Camino

Ray,
Malta

Landing in Madrid on the 15th May, train to Lisboa, staying for two days, train to Coimbra and start walking from Coimbra either 19th or 20th. Traveling with my 26 y o son. Meeting wife in Porto on 24th. She will bike to SdC with girlfriends and son and I will continue walking hoping to get to SdC on 7th or 8th. We may be behind you. We will have the NM Zia symbol on our packs. Bon Caminho.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Landing in Madrid on the 15th May, train to Lisboa, staying for two days, train to Coimbra and start walking from Coimbra either 19th or 20th. Traveling with my 26 y o son. Meeting wife in Porto on 24th. She will bike to SdC with girlfriends and son and I will continue walking hoping to get to SdC on 7th or 8th. We may be behind you. We will have the NM Zia symbol on our packs. Bon Caminho.

I will be ahead as will have to be in Porto on the 14th and in SdC on the 27th as have flight back top Malta evening 29th May. However the number of responses I am having indicate a good chance that I meet pilgrims on the way.

Thanks and buen Camino,

Ray

Hi Albertinho,

Just a quick question: Do you reckon Ponte de Lima to Valenca/Tui is doable? I believe the distance to be covered would be approximately 38 km.

Angelo

Hi Albertinho,

Just a quick question: Do you reckon Ponte de Lima to Valenca/Tui is doable? I believe the distance to be covered would be approximately 38 km.

Angelo
(this is not albertinho)
but i shall answer anyway:
do-able is different for each person. - after Ponte de Lima you'll find the path w/ a steep incline for many kilometers. when rainy/muddy it's can be rather treacherous, depending the section.
Rubieas (spelling?) has an albergue and other private places to overnight...and to set out the next morning until valenca/tui.
it's lovely country-side ...why 'race' through it?
do-able depends on what your goals/values are ... you want to 'clock' kilometers or do you want to actually experience the path?
i wouldn't have dreamt of continuing to valenca ... but perhaps and probably there are some pilgrims who pressed on.
some people believe that the portuguese caminho is all on flat terrain ... that is gross misrepresentation and not accurate.
38 km is do-able - technically.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
(this is not albertinho)
but i shall answer anyway:
do-able is different for each person. - after Ponte de Lima you'll find the path w/ a steep incline for many kilometers. when rainy/muddy it's can be rather treacherous, depending the section.
Rubieas (spelling?) has an albergue and other private places to overnight...and to set out the next morning until valenca/tui.
it's lovely country-side ...why 'race' through it?
do-able depends on what your goals/values are ... you want to 'clock' kilometers or do you want to actually experience the path?
i wouldn't have dreamt of continuing to valenca ... but perhaps and probably there are some pilgrims who pressed on.
some people believe that the portuguese caminho is all on flat terrain ... that is gross misrepresentation and not accurate.
38 km is do-able - technically.
I agree with you Claudia. I could not write it better than you..
After about 8 hours we were exhausted after climbing the Labruja mountain between Ponte de Lima and Rubiaes and even if we should want,we could not continue any step further .We were happy to find the first hostal after coming down from the Labruja but then it was still 3 kms to go to the only restaurant in Rubiaes for a diner.
The cook of the restaurant however picked us up by car ,cooked our meal and afterwards brought us back.
Next day we were fresh to walk to Valença .
Ciao ciao !

Last edited:
Hi All
The albergue Quinta Estrada Romana is locatec: Cerdal, Viana Do Castelo, Portugal
Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/quintaestradaromana?fref=ts
Ray, see you in May!!
bom caminho

Thank you Mario for letting me know where this albergue is located. From seeing the google map it is located on the coastal route near Ponte di Lima.
However I will not pass from there as I am taking only the first part of the coastal route up to Vila do Conde and then head to them internal route via Sao Pedro de Rates.

I look foprward to see you in May 2nd & 3rd

Many Thanks,

Kind regards,

RaY

Thanks to the replies to my query. Much appreciated.
Please consider though that for those of us who are time poor and have to travel for more than 24 hours by air just to get to the starting point, a well planned pilgrimage can mean a lot. By no means am I racing through nor just clocking kilometres. Just trying to fit everything to my schedule. Having done the whole Camino Frances just 6 months ago, my experience of The Path is still quite fresh. Peace!

Thanks to the replies to my query. Much appreciated.
Please consider though that for those of us who are time poor and have to travel for more than 24 hours by air just to get to the starting point, a well planned pilgrimage can mean a lot. By no means am I racing through nor just clocking kilometres. Just trying to fit everything to my schedule. Having done the whole Camino Frances just 6 months ago, my experience of The Path is still quite fresh. Peace!
But still the walk from Ponte de Lima to Valença in one day ? Better rewrite your timeschedule and split the route in two separate parts. Would be my advice but if not.. Wish you all the best or as the Portugese say ..muito sorte !

