• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Portugues Oct-Nov?

yogapilgrim

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2013, Camino Portugues 2018
Hello peregrinos!
I will be doing my second camino and I cannot wait! This time I am walking the Portuguese way, from Lisbon to Santiago. I will be starting the 3rd week of October. I am trying to anticipate the weather,albergues and the flow of the days in general. I am also contemplating walking the coastal route from Porto to Spain. This camino I want to pack as light as possible. I have a good idea of exactly what I would bring if I were to do the Camino Frances again in September, but the camino Portuges in the late fall I have no idea what to expect. Especially weather: rainy? All day downpours? What exactly am I in for? And albergues: blankets? I hope to stay at the donativos or the cheapest albergues when possible. I have a wonderful down sleep sack that I brought last camino but didn't need. It keeps me warm and I get cold easily but will I need this? It weighs over 800g so is big conundrum! Any other relevant insight and tips from those who know this camino especially at this time of year much appreciated! Gracias!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Me and a friend are starting around that same time so I am glad you asked these questions. :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Good thread, also starting last week of October from Porto. I've found the list of accom posted here, but I'm still not clear if the albergues themselves stay open past October? I anticipate finding sparser lodging but hopefully enough open to lay our heads?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I walked between Santarem and Porto last Oct, 19th to 29th 2017. Weather was pretty good, sunny and warm, sometimes even hot during the day, wish I had taken shorts, colder in the morning but manageable. Occasional rains, not showers, drizzles mostly, poncho will do. Relatively easy route, apart from plenty of cobblestones, trail runners could be fine there. Re Lisbon-Porto: good alergues there, all or most of them have blankets and bed linens, so I only used my sleeping bag a couple of times, don't remember any donativos there up to Porto, apart from very basic Casa de Misericordia in Sao Joao. Another Casa de Misericordia in Santatem is 5 euros and has everything. Not many pilgrims there at that time of the year though, and some albergues could be closed from the begining of Nov, check it here Via Lusitana website. If you want to stay in municipal alberguies Lisbon-Porto make sure you are ready to walk 30+km every day till Coimbra, it gets easier after that. From Porto the infrastructure is great even in out of season, especially on the central route. One of my companions continued on the coastal from Porto, at the begining of Nov, was fine, more and havier rains and colder though. I'd take a sleeping bag with you as if it rains it could be cold in the albergues, and not everywhere heating is available. Bom Caminho! :)
http://www.vialusitana.org/caminho-portugues/albergues/

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello peregrinos!
I will be doing my second camino and I cannot wait! This time I am walking the Portuguese way, from Lisbon to Santiago. I will be starting the 3rd week of October. I am trying to anticipate the weather,albergues and the flow of the days in general. I am also contemplating walking the coastal route from Porto to Spain. This camino I want to pack as light as possible. I have a good idea of exactly what I would bring if I were to do the Camino Frances again in September, but the camino Portuges in the late fall I have no idea what to expect. Especially weather: rainy? All day downpours? What exactly am I in for? And albergues: blankets? I hope to stay at the donativos or the cheapest albergues when possible. I have a wonderful down sleep sack that I brought last camino but didn't need. It keeps me warm and I get cold easily but will I need this? It weighs over 800g so is big conundrum! Any other relevant insight and tips from those who know this camino especially at this time of year much appreciated! Gracias!
Hi Yogapilgrim, I have a ticket to Lisbon on October 18 so sounds like we are sort of close. I too wonder about the weather but expect "fallish" temps similar to New England in the states. Plan to stay a day or two in Lisbon, get my bearings, then start. I also considered the coastal route but I have read that this time of year can be quite windy there and unpleasant walking. If I like the Camino, may try that one next year before the summer heat. Thoughts?

Hi Yogapilgrim, I have a ticket to Lisbon on October 18 so sounds like we are sort of close. I too wonder about the weather but expect "fallish" temps similar to New England in the states. Plan to stay a day or two in Lisbon, get my bearings, then start. I also considered the coastal route but I have read that this time of year can be quite windy there and unpleasant walking. If I like the Camino, may try that one next year before the summer heat. Thoughts?
Where have you heard about the winds? This is the route we were planning, so I’d like to know what we’re up against.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Gosh I wish I could say as I have been all over the web doing research. Sorry I don't know where I read it. Maybe some else on this board will verify or debunk my comment.

Hi, I am planning on doing the Portugues from Porto to SDC starting Oct 19 - so very similar timing to what your post was about. Any recommendations for gear or what to expect? Thanks!

I started on the 1st and every day has been well into the 30s, hopefully that will change, but rather a drop in temp than rain. Bon Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I started on the 1st and every day has been well into the 30s, hopefully that will change, but rather a drop in temp than rain. Bon Camino
I started on October 1 five years ago. It was into the 30s every day then, too. It cooled down when we got to Galicia but that did lead to rain as well (it being Galicia).

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back