But still the walk from Ponte de Lima to Valença in one day ? Better rewrite your timeschedule and split the route in two separate parts. Would be my advice but if not.. Wish you all the best or as the Portugese say ..muito sorte !

I will heed your advice. No worries!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Amandio,
Love your backpack photo, have a lot like yours left by other pilgrims, but empty, it is a weight issue, I was told :)
Bom Caminho
Mario

Hi,

I am planning to start the Camino Portuguese from Lisbon on 30th April 2015. I would be glad to know of anyone taking this route during that period. I am a solo traveler.

Malta

I too am starting from Lisbon April 30 - walking solo. I fly in that morning. Hope to see you on the trail. I broke the stages up into shorter days were possible. Staying at Moscavida that first night. Jet lag will be with me for a few days and want to take it easy.

Thank you Mario for letting me know where this albergue is located. From seeing the google map it is located on the coastal route near Ponte di Lima.
However I will not pass from there as I am taking only the first part of the coastal route up to Vila do Conde and then head to them internal route via Sao Pedro de Rates.

I look foprward to see you in May 2nd & 3rd

Many Thanks,

Kind regards,

RaY
Indeed the albergue is in the north of the central route and not close to Viana do Castelo
I sent an email to them and this was the answer I received a minute ago

Hi Albert! This is Lesley from the Quinta Estrada Romana - the albergue with the Beautiful Boot Project. Thanks for contacting us. We are located directly on the Camino Portuguese in the village of Passos. We are 10.5 km north of Rubiaes and 8km south of Valença do Minho We would love to host you - so when you have a better idea regarding your date of arrival - please let us know and we will book you.

Bon Camino

351 251 837 333

Lesley and Geof

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I too am starting from Lisbon April 30 - walking solo. I fly in that morning. Hope to see you on the trail. I broke the stages up into shorter days were possible. Staying at Moscavida that first night. Jet lag will be with me for a few days and want to take it easy.
Hi StevethePlanner,
I am also flying in that day and hope to walk to either Parque das Nacoes or Moscavida. (Depends on how bad the jet lag is!!) What time do you get into Lisbon? My flight arrives at 2:30 pm.

Bom Camino

Looks like the number of people starting from Lisbon is on the rise. If you all are using our little online guide, https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/lisbon-to-porto-2015-version.298/ please let me know if you have changes or corrections or any comments at all for that matter! I think this year's "edition" is fantastic thanks to the help of so many forum members who walked from Lisbon last year. (In fact, I know of two instances in which "we" were right and "Brierley" was wrong! :))

Bom caminho, Laurie

Hi StevethePlanner,
I am also flying in that day and hope to walk to either Parque das Nacoes or Moscavida. (Depends on how bad the jet lag is!!) What time do you get into Lisbon? My flight arrives at 2:30 pm.

My flight from the U.S. arrives 9:00 am (May 30). I plan to get some ATM Euros and buy a SIM card at the airport; get transportation to Cathedral Se, get my credential etc, start walking, visit the Tile museum, and be at the youth hostel probably before your plane lands (hotels too expensive!). It's only a couple hours walking from the Cathedral. You would get there later. My tourist time in Lisbon will be after the Camino. We'll run (I mean walk) into each other at some point.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
(In fact, I know of two instances in which "we" were right and "Brierley" was wrong! :))

Bom caminho, Laurie
I'll have your guide document on my phone. What are the two dependencies? I have JB's 2015 edition and pointed out to him the error in the map legend on page 197 (Portugal vs France route colors). Also a missed capitalization - but now I'm being picky! :)

Hi StevethePlanner,

Bom Camino

Parque das Naçãoes and Moscavide are the same as long as it is about sleeping somewhere..the parque is the former world exhibition place of I believe it was 1998. The youth hostal, pousada de juventude is only one block away from the parque. From the Sé cathedral to the pousada is an . about 8 kms walk,starting in the "Alfama "area .at the former exhibitionground are some big hotels , restaurants, bars, a shopping mall, a touristical funicular cablecar ,etc.etc. Worthwhile to look around for a couple of hours if you like to.

I will arrive in lisbon airport on the 28th May at around 6.00 pm and will stay at Moscavida for 2 nights.
Will do the first walk from Lisbon Cathedral to Moscavida on the 29th and continue from Moscadida to Vila Franca de Xira on the 30th.
Hope to see you there.

Buen Camino

Ray

€46,-
Hi,

Regards and Buen Camino,

Ray,

Malta

My wife and I will be about a week behind you. We are slow walkers but may there is a chnace that we will meet you.

Hi,

Regards and Buen Camino,

Ray,

Malta
I start 1 May from Lisbon. Ian.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My wife and I will be about a week behind you. We are slow walkers but may there is a chnace that we will meet you.

We arrive to Lisboa on the 5th, we plan to spend a couple of days in Lisboa to catch up with the jet lag. We will probably start walking on the 8th and will be following the short stages that are described elsewhere. Hope to meet some of you on the Camino.

Parque das Naçãoes and Moscavide are the same as long as it is about sleeping somewhere..the parque is the former world exhibition place of I believe it was 1998. The youth hostal, pousada de juventude is only one block away from the parque. From the Sé cathedral to the pousada is an . about 8 kms walk,starting in the "Alfama "area .at the former exhibitionground are some big hotels , restaurants, bars, a shopping mall, a touristical funicular cablecar ,etc.etc. Worthwhile to look around for a couple of hours if you like to.

I don't know what I was thinking when I wrote this. I meant to say I might walk to Sacavem. It just depends on the jet lag.

Does anyone know the fastest way to get from the airport to the Se? My flight gets into Lisbon at 2:30 pm and I want to go directly to the Se and start walking. I am thinking of stopping at the tile museum. How much time would I need to spend there to get have a good experience?

Thanks

Hi, Restless,

From the airport to the Se, you can take the metro but it is a long roundabout way. Red line to Alameda, then change to the line that goes downtown. It will take probably about 40 minutes. The airport bus, which I've never taken, also goes downtown. http://www.yellowbustours.com/en/cities/lisbon/airport-transport/

A cab will take probably half that time, and should cost around 15 euros. But cab drivers in Lisbon, particularly at the airport arrivals, are notorious for the ways in which they try to scam tourists. I go to Lisbon once a year, and I usually take a cab to my hotel. I am obviously a foreigner, but I know Lisbon, and I am usually in a cab whose driver is trying to cheat me.

I just checked the Tile Museum's website and it closes at 5:30. In the best of circumstances, you would be at the Cathedral by 3:30, walk to the Tile Museum in about a half hour, and still have an hour and a half in the museum. That timeline, however, requires all stars to align correctly, which of course they sometimes do!

I don't know that there are accommodations in Sacavem, but I do know that in Parque de Nacoes there's both a youth hostel and some more upscale hotels. This would be a nice place to spend a first night in Lisbon, IMO. Of course if you walk to Sacavem, you could hop on the commuter train back to Parque de Nacoes to spend the night and then return in the morning.

Hope this helps, bom caminho, Laurie

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi, Restless,

From the airport to the Se, you can take the metro but it is a long roundabout way. Red line to Alameda, then change to the line that goes downtown. It will take probably about 40 minutes. The airport bus, which I've never taken, also goes downtown. http://www.yellowbustours.com/en/cities/lisbon/airport-transport/

A cab will take probably half that time, and should cost around 15 euros. But cab drivers in Lisbon, particularly at the airport arrivals, are notorious for the ways in which they try to scam tourists. I go to Lisbon once a year, and I usually take a cab to my hotel. I am obviously a foreigner, but I know Lisbon, and I am usually in a cab whose driver is trying to cheat me.

I just checked the Tile Museum's website and it closes at 5:30. In the best of circumstances, you would be at the Cathedral by 3:30, walk to the Tile Museum in about a half hour, and still have an hour and a half in the museum. That timeline, however, requires all stars to align correctly, which of course they sometimes do!

I don't know that there are accommodations in Sacavem, but I do know that in Parque de Nacoes there's both a youth hostel and some more upscale hotels. This would be a nice place to spend a first night in Lisbon, IMO. Of course if you walk to Sacavem, you could hop on the commuter train back to Parque de Nacoes to spend the night and then return in the morning.

Thanks Laurie for such a quick response. I found a place to stay at in Sacavem through AirBnB. I am thinking of booking that or as you say taking the metro back to Parque de Nacoes.

Regarding getting to the Se. You have given me some great options. (And thanks for letting me know how much the taxi should be. I am sure if I decide to use that option having that information will be helpful!!)

Thanks again!
Restless

Thanks Laurie for such a quick response. I found a place to stay at in Sacavem through AirBnB. I am thinking of booking that or as you say taking the metro back to Parque de Nacoes.

Regarding getting to the Se. You have given me some great options. (And thanks for letting me know how much the taxi should be. I am sure if I decide to use that option having that information will be helpful!!)

Thanks again!
Restless
Wow, I never thought of AirBnB, but of course what a great idea! Maybe there are more of these little towns along the Caminho where people have rooms on offer. Thanks, Restless. Buen camino, Laurie

Hi, Restless,

The airport bus does well. 20 minutes and you are downtown. We went as far as Rossio and had an easy walk down with a coffee break to barrio Alfama where we rented an appartment for 2 days at 50 meters distance from the Sé cathedral via AIRBNB. Great place to be and to visit all Lisbon's highlites.
I remember the airport bus costed a few euros each..

The AIRBNB app is very handy to find a place anywhere in the world .To be downloaded in the appstore.
Mind when you upload this, go through the settings at home. They changed the safety rules just after we booked and asked for a kind of safety identification when we wanted a new room on the camino in Porto . this is not easy to do on your smartphone when you are on route as we experienced. So look on your desktop at home to do the right settings before you leave home.
After doing that it works great. We had great places in Santiago but also in Berlin, Frankfurt and in the UK last year. We definitively are going to use the app during our coming caminho among others in Porto,Vigo and Santiago again.

€149,-
Hi Gevie,
VdC - Barcelos (28km)
PdL - Rubiaes (18km)
Rubiaes - Tui (20km)
Caldas - Padron (18km)
Padron - SdC (25km)

Thank you, that's very helpful. I'm flying into Porto on the 10th so I'll have to bus part of that first day, but I'll catch up with you at some point! I haven't done any training yet, but this is the first week the temperature's gone above freezing here, so it seems like a good time to start.

I won't be seeing any of you on the way as my Camino isn't until September!! Booked my flight to Lisbon today and I'm so pumped!! I've downloaded the updated guide posted by Peregrina 2000 and will delight in finding all these places in my Brierley guide!!!!

My flight from the U.S. arrives 9:00 am (May 30). I plan to get some ATM Euros and buy a SIM card at the airport; get transportation to Cathedral Se, get my credential etc, start walking, visit the Tile museum, and be at the youth hostel probably before your plane lands (hotels too expensive!). It's only a couple hours walking from the Cathedral. You would get there later. My tourist time in Lisbon will be after the Camino. We'll run (I mean walk) into each other at some point.

Hi Steve.
The Youth Hostel link you are looking for:
http://microsites.juventude.gov.pt/Portal/en

Bom Caminho
Mario

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Steve.
The Youth Hostel link you are looking for:
http://microsites.juventude.gov.pt/Portal/en

I am confident about the Moscavide Youth hostel (location, facilities, etc.). But it's good to understand the other Youth hostels are part of the same organization. I do not intend to make advance reservations in most places (unless someone let's me know a city that is difficult).
Steve

I am confident about the Moscavide Youth hostel (location, facilities, etc.). But it's good to understand the other Youth hostels are part of the same organization. I do not intend to make advance reservations in most places (unless someone let's me know a city that is difficult).
Steve

The site link that i have sent you it shows you a map with all the youth hostels run by the Portuguese Government. Not all on the caminho as expected and the alternative are the private hostels, pensões, or just privates rooms.
Any Portuguese Caminho guide book have the information where to sleep, eat, etc...
Take a look on this Forum the guide book written by Laurie Reynolds (Peregrina 2000)
Bom Caminho
Mario

Last edited:
Thank you, that's very helpful. I'm flying into Porto on the 10th so I'll have to bus part of that first day, but I'll catch up with you at some point! I haven't done any training yet, but this is the first week the temperature's gone above freezing here, so it seems like a good time to start.
Hi Gevie - Glad to hear that you arrive in Porto 10 May - I'll start at the Cathedral and then the plan is to get the metro out to Mercado to start the walk by crossing the bridge outside the station. The plan is to possibly stay at Bellamar which is located close to the Camino - if you let me know where your first stop might be I'll try to touchbase. Day 1 to Vila do Conde should be a pleasant warm up - hopefully the temperature in Porto etc will be well above freezing in May :) Be in touch before we go.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Gevie - Glad to hear that you arrive in Porto 10 May - I'll start at the Cathedral and then the plan is to get the metro out to Mercado to start the walk by crossing the bridge outside the station. The plan is to possibly stay at Bellamar which is located close to the Camino - if you let me know where your first stop might be I'll try to touchbase. Day 1 to Vila do Conde should be a pleasant warm up - hopefully the temperature in Porto etc will be well above freezing in May :) Be in touch before we go.
Mercado is not a station but simply a metro stop. ThePorto metro is a kind of tram. If you should miss the stop no bother because the next stop after Mercado is the end of the metroline and easy to walk back to the bridge.
Just over the bridge turn to the left untill you reach the ocean .there starts the boardwalk allmost all the way to Vila do Conde. From Mercado to Vila do Code is 20 kilometers. From Porto cathedral (Sé) is 10 kms along the river and ocean to Mercado.
Bom caminho

Mercado is not a station but simply a metro stop. ThePorto metro is a kind of tram. If you should miss the stop no bother because the next stop after Mercado is the end of the metroline and easy to walk back to the bridge.
Just over the bridge turn to the left untill you reach the ocean .there starts the boardwalk allmost all the way to Vila do Conde. From Mercado to Vila do Code is 20 kilometers. From Porto cathedral (Sé) is 10 kms along the river and ocean to Mercado.
Bom caminho
Hi Albertinho - Thanks for the info the only reason for the metro start, walking through Porto did not seem too inspiring - a river walk sounds interesting but it looks longer than 10km. 20km on boardwaks is a fairly easy walk. Is your home in Porto?
Buen Camino. Colin

Thank you for your suggestion. Have already been through some of the past posts and as you say there are a lot of answers.

Buen Camino,

Ray
Hi Ray,

I have just walked the first 8 stages of the Camino Portugese and it was wonderful. I did not meet any other walkers, and was the sole occupant of a couple of residentials. The best piece of advice is that the Camino de Santiago is not way-marked through Santerem. The yellow arrows going through the town are going to Santiago via Fatima, so be careful and just don't follow them, like I did!
Hostel in Santarem is excellent. You need your pilgrim passport in the Residential in Rabacal. They asked for it and I'm not sure I'd have got a bed without it.
Food is hard to get on the route. Dinner was on one occasion a round of toast and on another a box of pringles! Lunch was usually a snickers bar on the hoof.
It is agreat experience. I can't wait to do more.

Bom Caminho!

Catherine

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Ray,

I have just walked the first 8 stages of the Camino Portugese and it was wonderful. I did not meet any other walkers, and was the sole occupant of a couple of residentials. The best piece of advice is that the Camino de Santiago is not way-marked through Santerem. The yellow arrows going through the town are going to Santiago via Fatima, so be careful and just don't follow them, like I did!
Hostel in Santarem is excellent. You need your pilgrim passport in the Residential in Rabacal. They asked for it and I'm not sure I'd have got a bed without it.
Food is hard to get on the route. Dinner was on one occasion a round of toast and on another a box of pringles! Lunch was usually a snickers bar on the hoof.

Bom Caminho!

Catherine
Advice about Santarèm . ask Mario of the Santarèm hostal "to get out of town "
As we did and never got lost .

Last edited:
Hi Albertinho - Thanks for the info the only reason for the metro start, walking through Porto did not seem too inspiring - a river walk sounds interesting but it looks longer than 10km. 20km on boardwaks is a fairly easy walk. Is your home in Porto?
Buen Camino. Colin
Colin. Following the Douro river to the end ( the Atlantic ocean) is a nice walk and then to the left direction Matosinhos along the ocean is nice too..it is about 10 kms to Matosinhos and is a good warming up for the days to come.
What I notice, being on this forum for some time ,is people only know about the walk out of Porto is not a nice one..the reason is that following the waymarkers direction airport, Maia and Vilarinho is the worst track of the caminho but unfortunately only mentioned in guides and sites among others from Vilalusitana because it is the traditional and ancient route.
The detour via Mayosinhos and Vila do Conde as described in John Brierley's guide and mentioned here a.o by me all the time is that this is a relaxed and lovely walk .
My hometown is not Porto but I know Porto very well.

Bom caminho

The detour along the river to the ocean is indeed excellent. From Sé to the bridge in Matosinhos it will be 10km on tarmac or cobbles sidewalks. Boardwalks start a bit north of the refinery.
When I tried to walk the camino I did this detour until the refinery and then cut inland near the airport (dangerous road) onto to the central route. After leaving the coast there was nothing noteworthy until Vairão where I stayed the night. It was 30-35km on the first day and that meant two blisters on the sole of my feet.
If you go along the coast it should get easier underfoot on the boardwalks, but going up to Vila do Conde might be to much of a stretch.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Ray,

Bom Caminho!

Catherine
Thank you Catherine for information.

I have booked at Santarem Hostel and have heard positive feedback about it. It is good to know about the food ..however I am looking forward for this adventure.

Will keep your advice about the waymarking.

Buen Camino,

Ray

Although never met Mario ...he has already been very helpful to me in my planning. I am sure he will help me with waymarking out of town.

Looking forward,

Buen Camino,

Ray

Although never met Mario ...he has already been very helpful to me in my planning. I am sure he will help me with waymarking out of town.

Looking forward,

Buen Camino,

Ray
Give him my regards please. And if.. You can play guitar.. He has a great collection of guitars.. I love to be there again and play one of his "axes"

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
And if.. You can play guitar.. He has a great collection of guitars.. I love to be there again and play one of his "axes"
Guitar!? I play guitar. In fact, I'll announce the 2015 special edition Camino Portugues custom made guitar picks. Pilgrims and hosts I encounter along the way are welcome to one of these. I 'plan' to be at Santarem hostel May 4. CP Pick.jpg

Mike and I are starting from Porto on May 31st and are doing what Albertinho suggests - walking the river route to Matosinhos on the first day (10 km) where we have a hotel booked. Then from there it's on to Vila do Conde and then the central route.

€60,-
Guitar!? I play guitar. In fact, I'll announce the 2015 special edition Camino Portugues custom made guitar picks. Pilgrims and hosts I encounter along the way are welcome to one of these. I 'plan' to be at Santarem hostel May 4. View attachment 17575
Will be in Santarem Hostel on 2nd , 3rd and leave morning 4th hope to see you before I leave to Golega!

Buen Camino,
Ray

Guitar!? I play guitar. In fact, I'll announce the 2015 special edition Camino Portugues custom made guitar picks. Pilgrims and hosts I encounter along the way are welcome to one of these. I 'plan' to be at Santarem hostel May 4. View attachment 17575
That is great news.. What a pity I am not there . We'll start in Porto this time but maybe you send me one in an enveloppe ? From every caminho we make a kind of framed presentation with items of the caminho like the scallop, the miniature botafumeiro ,the scallop tile and a pin yellow arrow with some pictures. Then I place the pic in this years frame. the camino welcomes everybody entering our home.
You will like Mario's collection of guitars !
More musical caminho tips.
In Coimbra opposite the cathedral every day at I thought 18h00 (ask the tourist info) there is a beautifull and touching Fado rehearsal with fado guitars in the Fado center -one hour -with a free glass of Port wine. Great to attend.
And If you end up in Braga at the backside of the cathedral is a nice guitar shop of the biggest Portugese manufacturer of Fado and acoustic guitars , APC from Braga ( Antonio Pinto Carvalho)
The shop is called Som da Sé (the sound of the Cathedral) the salesman of the shop is Luis Múxima, a singer songwriter in Portugal and very kind person.I met him twice ,once during our fist caminho and last year during our holidaytrip and bought a nice gypsy jazz guitar from him.http://somdase.pt
Ha ha the caminho connects but music too
Give Mario my regards in Santarèm.
image.jpg

Last edited:
I'll have your guide document on my phone. What are the two dependencies? I have JB's 2015 edition and pointed out to him the error in the map legend on page 197 (Portugal vs France route colors). Also a missed capitalization - but now I'm being picky! :)
Hi Steve the Planner

This might be a silly question, but how do you have the guide on your phone? Did you e-mail to yourself? I would like to know because I think it is a great idea. One less thing to carry.

Thanks

€149,-
Indeed the albergue is in the north of the central route and not close to Viana do Castelo
I sent an email to them and this was the answer I received a minute ago

Hi Albert! This is Lesley from the Quinta Estrada Romana - the albergue with the Beautiful Boot Project. Thanks for contacting us. We are located directly on the Camino Portuguese in the village of Passos. We are 10.5 km north of Rubiaes and 8km south of Valença do Minho We would love to host you - so when you have a better idea regarding your date of arrival - please let us know and we will book you.

Bon Camino

351 251 837 333

Lesley and Geof
Hi I sent an e-mail to the Quinta Estrada Romana through their web-site twice and got no response. Can you share how you e-mailed them?

Thanks
Bom Camino

Hi I sent an e-mail to the Quinta Estrada Romana through their web-site twice and got no response. Can you share how you e-mailed them?

Thanks
Bom Camino
They are not very fast in answering emails. I sent them earlier an email and never got an answer .I understood they are Canadians and not allways present in Portugal so I do not understand how they can run a hostal or albergue.
Anyway this is the emailaddress they once answered me.
quintaestradaromana@gmail.com

There is no need to stay there because a few kms further on in Ponte de Lima you'll find excellent places to stay.
Bom caminho

Hi Steve the Planner

This might be a silly question, but how do you have the guide on your phone? Did you e-mail to yourself? I would like to know because I think it is a great idea. One less thing to carry.

Thanks
It is a pdf file and there exist apps you can communicate with by Itunes
F.ex DS files or a musical app I use being a musician, called Piascore.
Whether I download music scores or files I use to walk the camino does not matter. It communicates and I can put my files on iphone or Ipad.
If you look to the first two thumbnails. This is Piascore. The app is free and has a lot of features for musicians but you can use the app for all kinds of pdfs to read out.
The DS file is the other free app,on the 4th tumbnail underneath you see "offline modus ". If you click on that button you get acces to your offline files on your ipad or iphone beacause DS files also has an online kind of cloud function where you can store your pdf files too.
I used the DS file app during my two caminos as a back up for my scanned maps and gathered travelinformation from a.o.this forum.
Next camino within two weeks I use Piascore because I am very familiar with it and use it allmost every day as a jazzmusician.

Bom camino

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    450.5 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    619.5 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    976.4 KB · Views: 6
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi Steve the Planner

Thanks
Not a silly question at all. You need a smart phone with access to your email (mine is Samsung Galaxy S4 and Gmail; don't know a thing about iPhones). Email the PDF files to yourself. Access that email from your phone and tap on the attachment which should download the file to your phone. On my system there is an icon for 'Downloads' (or somehow get access to the downloaded file). Tap on a file and it should open it up. My phone asks me which of three apps to view it in. Easy peasy. Now it's going to be small, but on any given day (to look ahead) you don't have much to read. I turn the phone sideways to get a wider/bigger viewing screen.

I'm actually taking an older smart phone because I don't want to risk my good one. It will be stripped down to just the essential apps. Here's another idea (I got from this forum). I've been using MapMyRide during my practice walks. This will work in Airplane mode, but have GPS turned on. It still captures the day's walk. When there is WiFi access, it can be synced up. Now you have an accurate map of your Camino with distances/times. I've also made a library of only fast tempo, good walking music. No sleepy stuff! (Of course, not to be used while walking on the highway, etc!)

And my last idea. Download Google Translate and language packs. In it's own right this is a really cool app. You can type in or even speak and it will translate and talk back. Without WiFi, you may lose some functionality, like speech input, because it wants to communicate with the cloud. As an American who has been to more than a few other countries, I think it is arrogant to expect others to communicate in English (although, it's normally not an issue). I will download Portuguese (I start from Lisbon), Spanish, French, Italian, and German, because you never know who you will meet on the Camino.

Of course, test all this before you go, and also test in Airplane mode to make sure it works without data access (WiFi). And since my Sprint CDMA phone will not work there for voice calls, I reluctantly will also carry a cheap local phone/SIM.

Bom Caminho

I won't be seeing any of you on the way as my Camino isn't until September!! Booked my flight to Lisbon today and I'm so pumped!! I've downloaded the updated guide posted by Peregrina 2000 and will delight in finding all these places in my Brierley guide!!!!
I will be arriving in Lisbon in early September to walk the Caminho Portugues. Walked the Camino Frances last September/October. John in New Jersey USA

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Looks like the number of people starting from Lisbon is on the rise. If you all are using our little online guide, https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/lisbon-to-porto-2015-version.298/ please let me know if you have changes or corrections or any comments at all for that matter! I think this year's "edition" is fantastic thanks to the help of so many forum members who walked from Lisbon last year. (In fact, I know of two instances in which "we" were right and "Brierley" was wrong! :))

Bom caminho, Laurie
Laurie, we're going to do this route in June. I will use a paper copy of "your" guide and jot down any note along the way and let you know on our return. What are the two instances where Brierley was wrong? I'm going to look over his book and transfer any of his pertinent info to your guide - would hate to take his mistakes!!!
Also, gronzemakes mention of an albergue at Vairão - but it is not mentioned in Brierley or the CSJ guide. DO you know if it is no longer open?

Laurie, we're going to do this route in June. I will use a paper copy of "your" guide and jot down any note along the way and let you know on our return. What are the two instances where Brierley was wrong? I'm going to look over his book and transfer any of his pertinent info to your guide - would hate to take his mistakes!!!
Also, gronzemakes mention of an albergue at Vairão - but it is not mentioned in Brierley or the CSJ guide. DO you know if it is no longer open?
Yes it is open.we will stay there april 25th next. It is 14 kms from the airport of Porto and 2 kms south east of the place Vilarinho which is mentioned in Brierleys guide.
If you stay there you are directly on the central route but read earlier post about the nasty walk out of Porto on hard shoulders of busy roads. (That's why the coastal detour from Matosinhos to Vila do Conde is promoted so often....but you can not have everything in life:p)

In addition :

<mosteirodevairao@gmail.com> wrote:

Good evening, Albert.
Can I write to you in English?
We don't have a room with two beds. But we have one with three beds that we can reserve for you.
We are an oficial albergue and we only take donations.
We will be very happy to have you here.
Bom Caminho!
Carla Silva
Albergue de Peregrinos do Mosteiro de Vairão

PS - If fhere is anything else you need, please don't hesitate calling me at 00351 966431916.

Bom caminho

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Albertinho what do you think of walking the coastal route as far as just past Villa Cha and take Rua da Praia eastwards to Mindelo...onto Rua da Estacao, over the A28 on M530, turn right into Rua Bernadino Jose Alves (still called M530 as well according to googlemaps), continue onto Rua do Crosto, turn left onto Rua das Pedreiras, continue on to Rua Padre Armando Quintas by which stage you should be able to see "Largo do Mosteiro 21" in Vairao -surely if we got that far we would be able to find the albergue!
That would be 28.3km from Matosinhos - the best of both worlds!!!!

Last edited:
The two errors (in last year's book anyway) had to do with the opening dates in the albergue in the monastery in Herbon and the phone number for the albergue in the house of the German man Alex and his wife, which is located before Quinta Cardiga. I don't have access to my computer for a few days so I can't search this out for you now, but will when I get back if this isn't enough to get you to the right information. Herbon is near Padron, a few km off route and very highly recommended. The other place is before Porto, so not a problem for you, I think. Laurie

Albertinho what do you think of walking the coastal route as far as just past Villa Cha and take Rua da Praia eastwards to Mindelo...onto Rua da Estacao, over the A28 on M530, turn right into Rua Bernadino Jose Alves (still called M530 as well according to googlemaps), continue onto Rua do Crosto, turn left onto Rua das Pedreiras, continue on to Rua Padre Armando Quintas by which stage you should be able to see "Largo do Mosteiro 21" in Vairao -surely if we got that far we would be able to find the albergue!
Is a possiblity !

Don't expect it is waymarked.

Hi StevethePlanner, I want one of those picks :)
See you on May 4
Bom caminho
Mario
Absolutely! You have your choice of colors: yellow or yellow. :) It will be a short walk that day from Porto de Muge.

€149,-
Absolutely! You have your choice of colors: yellow or yellow. :) It will be a short walk that day from Porto de Muge.
Great! then I choose the yellow one but if you run out of stock during the caminho till Santarém I will take the yellow :)
Porto de Muge is 15Km to Santarem, will arrive at lunch time, do You want to book a bed? Dorm or private room?

Not a silly question at all. You need a smart phone with access to your email (mine is Samsung Galaxy S4 and Gmail; don't know a thing about iPhones). Email the PDF files to yourself. Access that email from your phone and tap on the attachment which should download the file to your phone. On my system there is an icon for 'Downloads' (or somehow get access to the downloaded file). Tap on a file and it should open it up. My phone asks me which of three apps to view it in. Easy peasy. Now it's going to be small, but on any given day (to look ahead) you don't have much to read. I turn the phone sideways to get a wider/bigger viewing screen.

I'm actually taking an older smart phone because I don't want to risk my good one. It will be stripped down to just the essential apps. Here's another idea (I got from this forum). I've been using MapMyRide during my practice walks. This will work in Airplane mode, but have GPS turned on. It still captures the day's walk. When there is WiFi access, it can be synced up. Now you have an accurate map of your Camino with distances/times. I've also made a library of only fast tempo, good walking music. No sleepy stuff! (Of course, not to be used while walking on the highway, etc!)

And my last idea. Download Google Translate and language packs. In it's own right this is a really cool app. You can type in or even speak and it will translate and talk back. Without WiFi, you may lose some functionality, like speech input, because it wants to communicate with the cloud. As an American who has been to more than a few other countries, I think it is arrogant to expect others to communicate in English (although, it's normally not an issue). I will download Portuguese (I start from Lisbon), Spanish, French, Italian, and German, because you never know who you will meet on the Camino.

Of course, test all this before you go, and also test in Airplane mode to make sure it works without data access (WiFi). And since my Sprint CDMA phone will not work there for voice calls, I reluctantly will also carry a cheap local phone/SIM.

Bom Caminho
What great ideas!! I will use the Google translate and the downloads for the guide. Regarding MapMyRide, I will be bringing my Garmin 910 GPS watch. It will allow me to basically do the same things as MapMyRide. Since I have been using Garmin GPS for years for runing and biking I can keep the data for the Camino in one file.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Will be in Santarem Hostel on 2nd , 3rd and leave morning 4th hope to see you before I leave to Golega!

Buen Camino,
Ray
Ray I have decided to skip the stage between Alverca and Azambuja. I will be riding the train. The plan is I will leave Azambuja for Santarem on May 2nd. I will be staying in the Abrigo Peregrino in Azambuja on May 1st.

That seems like a good route. Albertinho is right, you won't have any arrows to point the way, but it isn't complicated.
This could also be an alternative, slightly to the south, it joins the Camino in Girão. It might be a bit more quiet despite passing briefly through industrial area.
https://www.google.pt/maps/dir/41.2...f27da3d99:0xf61f2b81c6a67b2e!1m0!3e0?hl=pt-PT

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Ray
You will be in Santarem Hostel with Restless and probably will walk together the stage Azambuja-Santarém.
Or will you do Azambuja-Porto de Muge-Santarem?
Ray I have decided to skip the stage between Alverca and Azambuja. I will be riding the train. The plan is I will leave Azambuja for Santarem on May 2nd. I will be staying in the Abrigo Peregrino in Azambuja on May 1st.

Dear Restless,
I will also be doing Azambuja to Santarem on 2 nd May ..will be staying at Flora Azambuja..will be glad to join you. Will stay at Santarem two nights as I plan to visit Fatima on the 3rd.
Thanks for letting me know, ..thanks also Mario

Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back